The Student Room Group

Driving licence Help

So, me and a close friend went on a night out together, and like I normally do because he has pockets, I normally give him my phone and my id (driving license) to keep safe. We have a good night, and get a taxi back home. Long story short, he gets arrested for being drunk and disorderly (at this point I have my phone but he has my id). Since he had my id, when he was released they wouldn't give him my id, so now the police have my id... How do I get it back? What do I do? Will I get it back?
Reply 1
Original post by Blue_19
So, me and a close friend went on a night out together, and like I normally do because he has pockets, I normally give him my phone and my id (driving license) to keep safe. We have a good night, and get a taxi back home. Long story short, he gets arrested for being drunk and disorderly (at this point I have my phone but he has my id). Since he had my id, when he was released they wouldn't give him my id, so now the police have my id... How do I get it back? What do I do? Will I get it back?

Go to the police station and ask for it back? Alternatively, give them a ring.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_19

It's probably going to be a bit of a nightmare.

Hopefully he has some of the paperwork from when he was released, and has the custody number (the reference number of his detention) or the details of the arresting officer. You go to the station where he was detained and hopefully it has a front desk - and make sure you take some other ID with you. You ask there or ring on the custody buzzer and explain the situation. It's very important to say that it was your ID and that it was not stolen. Give his name and the custody number and hopefully it is still at the station and hasn't been sent off to some other location. It might take a few visits, and chances are that the arresting officer isn't even based at that station.

If he's your "close friend", I take it he's half a mile into the friendzone. So apart from the fact that it's all his fault to begin with, I'd guess that he'll crawl through a barrel of broken glass for you. The better idea might be to get him to do the phoning around and arrangements -at the very least find out where to go, who to see and when.

EDIT: as a side note, although it's common practice, having someone else hold your DL is a horrible idea. It's actually a fairly serious criminal offence to be in possession of someone else's DL without good reason - and lets say you'd been seperated for some reason and you were nowhere to be found when he got arrested. It's not impossible that he'd also be arrested for that offence. Worse still, depending on his behaviour, they might think he's robbed you.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending