The Student Room Group

Have I lost my potential for not going to a Russel Group Uni?

I got A*AA and wanted to do something with Politics and Economics but my choices were limited to only KCL and SOAS with Political Economy at Kings and Politics and Economics at SOAS. My application to kings was 'unsuccessful' (they didn't even get to have enough time to ACC see my application) but I still got accepted to SOAS.

If I had known, I would have gone and applied to UCL for History Politics and Economics, but now I know it's too late. SOAS is still good but not as good as the Russell Group Unis and my family did not want me to go to any outside London Unis (IK it was a *****y situation but I couldn't do anything about it). Every1 keeps on saying that I lost potential and honestly I feel like I have and I feel so wasted and terrible about it to the point I am almost feeling depressed.
Reply 1
RG is mostly nonsense - its just a marketing idea - and it doesnt mean any thing significant at all.
If you are enjoying the degree you are doing, stop worrying. A degree from SOAS is a great thing to have and certainly isnt going to hold you back.
RG or not is not going to make a lick of difference. Stop listening to people that bought into the hype and want to feel superior.

Make the most of your time there.
Original post by Anonymous
I got A*AA and wanted to do something with Politics and Economics but my choices were limited to only KCL and SOAS with Political Economy at Kings and Politics and Economics at SOAS. My application to kings was 'unsuccessful' (they didn't even get to have enough time to ACC see my application) but I still got accepted to SOAS.

If I had known, I would have gone and applied to UCL for History Politics and Economics, but now I know it's too late. SOAS is still good but not as good as the Russell Group Unis and my family did not want me to go to any outside London Unis (IK it was a *****y situation but I couldn't do anything about it). Every1 keeps on saying that I lost potential and honestly I feel like I have and I feel so wasted and terrible about it to the point I am almost feeling depressed.

Hi there!

I know it can feel quite disappointing not getting into a choice of your university but it’s also important to remember it’s not just about the university name, it also about your course and how you make the most of your time at university. Getting into university is still a great achievement, and once you’re settled in it’s more about how you use the facilities around you to help you reach your potential.

I hope this helps!

Shreya
Lancaster student ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Can you take a year out, do some interning and reapply to UCL / Russell group unis? Your grades should be good enough. If you're capable then I'm sure you will achieve whatever you want to from SOAS, but a UCL degree might make the initial graduate job search easier.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Laffer
a UCL degree might make the initial graduate job search easier.

It wont make any difference at all.
Its only school leavers that obsess about 'which Uni'.
Employers will not give monkeys between SOAS and UCL
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger

Sorry that's simply not true, sure some employers won't care, but depending on what you want to go into there are preferences.
Reply 7
I would not put all my emotion time and energy obsessing over an RG. Sure RG get funding for research, but there are unis out there that are not RG which are really good for a particular type of field. For physics Lancaster, a non RG uni is one of the best and gets results when it comes to getting internships and jobs, and plenty of research funding. Loughborough is well known for sports.
Its not you losing potential, but the people around you who are putting you down are losing the potential. Losing the potential of being a good support system.
If you only chose two choices, then you should have another 3 you can try?
Bath uni is a great one. LSE is AAA. Bristol, thats an RG, and has direct train links to London. Queen Mary is AAA, thats an RG?
Original post by McGinger

Yes they do - its often a filter in conjunction with your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending