The Student Room Group

Things you wish you knew before starting Mechanical Engineering degree

share your mistakes, secrets to success and general tips

also info about internships
Reply 1
bump. wish to know too!
I wish that before I started mechanical engineering I knew that having a degree in the subject doesn't mean you'll actually be any good at it in real life. The degree only focuses on the maths/analytical side; there is a whole world of engineering beyond just using equations. I wish that before I started engineering I had gotten some short work experience at a more hands on or practical level. This would've greatly helped me in both my internships.

Regarding internships, what do you want to know?
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
I wish that before I started mechanical engineering I knew that having a degree in the subject doesn't mean you'll actually be any good at it in real life. The degree only focuses on the maths/analytical side; there is a whole world of engineering beyond just using equations. I wish that before I started engineering I had gotten some short work experience at a more hands on or practical level. This would've greatly helped me in both my internships.

Regarding internships, what do you want to know?

Well the quantity of the practical sessions and the focus on maths depends mainly on the Uni you attend :wink:
Original post by alexkol
Well the quantity of the practical sessions and the focus on maths depends mainly on the Uni you attend :wink:

All university engineering degrees focus almost solely on the maths and analysis. Regardless of how practical your degree is, you'll still find yourself with a steep learning curve if you go into an operations based role rather than a design or analysis one.

Quick Reply

Latest