The Student Room Group

is using only freesciencelssons good for gcse revision

i have my gcses coming up and ive been using freesciencelessons to make my revision notes and learning them of by heart and doing past papers and i was wondering if this is sufficient enough for me to get a top grade because his videos are not very detailed instead to the point can someone plz help me cuz i dont want to be doing anything wrong and getting a low grade in science its something i want to do in college thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sophie-xo
i have my gcses coming up and ive been using freesciencelessons to make my revision notes and learning them of by heart and doing past papers and i was wondering if this is sufficient enough for me to get a top grade because his videos are not very detailed instead to the point can someone plz help me cuz i dont want to be doing anything wrong and getting a low grade in science its something i want to do in college thank you.

i have my gcses coming up too and though freesciencelessons is amazing, i don't think he should be your only method of revising. it'd be a good idea to make cue cards from his videos so you can learn things off by heart, but you should also try exam questions and watching other videos. the amoeba sisters are really good! but using one method of revision is never enough in my opinion, you should try lots of different things to help you understand, not only memorise.
Original post by qeachy
i have my gcses coming up too and though freesciencelessons is amazing, i don't think he should be your only method of revising. it'd be a good idea to make cue cards from his videos so you can learn things off by heart, but you should also try exam questions and watching other videos. the amoeba sisters are really good! but using one method of revision is never enough in my opinion, you should try lots of different things to help you understand, not only memorise.

That's what he said. Watching freesciencelessons, making notes and trying past papers.
I memorized all of the freesciencelessons videos for my GCSE's last year. In combination with past papers, I achieved a 9 in physics, biology and chemistry... so, I would say the information freesciencelessons provides is definitely sufficient to get a very good grade:smile:.
The best thing to do after listening to the FreeScienceLessons videos is to do past paper questions and any other practice questions you can find online. This way, you can identify gaps in your knowledge and fill in these gaps using your textbook. :smile:
Primrose kitten has some good videos too
i believe Freesciencelessons is the reason why my physics grade went from a 4 to a 8.
However don't forget to put something in your memory for good is to make sure you understand the topic in and out.I would recommend the cgp workbooks for what examboard (AQA,EDEXCEL).
Make sure you take notes while you watch him and make some flashcards on what you feel is necessary.
Use Freesciencelessons to cover the specification and make sure you start revising early as you can and use mocks to find your weaknesses.
Yes shaun is a god
Reply 8
Thank you as a lot of people are saying different things I’m sure I will try some other revision methods too
Reply 9
Original post by qeachy

Thank you will deffo try them out
Reply 10
Thank you I will deffo try this
Reply 11
Original post by A.ahmzz2k03
i believe Freesciencelessons is the reason why my physics grade went from a 4 to a 8.
However don't forget to put something in your memory for good is to make sure you understand the topic in and out.I would recommend the cgp workbooks for what examboard (AQA,EDEXCEL).
Make sure you take notes while you watch him and make some flashcards on what you feel is necessary.
Use Freesciencelessons to cover the specification and make sure you start revising early as you can and use mocks to find your weaknesses.

Yes I also have the cgp bookstore but I find it hard to use that as revision and prefer using cards I’ve made
Reply 12
Original post by Infinite Series
The best thing to do after listening to the FreeScienceLessons videos is to do past paper questions and any other practice questions you can find online. This way, you can identify gaps in your knowledge and fill in these gaps using your textbook. :smile:

Thanks
Reply 13
I guess I’ll see the results of my revision technique in My mocks
Its a good start, and can explain concepts which you may not understand but I would recommend doing other revision such as flashcards, past papers and the cup workbook/textbook.
Also find your teacher/ favourite science teacher to go though things with you and giveyou practice questions
Freesciencelesssons is a certified demigod
Yes - free science lessons is great. My daughter got 9-8 after watching him regularly.
I think the videos are good, but it's not enough. The best way to learn something is by being active and answering questions over and over again.
Like the others said, it's good to download past papers. You can also make flashcards and carry them around with you so you are always practising. Also Seneca Learning has questions too, so it's good to try it. The more the better!
Reply 18
Thank you everyone
A lot of the marks people lose at GCSE are not due to a lack of understanding, but due to not reading the question properly and having poor exam technique (e.g. only describing when the question says explain). I'm sure your teachers will cover this with you in a lot more detail, but if they don't, do look at old exam papers with the mark scheme and try past questions (use other exam boards or the old syllabus if you run out) to practice your technique.

While the videos are good, active revision (flash cards, making notes, mind maps) tends to be better than passive revision for really making things stick.

Quick Reply

Latest