The Student Room Group

Why are people on TSR obsessed with the Russell group?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xiyangliu
Dude !! Same avatar !??!?!?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

There seems to be a slight difference in the contrast/brightness but Einstein is still awesome either way.
Reply 41
Original post by willbee
Did you take those then? Because I took Drama and A is not the average grade. I took it at a grammar school, where most people who studied it did so for their passion for the subject, even though it was generally their lowest graded subject.

I also know a lot of people who did art, but not many got an A.

I think it's a lot harder at A-level to do well in those subjects than you realise.

And AAA-AAB is never the average, that's why they are considered top grades, and the fact that you don't seem to understand this suggests you either went to a really good school and got good grades and think it's the norm whilst simultaneously having your head stuck up your arse because you're oblivious to the reality of most schools / colleges and you think those grades are average even though there are about 7 letters on the grading system below an A and only one grade higher, or you must be trolling.

Sorry ! Wat I meant was these subjects are considered as soft subjects by many universities, as they are also very popular, And no I took all sciences and maths.

Reply 42
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
There seems to be a slight difference in the contrast/brightness but Einstein is still awesome either way.

:biggrin: !! Agreed !

Reply 43
Appears to me that sociology is straight forward.. It is recommended to all student who is just interested to take an extra A level and wanted a good grade out of it, at Least in my school! I was interested and had a look at the text book, it requires almost no problem solving skills and almost no thinking at all.. All u had to do is taking notes and read ... Which was boring to me because most contents was common sense to me. And I am not trolling !

Appears to me that sociology is straight forward.. It is recommended to all student who is just interested to take an extra A level and wanted a good grade out of it, at Least in my school! I was interested and had a look at the text book, it requires almost no problem solving skills and almost no thinking at all.. All u had to do is taking notes and read ... Which was boring to me because most contents was common sense to me. And I am not trolling !

I does look like common sense doesn't it? I mean, it's not exactly further maths or chemistry is it?
Reply 45
Original post by Pepsi555647
I does look like common sense doesn't it? I mean, it's not exactly further maths or chemistry is it?

No it's not which is why it is very straight forward.

Reply 46
Original post by lumzz
To be fair I think using league tables doesn't really prove your point. I assume you took global rankings from the times higher education site, but if you look at the QS world rankings site, some universities namely: Warwick, Sheffield, Nottingham, Leeds, York, Southampton, Glasgow, and Birmingham all make the global top 100. Manchester is outside the top 20 in the UK, but is in the top 50 in both global tables. I agree that not that much emphasis should be placed on the university name/ranking, at the end of the day the most important thing is the individual and how hard they are willing to work towards their personal goals.

Your argument is self contradictory, if we shouldn't pay heed to tables then some self appointed pressure would count even less. At least the tables have some metrics

I don't use QS, bogus tables done by rejects
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Stilo
You can't really do this. To only cite thecompleteuniversityguide while trying to drive home your point only works to discredit you. The metrics used by each University ranking system is different; as such, you have Universities that are ranked differently on different league tables.

OK, if you insist but that would discredit the bottom half RG even more since all the tables' positions are about the same except for the Guardian which places unis like Manc outside the top 40 !

You asked for it ......
Reply 48
Original post by Zenomorph
OK, if you insist but that would discredit the bottom half RG even more since all the tables' positions are about the same except for the Guardian which places unis like Manc outside the top 40 !

You asked for it ......

Yeah that is why we ignore guardian....

Reply 49
Yeah that is why we ignore guardian....

Nothing wrong with the Guardian just cause you go to Manc. LOl
Reply 50
Sorry what I meant is it is considered as a soft subject by many universities not by me ! Perhaps I would be able to if I read a bit abt "theories" what I meant by "common sense" are the things they teach you in which requires no problem solving skills therefore it seems like common sense after you read it.

Reply 51
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?do=finduser&u=890263

There you go busted ! BSc maths from Manc.

What did I tell you guys about the bottom half RG students not declaring who they are then hyping their own unis ? Isn't that ultimate trolling ?
Reply 52
Original post by Meat is Murder
RG attract the best students: most courses ask for AAA - AAB. You step outside RG institutions and the entry requirements drop.

I study Mathematics at a 1994 group University. The entry requirements were AAA. I had an offer from a Russell Group University that was ABC.

Anyways, I would rather be in a city like Brighton than the likes of Liverpool/Birmingham/Belfast and the University of Sussex ranks higher than quite a few RG Universities both domestically and internationally.

Some people on TSR just have problems thinking for themselves. I shouldn't be complaining though, for every moron that thinks going to a RG University is the be all and end all, there is one less moron applying to my University.
Reply 53
Entrance grades perse mean F all. What it means is that somewhere is popular like drugs are popular, few would argue they are good.

Let's see, which uni does this meat guy go to, shall we do some investigative work ? 1.....2.....3:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?u=987498&userid=987498&filter[userid]=987498&page=2

WHOOPS, surprise surprise, engineering at Nottingham.

Isn't it an offence on TSR to sneak-hype your own institution ?
Reply 54
Your argument is self contradictory, if we shouldn't pay heed to tables then some self appointed pressure would count even less. At least the tables have some metrics

I don't use QS, bogus tables done by rejects

Personally, I'm more inspired by departments than league tables. I got offers from Manchester, Warwick, UCL, Nottingham and Sheffield for Computer Science with all offers between AAA-ABB, I chose Manchester as I loved the city and the department, while I found UCL and Warwick boring and overpriced. When you say lower RG uni's you lose me a little would you say employers look at 1st/2:1 from Manchester/Bham, as beneath a 1st/2:1 from UCL/Warwick?

btw what uni. in london do you go to?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by lumzz
Personally, I'm more inspired by departments than league tables. I got offers from Manchester, Warwick, UCL, Nottingham and Sheffield for Computer Science with all offers between AAA-ABB, I chose Manchester as I loved the city and the department, while I found UCL and Warwick boring and overpriced. When you say lower RG uni's you lose me a little would you say employers look at 1st/2:1 from Manchester/Bham, as beneath a 1st/2:1 from UCL/Warwick?

btw what uni. in london do you go to?

It's only my opinion but yes I feel a 1st from UCL/ ICL/ LSE/ StA/ Edin is better than one from the other three.

one of the better UoL colleges
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
It's only my opinion but yes I feel a 1st from UCL/ ICL/ LSE/ StA/ Edin is better than one from the other three.

one of the better UoL colleges

Which of the UoL colleges though UCL,KCL,LSE or ICL? I respect your opinion but as someone who has parents and family that work in high ranking financial establishments I would disagree. My mother dislikes in particular UCL, and my uncle who got his BSc from Imperial when it was still part of the University of London didn't enjoy his time there. I've been told by members of their respective human resources departments also that a 1st from any respectable uni will get you an interview with most companies but a full CV, experience, and a strong personal conviction about your goals will get you a long way. It seems like you really dislike some RG unis why is this?
Reply 57
Original post by lumzz
Which of the UoL colleges though UCL,KCL,LSE or ICL? I respect your opinion but as someone who has parents and family that work in high ranking financial establishments I would disagree. My mother dislikes in particular UCL, and my uncle who got his BSc from Imperial when it was still part of the University of London didn't enjoy his time there. I've been told by members of their respective human resources departments also that a 1st from any respectable uni will get you an interview with most companies but a full CV, experience, and a strong personal conviction about your goals will get you a long way. It seems like you really dislike some RG unis why is this?

I think the poster you're quoting hasn't even entered Uni yet.
Reply 58
Original post by lumzz

What high ranking financial establishments ?
Reply 59
What high ranking financial establishments ?

Accenture, Barclays, and a family member in Oracle

You still have not mentioned the UoL college you attend btw...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending