The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Oooh wow, thank you for the advice. I think I may just apply for Liverpool, HYMS, UEA and Sheffield/BSMS perhaps
Reply 581
Hello everyone,
Just poised to apply for my 4 Unis, and am wondering what chance do i really have.
Have got 5 A's at AS level and 7a* and 8 a's at GCSE. However, i haven't done much work experience in a hospital but have volunteered in several places.
I got 625 average in my UKCAT :s-smilie:

Thinking of taking a gap year, might do me some good.
(AS subjects = Math, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, English)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 582
Original post by Frenz3
Hello everyone,
Just poised to apply for my 4 Unis, and am wondering what chance do i really have.
Have got 5 A's at AS level and 7a* and 8 a's at GCSE. However, i haven't done much work experience in a hospital but have volunteered in several places.

Well my younger brother tried to fit into Calpol, but he couldn't get in it. The bottle was too small xD

In all seriousness, rather hard - but your GCSEs are great, as are your A levels.

Also, please note that you should write "5 As" not "5 A's". Don't make that mistake on your PS for God sake!
Reply 583
Right Thank you :smile: lol
Reply 584
hi looking for some advice here should i apply to Edinburgh?
i am studying maths physics biology at A2 and Chemistry at AS and A2

Heres what ive got so far:

AS levels - 4As maths physics biology ict (averaged 90%)
GCSE - 2A* 4A 3B 1A (shortcourseR.S.)
UKCAT - 667.5

A lot of extra curricular stuff, such as gold DoE, rugby 1st XV captain, dep head boy, a lot of volunteer work and some work exp...

any comments would be greatly appriciated!
Reply 585
Original post by jake1
hi looking for some advice here should i apply to Edinburgh?
i am studying maths physics biology at A2 and Chemistry at AS and A2

Heres what ive got so far:

AS levels - 4As maths physics biology ict (averaged 90%)
GCSE - 2A* 4A 3B 1A (shortcourseR.S.)
UKCAT - 667.5

A lot of extra curricular stuff, such as gold DoE, rugby 1st XV captain, dep head boy, a lot of volunteer work and some work exp...

any comments would be greatly appriciated!

I wouldn't apply your GCSE grades will let you down. Average applicant to Edinburgh has at least 6A*s with the top third with 8-11.
Reply 586
Original post by myyrh
I wouldn't apply your GCSE grades will let you down. Average applicant to Edinburgh has at least 6A*s with the top third with 8-11.

thanks, what would you (or anyone else) say to - Queens Belfast, Aberdeen, Dundee and Manchester?
Reply 587
Original post by jake1
thanks, what would you (or anyone else) say to - Queens Belfast, Aberdeen, Dundee and Manchester?

GCSEs would probably let you down for QUB. Not sure about Dundee and Aberdeen but you're fine for Manchester.
Reply 588
Hi,

I'm applying for undergraduate medicine.

Scottish Highers - AAAAA
Standard Grades - 11111111
UKCAT - 740
Quite a lot of work experience and voluntary work, some extra-curriculars

Thinking of:

Edinburgh
Dundee
Aberdeen
Glasgow

Any advice? Thanks :smile:
Reply 589
Looking at Liverpool's GCSE point system my top 9 GCSE's would get me 16 points there, what was their cut off for that section last year and would it vary much for this year?
Reply 590
Original post by Amz1217
Looking at Liverpool's GCSE point system my top 9 GCSE's would get me 16 points there, what was their cut off for that section last year and would it vary much for this year?

Apparently it was 17. It doesn't vary and realistically you only have a good chance with 17-18/18 points.
Reply 591
Hi, im currently studying for my as levels and ive been really worried about a couple of things, firstly, my GCSE results were not great as I mucked about for most of year 10 and really did not concentrate. I got:4 A's3 B's3 C'sI got a c in english language which ive heard is not enough, i can retake, is that worth it? and another thing are my results good enough for me to stand a chance if i perform really well at A levels?I am studying Biology, chemistry, history and PE and i know they are not the most academic subjects, I am predicted A's and I know i am capable of achieving them. Do I stand any chance of getting into medical school atall?If not should I do a degree in a science course then apply?Work experience and volunteering is not a problem!any help would be greatly appreciated as I am really worried that I may not have a chance atall,thankyou
Reply 592
If you apply to your strengths (i.e. places which place more emphasis on GCSE/AS results rather than UKCAT), and have a good PS reflecting on your experiences, then you stand a reasonable chance. It would be fine to apply for deferred entry this year if you wanted to, provided you had some sort of idea of how you might spend your year out.
Reply 593
Original post by Theresa C
Well my younger brother tried to fit into Calpol, but he couldn't get in it. The bottle was too small xD

Hahahahaaaaaa, oh dear :wink:.

Original post by Frenz3
Hello everyone,

Hi,
You may want to consider doing the BMAT and applying to some BMAT universities (UCL, ICL, Cambridge, Oxford); if you've got all A's in four sciences + a non science, you're definitely in a good position for these Universities and you're more likely to perform well on the BMAT (1st Section- Critical Thinking [Analysing arguments, main conclusions, reasons etc.]- Well supported by English; 2nd Section- Scientific Knowledge- Well supported by your four science ASes; 3rd Section- Essay- Well supported by your AS in English). Register now and start revising for it soon.
I wouldn't necessarily advise applying to all BMAT universities (obv. you can't apply to Cambridge and Oxford), I'd say one of Cambridge and Oxford, one of UCL and ICL, and then two Universities which don't consider the UKCAT or the BMAT/ don't really look at them much (Birmingham, Bristol, UEA, BSMS, Keele, Liverpool, Lancaster etc). I'd definitely recommend an application to Birmingham in your case; you've got 7A*s and very good AS results, and they have the highest ratio of interviews to offers.
If you want to take a gap year, I'd advise you to apply this year for normal entry and then phone up the university once you have an offer and ask if you can defer. They'll ask you for a reason, but if you say something along the lines of you wanting to get more experience/ wanting to get a job in a hospital environment, I'm sure they'll say yes.

Best of luck :smile:.
Reply 594
are igcse's considered by med schools as gcse's? they're quit harder i heard
Original post by DezDefier
are igcse's considered by med schools as gcse's? they're quit harder i heard

they are considered the same.
Original post by S8m8o
Hi, im currently studying for my as levels and ive been really worried about a couple of things, firstly, my GCSE results were not great as I mucked about for most of year 10 and really did not concentrate. I got:4 A's3 B's3 C'sI got a c in english language which ive heard is not enough, i can retake, is that worth it? and another thing are my results good enough for me to stand a chance if i perform really well at A levels?I am studying Biology, chemistry, history and PE and i know they are not the most academic subjects, I am predicted A's and I know i am capable of achieving them. Do I stand any chance of getting into medical school atall?If not should I do a degree in a science course then apply?Work experience and volunteering is not a problem!any help would be greatly appreciated as I am really worried that I may not have a chance atall,thankyou

You should probably retake all the core subjects if you haven't got an A in them at least. Ideally you should be aiming to have A*'s in your core modules, but having at least A's in them will give you more options to which Med schools you can apply to.
Graduate entry into medicine is much tougher than undergraduate entry.
Suitable for an Oxford application?

Currently in Year 12

GCSEs: 6A*s, 4As (and a B in short course Classical Civilisations)
Plan to retake a GCSE as was one mark off the A*

AS: A in Chemistry, taken a year early (in year 11)
AS predictions: AAAA (Bio, Phys, Maths, Further Maths)

A2 Predictions: A*A*AA (conservatively, I these are what I think I can get, officially they may say 3A*s)

Extracurriculars: President of local Interact club, head of house, student mentor, volunteering with local maths and english study group, youth advisor on local parish council,

Work experience: Maxillofacial ward for 1 week, shadowing a consultant. 2 days shadowing junior doctor. 5 days in main theatre observing consultant. Trying to organise volunteering on a hospital ward, potentially once per week until application.

So, Oxford? Yay or nay?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 598
Original post by Marshton
Suitable for an Oxford application?

Currently in Year 12

GCSEs: 6A*s, 4As (and a B in short course Classical Civilisations)
Plan to retake a GCSE as was one mark off the A*

AS: A in Chemistry, taken a year early (in year 11)
AS predictions: AAAA (Bio, Phys, Maths, Further Maths)

A2 Predictions: A*A*AA (conservatively, I these are what I think I can get, officially they may say 3A*s)

Extracurriculars: President of local Interact club, head of house, student mentor, volunteering with local maths and english study group, youth advisor on local parish council,

Work experience: Maxillofacial ward for 1 week, shadowing a consultant. 2 days shadowing junior doctor. 5 days in main theatre observing consultant. Trying to organise volunteering on a hospital ward, potentially once per week until application.

So, Oxford? Yay or nay?

Nay. GCSE grades too low sorry (Don't get me wrong they're very good, just not up to what Oxford require as they look at %of A*.
Reply 599

Latest

Trending

Trending