The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by badwolf96
Hey guys. Here's what I've done:

x

Content wise your fine.

But in medicine, it is not about how much you do. Medical schools don't really care about what you have done. They are more interested in what you have gained from doing it, what you learned from it, and how it changed you as a person. Reflection> Content.
Just apply to universities that set no A/A* GCSE requirements - Cambridge for ex. only ask for 5 A*-C's. To be competitive you really want to aim for 100 UMS in your AS modules though, and get some good work experience.
Reply 1182
Should I consider a Biomedical course to medicine then?
Original post by Pentium
Should I consider a Biomedical course to medicine then?

You should research alternatives to medicine, it doesn't need to be biomed even if you want to do GEM.

There are a couple of places which will take you iirc, if you had another A then you could be set for a few more so it might be worth doing some resits.
Original post by Helloworld_95
You should research alternatives to medicine, it doesn't need to be biomed even if you want to do GEM.

There are a couple of places which will take you iirc, if you had another A then you could be set for a few more so it might be worth doing some resits.

I got two offers from medical schools with 1A* 2A 6B and a C.
It's possible to do it man but it's not easy.
You might need to take a gap year.
But think about the situation especially with the fee's the way they are at the moement and postgraduate medicine being so much more competitive as well.
It depends on other stuff you do such as work experience and your A levels though.
And of course getting a good UKCAT score always helps.
Some uni's really don't care about GCSE's as long as you meet the minnimum requirements. They will then just rank you on like UKCAT or something to select for interview.
Original post by CpnCornetto
But think about the situation especially with the fee's the way they are at the moement and postgraduate medicine being so much more competitive as well.
It depends on other stuff you do such as work experience and your A levels though.
Some uni's really don't care about GCSE's as long as you meet the minnimum requirements. They will then just rank you on like UKCAT or something to select for interview.

Did you end up buying the cornettos you promised everyone?
Reply 1186
Original post by CpnCornetto

Legend dude! Btw what a-levels did you get and UKCAT Sore and is work experience all about the time you do it for or the myriad of places you go to?
Reply 1187
Currently I'm in year 12 and I have taken Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths
I'm predicted all A's at AS level

At GCSE (my main concern) I didn't do as well as I had hoped and only got 5A* 4A 1B
(B in english literature :frown:)

I'm not worried about work experience and extra curricular as I have lots of things lined up for that to do next year which I'm really excited about

Is it uncommon for people with my grades to get into medicine?
I'm sure there are places that will consider you with those grades.
Just be careful when applying to make sure you apply to places that are likely to consider you (do your research!).
Definitely, 6A's is enough for all but a handful of med schools and your GCSEs are enough for some of those too.
look at medicane stalking pages from previous years and compare yourself to those people

then think about it.. in all honesty if it is a good idea

ryan

p.s. i dont hink they are bad grades... its just that its only one factor
That is more than fine. Do not give your GCSE's another thought, they are appropriate for medicine; focus on your AS levels; they are significantly more important and if you come out with AAAB minimum you can be confident of gaining offers
Reply 1192
you will be fine my friend
Reply 1193
Yup. Someone from my Sixth Form got an offer from UCL for medicine last Friday, he got 4A* in GCSE's one less than you. Now hard for your A levels :smile:
More than enough for most med schools.
Original post by badwolf96
Hey guys. Here's what I've done:

Long term Work Experience at a nursing home

2 Work Experience at National Orthopaedic and St. Heliers

Black belt in Karate

Grade 2 Piano

CCF Corporal

Charity trip to Nepal

I run the Medical Society at my school

Bronze, Silver and Gold DofE

International tour with a theatre production

Some special spanish qualification

1 week helping Disabled kids

Regular reader of Biology review and Student BMJ

B team cricket

3 A* 6 A and 1 B at GCSE

Swimming as a hobby

Medlink course and 2 other Medical courses

Hoping to get a phlebotomy course, a GP work experience, some work experience with my uncle in Zimbabwe and a part-time job in a hospital/pharmacist.

I'm not trying to show off before anybody tries to argue against me, but is this enough?
This is everything (not a prefect, no sport awards etc.)

How do I look compared to other candidates?

Out of extra curricular's and I don't mean volunteering/work experience, you will be lucky to fit in 3 or 4 things and talking about why they are beneficial at the same time. Remember you only have 47 lines (including spaces between paragraphs) and a limited amount of words. You need to include an introduction to why you want to do medicine, work experience/volunteering then extra curricular's/gap year and a final paragraph. All that is a lot so don't go crazy on the extra's :smile:
anywhere else given offers yet apart from leicester? :smile:
Reply 1197
Original post by laym
Currently I'm in year 12 and I have taken Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths
I'm predicted all A's at AS level

At GCSE (my main concern) I didn't do as well as I had hoped and only got 5A* 4A 1B
(B in english literature :frown:)

I'm not worried about work experience and extra curricular as I have lots of things lined up for that to do next year which I'm really excited about

Is it uncommon for people with my grades to get into medicine?

At Gcse i got similar; 6a*3a1b and ive currently got 2 interviews, gcses really dont matter a great deal its probably best to just avoid places that are completely gcse orientated for there entry requirements. I reckon that the med schools individual entrance policies vary so much that people entry to medicine is quote open. I'm only at interview stage but gcse grades havnt influenced my application a great deal and if i am rejected it wont be because of them :smile:
I've only taken on double award science for GCSE' s will that affect my chances of getting into medicine?
Original post by meadhbh 3
I've only taken on double award science for GCSE' s will that affect my chances of getting into medicine?

Not at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending