The Student Room Group

The most suitable combination of AS/A-levels for a Psychology degree.

Hello :smile:
I'm currently in the process of choosing my A-levels for college (I'll start college this time next year) I really want to go to university and study Psychology, I have two AS/A levels in mind they are:
Combination one: Maths (simply focusing on statistics not all areas of maths), Biology, English literature and Psychology.
Combination two: English literature, English Language, Psychology and Sociology.
Could anyone advise me on which combination of AS/A-levels would be the most beneficial for me and why?:smile:
Oh, and could you keep in mind I'd like to go to a University that's at least in the top 10 rankings for Psychology. I'm thinking of Universities like: UCL, Royal Holloway, York and Southampton.:colone:
Any replies/advice would be really helpful.
I would pick your combination one (but I am very biased, I loved Biology) :P I did A-levels in Biology, Psychology, Maths (only one module in statistics though) and General Studies (bit of a fart, really) as well as AS Chemistry and EPQ, and now study Psychology in Birmingham.

An important thing to consider is taking a science subject (which does normally include Psychology) because this can affect your uni offers, e.g. for Birmingham you need AAA if you don't do a science subject, but AAB if you do (this saved my butt when I missed my predicted grade in psychology A-level!)

Statistics is particularly useful in a psychology degree, I have to do 20 credits (of 120) of statistics per year, which I don't mind, but it's the bane of many people's lives! Maybe that makes me enjoy it more, everyone else hating stats, but hey-ho, point is, a good understanding of maths and statistics will help you.

Depending on your future course content, Biology can be useful. My first year, for example had about 30% modules which were heavily biological bases.

They say that having Maths or Biology doesn't give you an advantage because they start lectures from a basic level, however I think that already having a good understanding of principles can help you to keep up with the content and also make revision easier. It would also save you from the stressing out that people do about these types of modules (which is also unnecessary, but some people seem to think that not having an A-level in a particular subject automatically means they'll flunk a module related to it!)

I guess one of the main things is to consider what you enjoy and what subjects you are likely to get the best grades in, but my advice would be that your combination one looks the strongest.

:biggrin:
I would personally pick combination one as it gives you a wider range of suitable A levels :smile:

Good Luck!
Agree with others, combo one is probably best (i had the same combination apart from choosing physics instead of biology) and got all my offers at similar unis to what you mentioned.
Reply 4
I'm very sorry to ask another question on this thread however im in the same predicament as you. I am planning on studying psychology to then go onto to clinical psychology or to do a law degree. My A level choices are Biology, German and Geography however i can't decide for my 4th out of history or sociology as my sixth form will not allow me do psychology and biology. I would consider chemistry however i dont particulary want to do it and therefore i apparantly will not get the grade. Is sociology a good choice or would i be better playing it safe with History?
Reply 5
Original post by callso
I'm very sorry to ask another question on this thread however im in the same predicament as you. I am planning on studying psychology to then go onto to clinical psychology or to do a law degree. My A level choices are Biology, German and Geography however i can't decide for my 4th out of history or sociology as my sixth form will not allow me do psychology and biology. I would consider chemistry however i dont particulary want to do it and therefore i apparantly will not get the grade. Is sociology a good choice or would i be better playing it safe with History?

I think it's best playing it safe! If you think you'll do well in History - take History! I also think think that doing a Chemistry A-level would also be quite beneficial in any profession you decided to go into, since Chemistry is such a hugely respect subject, but if you don't like it then do not take it. You've got more of a chance doing well in a subject you enjoy than a subject you dislike. Sociology could also be quite helpful because it kind of relates to Psychology in a way. But if you want to do History do History!:3
Oh, I hope you don't mind me asking but why on earth doesn't your school allow you to do Biology and Psychology?
Reply 6
Thank youi for your reply and our school puts the subjects into pools so that the timetable is sorted, you can only choose on subject from each pool and unfortunately psychology and biology are in the same pool. However my school releases the pools when it is too late for you to apply to college therefore i am stuck :frown:
Hey
Is sociology psychology and chemistry a good combination for Alevel

I don't know what careers to do maybe optometry or solicitor
What careers can I do with these subjects

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm planning to study psychology as a major in Uni but i'm not so sure as to where;

but the subjects i'm taking for AS are; English (to improve the C i got for the IGCSE), Biology, Psychology and Chemistry

then i am still contemplating if i should keep Chemistry or drop it in A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest