The Student Room Group

How big is the jump from AS maths to A2?

Recently received AS results:
A- Biology (80%)
A- Chemistry (85%)
A- Geography (85%)
A- Maths (92%) - UMS: C1:91 (retake from 73 in january), C2:92, S1:93

I would love to study geography at university, and I'm going to take a gap year. Admissions tutors that I have spoken to don't seem to have a preference as to which two subjects I carry on alongside geography.

I was looking forward to dropping maths for various reasons. However it seems to make sense to drop biology instead.

I've heard A2 predictions of +1 grade are generally realistic. But my maths teacher said that to get predicted an A she'd want to see UMS' in the high 80s. Does this mean the jump from AS to A2 maths is significantly bigger than it is is other subjects? Do you think I stand a realistic chance of getting an A* in maths? I worked really hard and i feel i have more to give next year. Also, I did enjoy maths at times, especially how methodical it is to prepare for exams..

Last question, about the A*. I'm doing OCR and I read that you need 80% overall in the A level, and 90% average across the C3 and C4 modules. If I managed to average 90 UMS across C3 and C4, and with my 91,92,93 in AS, does this really mean I could get 24 in S2 and still get the 80% across the A level so still get an A*? As 0.8 x 600 = 480.

Thankyou for reading, any advice would be fantastic!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I didn't find the jump too big, but when you've learned C3 and C4 and look back at C1 and C2 you can't believe how simple it was. Once you understand the concepts it's just about revising and doing lots and lots of past paper questions. Keep on refreshing your understanding of them and you'll be fine.
I did Maths and Biology to A Level and in all honesty I hated biology, the concepts were harder to grasp than AS and the exams could cover a wider range of content and you need to understand how to answer the question. Maths is much simpler to learn, so with scores like yours you should be fine. :smile:
Reply 2
I think the jumps between modules are pretty even. If you have 92% now you've a high chance of getting an A* as long as you keep working hard.
I would say to do the subject that you enjoy the most. I did maths but got bored of it so stopped working so hard which meant my modules weren't as high as they could have been.

Quick Reply

Latest