The Student Room Group

does anyone do this a level combo?

hi, does anyone do physics chemistry maths f maths? I know it's quite a common combo, but how are people finding it in general? does it overlap? what courses do you want to do with them? thanks!
Reply 1
I can't speak from personal experience, but my brother did these - I remember he said that the physics was very maths-heavy and chemistry had a fair bit as well, so obviously that would be a lot of maths overall! He chose to drop further maths after he got his AS level at the end of year 12, as he was finding doing all 4 quite overwhelming. He's doing environmental science at uni now.
Original post by ELEPHANTRAT
hi, does anyone do physics chemistry maths f maths? I know it's quite a common combo, but how are people finding it in general? does it overlap? what courses do you want to do with them? thanks!
@MP_25 :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by ezther1
I can't speak from personal experience, but my brother did these - I remember he said that the physics was very maths-heavy and chemistry had a fair bit as well, so obviously that would be a lot of maths overall! He chose to drop further maths after he got his AS level at the end of year 12, as he was finding doing all 4 quite overwhelming. He's doing environmental science at uni now.

ok thanks! that's similar to what I want to do as well :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by emm4nuella

sorry what do you mean?
Reply 5
I do those!! I think it depends on how your school decides to go about the subject but overall the mechanics part of maths and further maths really overlapped with forces and motion in physics for us and tbh I feel like I just do soooooo much maths now .....like I literally dream about numbers no joke ...
I enjoy chem quite alot especially (unpopular opinion) organic I think mostly because I just like escaping the maths and physical is just sooooo much maths. It's not even that hard it's just repetitive yk?

Further maths is really not even related to maths from my experience because it's like whole new maths concepts but they're not too hard to understand so far and having just finished AS level fmaths it's been pretty good but quite content heavy yes.

I'm a bit worried for year 13 tho 😬😬 because apparently the jump from year 12 to 13 is much worse than the one from 11 to 12 which I think is very scary..... But hopefully it should be fine!

I hope to do either chem or chem eng at uni but still undecided tbh!

Do you know what exam boards you're doing?? And don't stress too much because if you struggle to manage with subjects you can always drop! Some ppl at my school have even switched to diff subjects after Christmas!!
Reply 6
Original post by p_4
I do those!! I think it depends on how your school decides to go about the subject but overall the mechanics part of maths and further maths really overlapped with forces and motion in physics for us and tbh I feel like I just do soooooo much maths now .....like I literally dream about numbers no joke ...
I enjoy chem quite alot especially (unpopular opinion) organic I think mostly because I just like escaping the maths and physical is just sooooo much maths. It's not even that hard it's just repetitive yk?

Further maths is really not even related to maths from my experience because it's like whole new maths concepts but they're not too hard to understand so far and having just finished AS level fmaths it's been pretty good but quite content heavy yes.

I'm a bit worried for year 13 tho 😬😬 because apparently the jump from year 12 to 13 is much worse than the one from 11 to 12 which I think is very scary..... But hopefully it should be fine!

Do you know what exam boards you're doing?? And don't stress too much because if you struggle to manage with subjects you can always drop! Some ppl at my school have even switched to diff subjects after Christmas!!

Thank you so much for the reply! We're doing Edexcel for the maths, AQA for chemistry and OCR for physics. Do you think that the overlap in maths and physics makes physics easier?
sorry what do you mean?
just tagging someone who could help :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by emm4nuella
just tagging someone who could help :smile:
oh thank you!
Reply 9
heyy i do these, just not FM, honestly i find them not too bad, theyr're tough for sure, but it's better as you go through it since the content adds onto itself quite a lot in each subject which you need to makes sure you fully understand the basics but after that it gets easier :biggrin: they also give a nice open option when it comes to choosing uni courses - i decided on engineering in the end but there is so much variety in the courses.

as for content wise, the jump is pretty big so you need to be aware of that but the subjects within themselves have a a fair bit of overlap, particularly maths (mechanics) and physics, and also dependant on your FM option modules I know further mechanics goes into a lot of physics. I find maths and physics overlap to be quite nice since the maths they always say the further kinematics/mechanics is the 'harder it' but you cover it earlier in physics so its almost just revision sessions in a sense/further practise rather than learning more content. There are minor chem and physics overlaps in thermodynamics/thermal physics but not that much

honestly the combo is manageable as long as you make sure you actively work and revisit content fro the minute you 'finish' a topic doing past paper qu's and familiarising yourself with what questions are asked, i like using PMT moslty as they have 'cheat sheets' with the basic info and a lot of resources for all 3 subjects (not sure abt FM sorry)
but also for chem/physics i'm not sure if every school/colege has it, but my sixthform we have acess to kerboodle which has the textbook on that you can use too and so many end of topic resources, and content glossaries > the ohysics one particularly has a Yr1, Yr2, and full list with ALL the laws and all the particular wording you need which is super useful as they love definitions in the exams so the full wording is great.
My key piece of advice is making sure in terms of revision is looking at the wording of questions since they ALWAYS try to catch you out.
hopefully this is some help, goodluck with everything :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by MP_25
heyy i do these, just not FM, honestly i find them not too bad, theyr're tough for sure, but it's better as you go through it since the content adds onto itself quite a lot in each subject which you need to makes sure you fully understand the basics but after that it gets easier :biggrin: they also give a nice open option when it comes to choosing uni courses - i decided on engineering in the end but there is so much variety in the courses.

as for content wise, the jump is pretty big so you need to be aware of that but the subjects within themselves have a a fair bit of overlap, particularly maths (mechanics) and physics, and also dependant on your FM option modules I know further mechanics goes into a lot of physics. I find maths and physics overlap to be quite nice since the maths they always say the further kinematics/mechanics is the 'harder it' but you cover it earlier in physics so its almost just revision sessions in a sense/further practise rather than learning more content. There are minor chem and physics overlaps in thermodynamics/thermal physics but not that much

honestly the combo is manageable as long as you make sure you actively work and revisit content fro the minute you 'finish' a topic doing past paper qu's and familiarising yourself with what questions are asked, i like using PMT moslty as they have 'cheat sheets' with the basic info and a lot of resources for all 3 subjects (not sure abt FM sorry)
but also for chem/physics i'm not sure if every school/colege has it, but my sixthform we have acess to kerboodle which has the textbook on that you can use too and so many end of topic resources, and content glossaries > the ohysics one particularly has a Yr1, Yr2, and full list with ALL the laws and all the particular wording you need which is super useful as they love definitions in the exams so the full wording is great.
My key piece of advice is making sure in terms of revision is looking at the wording of questions since they ALWAYS try to catch you out.
hopefully this is some help, goodluck with everything :smile:
Thank you so much for the detailed answer! I'll save this so I remember the websites when the time comes- I've heard about revising immediately, honestly I need to start doing that with gcses too- I think our school does further mechanics so that should be helpful with physics.
Reply 11
Original post by p_4

hiya :smile: yr13 here, i can't talk for FM unfortunately but the yr 12-13 jump honestly isn't too bad - personally i found yr12 rough but as soon as i got to yr 13, i made sure to consolidate during summer (had a hectic yr12 with chem and physics teachers lol) and it wasn't as bad as they say
I do OCR chem + phys and edecel maths, maths was maybe the hardest 'jump' but we started a lot of yr2 content at the end of yr12. as for chem/phys we did up to mod4 in yr12, and mod5/6 in yr 13 now and they aren't bad, we've just abt finished the organic chem and are on our last 'big' content in physical chem and physics, mod 5 of physics starts with thermodynamics so just back to physical chem > ideal gas and Q=mcΔt etc so not too bad, mod 6 is slightly harder but it's not too bad, mostly magnetic/electric fields/forces and radiation which is just building from gcse pretty much and chem just adds onto in both organic and physical, so as long as you understand what you do in yr12, yr13 isn't too much harder :smile:
i also prefer organic to physical haha, and when it comes to uni if your considering chem eng, many unis will allow you to switch btwn engineering disciplines in first year, so for example i applied to civil eng (higher acceptance rate, sometimes lower grade reqs too) and the first thing they mentioned at open days/offer holders is that you could decide in first year that you want to switch disciplines and they woulnd't care since first year they cover general engineering concepts. obviously research the uni's you plan to apply too but many seem to follow the same structure :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by MP_25
hiya :smile: yr13 here, i can't talk for FM unfortunately but the yr 12-13 jump honestly isn't too bad - personally i found yr12 rough but as soon as i got to yr 13, i made sure to consolidate during summer (had a hectic yr12 with chem and physics teachers lol) and it wasn't as bad as they say
I do OCR chem + phys and edecel maths, maths was maybe the hardest 'jump' but we started a lot of yr2 content at the end of yr12. as for chem/phys we did up to mod4 in yr12, and mod5/6 in yr 13 now and they aren't bad, we've just abt finished the organic chem and are on our last 'big' content in physical chem and physics, mod 5 of physics starts with thermodynamics so just back to physical chem > ideal gas and Q=mcΔt etc so not too bad, mod 6 is slightly harder but it's not too bad, mostly magnetic/electric fields/forces and radiation which is just building from gcse pretty much and chem just adds onto in both organic and physical, so as long as you understand what you do in yr12, yr13 isn't too much harder :smile:
i also prefer organic to physical haha, and when it comes to uni if your considering chem eng, many unis will allow you to switch btwn engineering disciplines in first year, so for example i applied to civil eng (higher acceptance rate, sometimes lower grade reqs too) and the first thing they mentioned at open days/offer holders is that you could decide in first year that you want to switch disciplines and they woulnd't care since first year they cover general engineering concepts. obviously research the uni's you plan to apply too but many seem to follow the same structure :smile:
Ok thank you very much! How is physics? ive heard that it is a monster a level, but I really like it and am getting 9s (albeit sometimes with difficulty). Are the concepts logical to grasp?
Reply 13
Ok thank you very much! How is physics? ive heard that it is a monster a level, but I really like it and am getting 9s (albeit sometimes with difficulty). Are the concepts logical to grasp?
haha it for sure lives up to it's name :'D but the concepts are pretty ok to grasp once you actually apply them to real life situations/questions. tbf i really started on the wrong foot cause I didn't actually have a proper physics teacher, so we kinda just relied on ourselves to learn the content, but we managed it and it's very easy to improve when you isolate the areas you're weaker in.
I got an 8 in gcse, but also was just post-covid so a lot of our spec got taken out, but generally the alevel is a lot more of a stepping up knowledge you already have from gcses just throwing some funky curveballs in the middle, rather than being bombarded with completely different knowledge :smile:

if you really like it, you're already starting off really well since a lot of the times the content esp in questions seem to become repetitive and boring if you don't have much interest in it. with my teacher setback, my interest peaked doing our research practical (PAG12 OCR A) since it allows you a lot of freedom by researching a physics concept, and I linked mine to a bit of our yr13 content, which made me rlly excited for the content i'm doing now and I definitely understand everything a lot better now that i find it really interesting, so don't be discouraged even if you lose interest or aren't doing as well as you could be since the jump is still there and it takes time to get used to the change in pace and finding what works for you :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by MP_25
haha it for sure lives up to it's name :'D but the concepts are pretty ok to grasp once you actually apply them to real life situations/questions. tbf i really started on the wrong foot cause I didn't actually have a proper physics teacher, so we kinda just relied on ourselves to learn the content, but we managed it and it's very easy to improve when you isolate the areas you're weaker in.
I got an 8 in gcse, but also was just post-covid so a lot of our spec got taken out, but generally the alevel is a lot more of a stepping up knowledge you already have from gcses just throwing some funky curveballs in the middle, rather than being bombarded with completely different knowledge :smile:

if you really like it, you're already starting off really well since a lot of the times the content esp in questions seem to become repetitive and boring if you don't have much interest in it. with my teacher setback, my interest peaked doing our research practical (PAG12 OCR A) since it allows you a lot of freedom by researching a physics concept, and I linked mine to a bit of our yr13 content, which made me rlly excited for the content i'm doing now and I definitely understand everything a lot better now that i find it really interesting, so don't be discouraged even if you lose interest or aren't doing as well as you could be since the jump is still there and it takes time to get used to the change in pace and finding what works for you :smile:

ok thanks! our teachers should be OK, and we have a random trip to a theme park for forces on rollercoasters or smth- so at least I have something to look forward to!
Reply 15
Original post by MP_25
Original post by p_4

Hii! Wow so the jump isn't as bad as ppl say then?! I guess that makes sense, it's more so that we learn new concepts and not necessarily harder concepts.
I think I just assumed they saved the harder modules for year 13...would you say the difficulty of the modules isn't really any different to year 12 then?
And thanks for the info about the engineering because yeahhh I'm really undecided atm about what I want to do especially because I guess I like all my subjects the same amount so I don't exactly prefer one over another which is why I was thinking chem eng because altho it's alot of maths and phys I heard it also involves chem even if it's just a bit yk?
Reply 16
ok thanks! our teachers should be OK, and we have a random trip to a theme park for forces on rollercoasters or smth- so at least I have something to look forward to!
haha we were going to do that same kinda trip, but our school didn't let us cause it wasn't 'relevant enough' 😭
Reply 17
Original post by p_4

Hii! Wow so the jump isn't as bad as ppl say then?! I guess that makes sense, it's more so that we learn new concepts and not necessarily harder concepts.
I think I just assumed they saved the harder modules for year 13...would you say the difficulty of the modules isn't really any different to year 12 then?
And thanks for the info about the engineering because yeahhh I'm really undecided atm about what I want to do especially because I guess I like all my subjects the same amount so I don't exactly prefer one over another which is why I was thinking chem eng because altho it's alot of maths and phys I heard it also involves chem even if it's just a bit yk?yeah, i guess the modules are a bit tricky, but nothing harder than the other stuff, there's a lot of similarity with the first modules, some of it like capacitors is build up from the other electricity stuff but it's not that bad, the radioactivity stuff as well is pretty simple too, the only thing that's kinda tricky is all the calculations since some are SUPER similar but have slight different variables/uses for the calculations etc so you need to be aware of that.
i'd recommend also for the engineering stuff to go to taster sessions if you're able to, and also familiarise yourself with what the course is like cause even as someone who loves chem as well as engineering i also considered chem eng, but after a uni taster day i really didn't enjoy it much since it was more about technology and making machinery for chemical plants + analysis, at least from what i understood,
but obviously it's whatever you're interested in is the most important, so better to see for yourself, and you always have a degree of flexibity as well :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by MP_25
Original post by p_4

And thanks for the info about the engineering because yeahhh I'm really undecided atm about what I want to do especially because I guess I like all my subjects the same amount so I don't exactly prefer one over another which is why I was thinking chem eng because altho it's alot of maths and phys I heard it also involves chem even if it's just a bit yk?
yeah, i guess the modules are a bit tricky, but nothing harder than the other stuff, there's a lot of similarity with the first modules, some of it like capacitors is build up from the other electricity stuff but it's not that bad, the radioactivity stuff as well is pretty simple too, the only thing that's kinda tricky is all the calculations since some are SUPER similar but have slight different variables/uses for the calculations etc so you need to be aware of that.
i'd recommend also for the engineering stuff to go to taster sessions if you're able to, and also familiarise yourself with what the course is like cause even as someone who loves chem as well as engineering i also considered chem eng, but after a uni taster day i really didn't enjoy it much since it was more about technology and making machinery for chemical plants + analysis, at least from what i understood,
but obviously it's whatever you're interested in is the most important, so better to see for yourself, and you always have a degree of flexibity as well :smile:

Thanks for the advice! And that's a good point about the engineering, I'll look into some taster days especially cause I think there are some in a few months :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest