The Student Room Group

Exam results

i am going to do an access course (certificate of higher education) which universitites accept for my course but i have to get distinction, i have done a levels and got B in chemistry , C in maths and C/B in biology. my question is shall i retake 1 unit in chemistry to push to A and to get a B in biology and to get a good score on this access ? or is it a good idea to focus on one thing? cause the access courses are like AS level things?
Last question if i want can i put my gcse grades and putting my B grades on UCAS and not to put the C for maths?
Just focus on the Access course, usually universities will base their offers on the result you get from that. They are challenging enough on their own and your A-levels are already decent so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As for your GCSEs you must put all your qualifications down, don't leave any out even if you do not like the grade you got at the end. Since Maths at grade C is usually a basic requirement it's crucial you put it down.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Just focus on the Access course, usually universities will base their offers on the result you get from that. They are challenging enough on their own and your A-levels are already decent so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As for your GCSEs you must put all your qualifications down, don't leave any out even if you do not like the grade you got at the end. Since Maths at grade C is usually a basic requirement it's crucial you put it down.

no i did ok in GCSES did 8 and got grades between A* to B grades
cause i am applying to Kings they accept this access so you mean i should not push to an A for chem ? i was quite close got 443/600 ums only 37 ums of an A?
for A level maths i got a C but i dont want to put it cause is not essential for my course? i mean will they find out or not
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by british airways
cause i am applying to Kings they accept this access so you mean i should not push to an A for chem ? i was quite close got 443/600 ums only 37 ums of an A?

Okay, but in the original post you said you got a C in Maths GCSE, unless I read it wrong. If you meant it at A-level you must still put it down, as all qualifications must be declared.

You can push for the A if you like, but usually Access courses are accepted on their own (they are designed for mature students who do not have A-levels).
Unless you want to go to the likes of oxford and cambridge I would suggest focusing on your Access Course as that is what the uni's will look at.
Okay, but in the original post you said you got a C in Maths GCSE, unless I read it wrong.

You can push for the A if you like, but usually Access courses are accepted on their own (they are designed for mature students who do not have A-levels).

sorry i meant A level maths :colondollar:

so how come then kings accepted it they said you can either retake or do this access? are they equivalent ?
Reply 6
for A level maths i got a C but i dont want to put it cause is not essential for my course? i mean will they find out or not

Can tell this is the old 'otrivine'
Original post by StudentWhat
Unless you want to go to the likes of oxford and cambridge I would suggest focusing on your Access Course as that is what the uni's will look at.

sadly they dont have the course i want and i want to stay in London
sorry i meant A level maths :colondollar:

so how come then kings accepted it they said you can either retake or do this access? are they equivalent ?

Yeah, it's often the case that Access courses are accepted in lieu of A-levels, because they are designed to make it easier for people to access university without having to go back to college full-time. :smile:
Original post by fayled
Can tell this is the old 'otrivine'

who is this otrivine?
Yeah, it's often the case that Access courses are accepted in lieu of A-levels, because they are designed to make it easier for people to access university without having to go back to college full-time. :smile:

thank you :smile: so if you were in my position do you think is good to make chemistry A and biology B?
and will they find out if i dont put A level maths
:smile: cheers
Reply 11
who is this otrivine?

You write in exactly the same way and are posting the same things as otrivine did.
thank you :smile: so if you were in my position do you think is good to make chemistry A and biology B?

I strongly suggest you put A-level maths down even if you might not like the grade C (it's a decent grade) because they can withdraw offers if they find you're hiding things from them. In practice I'm not sure if they can/will find out but it's best to be safe than sorry.

I honestly don't think it will make a huge difference to your application if you increase your A-level grades as long as you aim for a Distinction in your Access course. It's quite hard by itself to do, only resit A-level exams if you know you won't be compromising time you could be spending on your Access diploma work.

You have to declare all of your qualifications, if you don't and the university somehow founds out that you've lied to them then they can retract any offer that they make you. Beside a C at A-level Mathematics is nothing to be ashamed of, it's a good grade.
Original post by Picture~Perfect
You have to declare all of your qualifications, if you don't and the university somehow founds out that you've lied to them then they can retract any offer that they make you. Beside a C at A-level Mathematics is nothing to be ashamed of, it's a good grade.

thanks :smile: but how ? cause pharmacy maths is not that important but bio and chem are more especially chem
can they check like with the exam boards?
I strongly suggest you put A-level maths down even if you might not like the grade C (it's a decent grade) because they can withdraw offers if they find you're hiding things from them. In practice I'm not sure if they can/will find out but it's best to be safe than sorry.

I honestly don't think it will make a huge difference to your application if you increase your A-level grades as long as you aim for a Distinction in your Access course. It's quite hard by itself to do, only resit A-level exams if you know you won't be compromising time you could be spending on your Access diploma work.

thank you :smile:
sadly they dont have the course i want and i want to stay in London

Ah okay, well then that could work out for the best then :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending