The Student Room Group

Packing

I'm currently trying to pack for moving to uni, but I don't know where I can get boxes to hold all my stuff, i've got one of the clear plastic storage tubs, but I can't afford to buy loads of them and then i'd have them lying around after I moved.

Does anyone have any suggestions to where I can get cardboard boxes from? Is there somewhere you can buy them cheaply?
Original post by Harley
I'm currently trying to pack for moving to uni, but I don't know where I can get boxes to hold all my stuff, i've got one of the clear plastic storage tubs, but I can't afford to buy loads of them and then i'd have them lying around after I moved.

Does anyone have any suggestions to where I can get cardboard boxes from? Is there somewhere you can buy them cheaply?

eBay?
Reply 2
Original post by iAmBrOwNbEaR
eBay?

Haha now i'm imagining cardboard boxes coming in the post like usually happens from ebay and just having nothing inside them! :tongue:
Reply 3
I work in a supermarket and people come in asking for empty boxes all the time, try that? :smile:
Ikea!
Reply 5
Original post by Samz
I work in a supermarket and people come in asking for empty boxes all the time, try that? :smile:

Ah I'd thought of that, but I wasn't sure if they'd think I was weird if I came in looking for boxes :colondollar:

If people do it all the time then maybe they won't mind then :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by blahblahblah1
Ikea!

Sadly I live miles and miles away from an Ikea :frown:
Reply 7
Buy a load of cardboard boxes off eBay, they fold up :biggrin: or use your parents huge collection of amazon boxes like I did :tongue: (we don't seem to get rid of them for some unknown reason).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Go to an Off Licence/Wine Warehouse and ask for wine/spirits boxes - they are really strong (often stapled across the bottom) and are an easy size to carry.

If they havnt got any there and then, ask when they get a delivery or do their shelf-fill and ASK if they can save some for you (and you can come and get them at a specific time).

(The good thing about cardboard boxes is either you can easily chuck them when you get to Uni and get some more for the return trip the same way, OR if you can collapse them, store them flat under your bed.)
Reply 9
Failing the supermarket/corner shop suggestion you can buy them from storage facilities for quite cheap. Free is always better though!
Original post by Harley

Go to McDonalds, and ask for some of the cardboard boxes they get the Happy Meal toys in. They are strong, not massively big, but a decent size, and they stack well. Best of all - totally free, and they'll give you as many as you want.

Also try supermarkets, and ask for the boxes with the solid bottoms that they get fruit in. Or market stalls - the wooden apple crates actually make nice bedroom storage if you like the rustic look.
Original post by FilmNerd1989
Go to McDonalds, and ask for some of the cardboard boxes they get the Happy Meal toys in. They are strong, not massively big, but a decent size, and they stack well. Best of all - totally free, and they'll give you as many as you want.

wait you don't mean the actual Happy Meal boxes right? because you'd probably be able to fit like 5 DVD's in or something at a time and imagine everyone's faces as you carried in about 30 Happy Meal boxes.

You'd probably get a lot of hungry freshers knocking at your door looking for free fries.
Reply 12
Thanks for all the suggestions :biggrin:

I think i'll man up and ask in shops, and if that fails i'll try ebay :smile:
Original post by neutralmilkhotel
wait you don't mean the actual Happy Meal boxes right? because you'd probably be able to fit like 5 DVD's in or something at a time and imagine everyone's faces as you carried in about 30 Happy Meal boxes.

You'd probably get a lot of hungry freshers knocking at your door looking for free fries.

Haha no, sorry - I didn't explain that very well. The toys that go into the Happy meals, and the actual little Happy meal boxes that the kids have their food in, come in bigger, really strong cardboard boxes - I meant those :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending