The Student Room Group

Not meeting the requirements before applying?

Hi I’m doing the IB diploma rn and I really want to do law at Southampton. I need 666 in my highers to get in but rn I have 755 which could move to 765. Should I just not apply and give up? Is it like hard to get a conditional offer now because of my grades. Pleaseeee someone let me know what I should do!!
Continue with it as an aspirational choice but make sure you have others where you meet the entry requirements. Sometimes universities make offers to students slightly below their requirements,
Reply 2
Do you think it’s likely I’ll get in? How likely do you think a conditional would beeeee
Original post by samarativona
Do you think it’s likely I’ll get in? How likely do you think a conditional would beeeee

Nobody can tell you but often universities make offers to those just below. It is likely to be their standard offer unless you qualify for their contextual offer.

Put it this way even if you get rejected you have 4 other places you can apply to. Just make sure some of those are at or below your predicted grades.

If you dont apply you definitely wont get in and you make forever regret not trying.
Original post by samarativona
Hi I’m doing the IB diploma rn and I really want to do law at Southampton. I need 666 in my highers to get in but rn I have 755 which could move to 765. Should I just not apply and give up? Is it like hard to get a conditional offer now because of my grades. Pleaseeee someone let me know what I should do!!

Hi @samarativona,

Hope you are doing well. I completely agree with @swanseajack1, you won't know what will happen if you don't try. If you feel like you have had any difficulties during your studies which may have affected your grades then you may qualify for a conditional offer. If you contact the admissions team at Southampton, then they will confirm if you qualify for a conditional offer.
Even if Southampton may not be option, there are other really great universities that offer law, so it may be worth also looking elsewhere.

Hope this helps,

Faheema (Lancaster University Ambassador for Psychology)
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 5
The circumstances why I didn’t qualify was bc my grandma who I’m super close to was getting more and more unwell and was rushed to hospital, they said her heart is failing and there’s some fluid in her lungs or something along those lines. Do you think this would qualify? I don’t want to embarrass myself by telling my school about it, do you think I can directly contact Southampton or is it vital I tell my school?
You need to tell your school. Your referee should mention this as an extenuating circumstance and the university will then consider it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending