The Student Room Group

Should i do what my heart tells me to do?

lol corny title but anyway, i want to do computer science in university , but the TOP TOP unis require maths in A Level, and some unis that are okay does not require maths at A Level,

my subjects are Computing , business studies and economics, ( i dropped accounting)

im going to study A2 , i finished my first year of college.
i did not know you HAD to do A level maths to go to a top university , to study a computer science degree, no one informed me and i regret not taking the course, I DONT hate maths and i wouldn't mind learning maths if it means it allows me to study computer science and become a good computer scientist , because i love programming and everything to do with computers. anyway , my question is.

can i achieve a good degree in computer science without doing Maths at A LEVEL ? , and how hard will it be percentage wise ? and will i have a successful career , please give me a strict and truthful answer and please dont sympathetic lol :frown:.

OR

should i take the business route and study business management
Reply 1
I cant really give you advice about computer science, but regarding your a-levels, maybe see if your college offers some sort of fast track one year maths a level? tell them your situation and there may be some way you could drop one of your current a levels, and take on maths, if you have the ability to do so. just a thought.
Reply 2
Original post by facetious
I cant really give you advice about computer science, but regarding your a-levels, maybe see if your college offers some sort of fast track one year maths a level? tell them your situation and there may be some way you could drop one of your current a levels, and take on maths, if you have the ability to do so. just a thought.

thank you for your input , i will discuss about this when my college resumes which is pretty soon , ill get more information about taking maths a level in one year if its possible , however i have a feeling this will be soo difficult,
Reply 3
Actually based on the fact that you like maths alone, I think you should attempt A level maths... If you want it badly enough you'll probably figure out a way. Self-study maybe?

It would also be very helpful as you don't seem to have a science, which is the other thing they apparently look for.

(Like you, I also did not have a straightforward path into CS by any means. Mainly because I applied way after every conceivable deadline. :facepalm:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending