The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Mature Students Halls Thread

Scroll to see replies

Can I ask something

The idea of sharing showers with like loads of people really freaks me out (I'm quite hygienic kinda thing).

I was just wondering if any Halls have showers in the rooms that you're sharing with your flat mate rather than sharing with a whole corridor full of people.
Reply 101
has anyone ever shared and regretted it? im kinda thinking of sharing!
Hands_Clean
Can I ask something

The idea of sharing showers with like loads of people really freaks me out (I'm quite hygienic kinda thing).

I was just wondering if any Halls have showers in the rooms that you're sharing with your flat mate rather than sharing with a whole corridor full of people.

You get what you pay for.

Your room should have a shower, a toilet, a sink, a bed, a wardrbobe, a cupboard, a TV, a desk, a computer, a mirror, a notice board, a radiator, a chair and a chest of drawers.

You will have to share a kitchen and a laundry room with everyone else on your floor (maybe upto 10 people).
Okies!

Would there be a living area? Or do you spend your whole time in your bedroom?
Hands_Clean
Can I ask something

A lot of unis have en-suite halls. The rents are usually higher though.
I sympathise with everyone who can't sleep at the moment. It's been a bit of a nightmare here too! Although i've reached a point where i'm so tired all the time I just have to nap whenever I can and never get a proper nights sleep. It seems to have died down a bit now that everyone has the distraction of essays coming up, but i'm dreading the end of term parties next week.

Slamming doors are the worst, my house echos so much. Followed closely by drunk people shouting 'wooooooh' outside my window at 4am. Grrr.
Reply 106
I don't live in halls. I have my own home with my kids but I do live close to a social club and I have the same problem with drunks and noise, although most of the drunks who wake me are over 60!!!!!
They don't have the distraction of essays or exams to calm them down!
At least they're still living it up!
Reply 107
*starbuck*
I'm 23 now, so will be 24 when I go to University and I can't decide whether I want to live in Halls or not.

The thing is, I've never been one for going out drinking - I'd much rather stay in with a bottle of wine/good book/DVD/good company and conversation than go out any day

And I like my sleep. I don't want my first year ruined by the fact that I'll never get to sleep before 3am and have to live on about half as much sleep as I need. I get sick when I don't get enough sleep.

I hope to start rowing at Uni, so hopefully I'll make some friends there...and I'd like to learn how to climb too, so hopefully I'll make some friends there too. Not to mention course friends...will I really lose out by not living in Halls?

I know lots of places you can request to be housed with other 'mature' students and I'm thinking this is what I'd like to do. I don't have that "immature/silly/mess-around" streak in me that many do (never have) and immaturity just pisses me off. I fear if I were to live in halls, I would be ridiculed for being boring and a spoil sport by those just wishing to 'have fun'.

Anybody else having similar thoughts or have any advice to give?

Hi, can I ask where you are applying to?
Exeter!
Im quite worried about halls too. Not sure i like the fact that other people may pinch my food or just be really messy. Im also quite shy so it takes me a while to get to know people as well which is worrying because everyone might all make friends then im left on my lonesome for years :frown:
Herbie
Hi, can I ask where you are applying to?

Hi :smile:

My applications are in my signature, but in case that doesn't work:

Birmingham - Natural Sciences (Unconditional)
Durham - Zoology (Pending...)
Manchester - Earth Sciences (Unconditional)
Sheffield - Zoology (Unconditional)
York - Environmental Economics and Environmental Management (Unconditional)

Where are you applying/what for?
Drama Queen
Which Uni are you thinking of putting as your firm?

To be perfectly honest I have NO idea!!!

I'd love to go to Manc but I'm not as keen on that course, so probably Birm or Sheff.
I think they're both about the same really...I guess it depends which course I'd rather do and like I said before, I have NO idea! I like the potential diversity of NatSci but then the field trips with Zoology would be unbeatable! Oh decisions decisions...
Reply 113
I'll be 25 when I start at Sussex next year to study Mechanical Engineering and WILL most definitely be staying in halls!I really don't care about my age and I will show the youngsters how it's done!!

IMO, I see going to university as a right of passage and not just an academic exercise. I want a wholesome and diverse experience and will be completely immersing my self into university life.

I see it as very wasteful to not take advantage of the huge social melting pot that is university. At what other point in your life will you be in a position where you can meet such an incredibly rich and diverse range of people from pretty much every culture imaginable. Only at uni.

Don't hide away just because you're a little older. Go for it and embrace the whole experience.........

Or maybe I'm having an early mid-life crisis!! Lol. We shall see.
Reply 114
Mate, go for it...however, I guarantee you will regret it! Im 24 and living in halls, worst year of my life...FACT! studying mechanical engineering, you are not gonna have the time to party..so when people you live with studying humanities based subjects with very few lectures and not much work (in my experience) are drinking late and keeping you up with speakers on full blast......then my friend, you will regret that decision. If i were to do it again, I would most definitely go into a house share with mature students or professionally. I play a lot of sport, and involved with various societies and I have a buzzing social life.....just well away, from the nob heads that I live with! but.....I hope your experience will be different!
I say...a few negs here!

I am at De Montfort University in Leicester, and I am not a mature student however we used to have the best Students' Union Mature Officer who was in his 40's but still embraced the whole uni experience. He had to leave after his 1st year and the mature student role has never been filled like he filled it. He was great not just with the mature students but was able to mix with us younger students as well, and brought both groups together many times.
We all do so very miss him.
Reply 116
Not sure if this will help but here's my experience anyways...

I'm 41 and just finishing my 1st year at UCL doing Archaeology and living in halls. I'm single and relocated to London lock, stock and two smoking barrels. As 1st year accomodation is guaranteed for the 1st year and it was basically easy and less hassle than organising a private rental I went for it.

And, essentially it's been ok. Monday night is pound a pint and Fri & Sat are filled with drunk folks waking me up. I do my laundry late on Monday when everyone else is squiffy and Fri/Sat I'm usually out with friends and back late so it's not an issue. Year one gets 8/10 and the housemates could've been a lot, lot worse.

Year 2 I don't fancy playing 'dad' to some nippers and ofc my friends of my own age are settled so let's see how that goes. Plusses and minuses really in terms of finding somewhere to live.
I will not staying in halls due to personal circumstances. But even if the personal circumstances permitted it I would not.

The primary reasons are:

I do not see halls as the source of my social group, I see that coming primarily from university societies, but maybe also local clubs within the city and hence common interests, and maybe fellow students on the same course and again based upon a convergence of interest.

I like my music loud (usually ACDC or Hawkwind but I am partial to the black eyed peas too).

I like my movies in even louder.

Sharing a room full time would drive me nuts. I don't mind sharing with someone I know short term, i.e. a fishing trip or when visiting a jungle camp or similar.

Having spent the majority of my time in hotels for 20 or the last 30 years a study bedroom would drive me nuts, I have just had enough of that type of accomodation, I want a lounge area and a separate bedroom. I remember my reaction when moving our eldest son into his study bedroom in halls.

An aspect about halls that would not cause me an issue but is an issue for some, is sharing a bathroom, I camp a lot, the ultimate bathroom share, so no problem.

I will be sharing a house with 3 other students. The first my wife, the second our third eldest who will still be at college and our youngest who will still be at school and they all love ACDC and love it loud :biggrin:

In older halls the chances of being allocated a shared room and shared bathroom increases, especially in the first year, as 3rd years get preference on the single ensuite rooms, although I would imagine that in the absence of many other mature students ones chances of a private room and ensuite improve.

Newer halls seem to have a much greater percentage of single, ensuite rooms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending