The Student Room Group

what should you NOT take into uni dorms?

Original post by a$ap_pranjol

Hey there @a$ap_pranjol !

My advice is to think about how many jackets and pairs of shoes you really need to bring. You always end up packing more than you actually need so think about which pairs and jackets are your most worn and go with just those. There will also be certain things that your accommodation contract says you can't bring. They're usually things like large appliances that have a high voltage and things like candles and wax melts.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,

There should be a list in your terms and conditions of the things that the accommodation doesn't want you to have. Remember that most accommodations are also subject to inspection, so this is really important. Beyond that, I'd say that it's just not packing too much considering how much storage space there might be.

I hope that helps

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi @a$ap_pranjol,

Thinking about what not to bring is just as important about what to bring to uni so I hope more people see this thread!

In addition to the other great advice above, I would say do not bring anything fancy/valuable. This could range from jewellery that has a lot of meaning, expensive watches or clothes. It is very easy to misplace small items at uni!

One more thing not to bring, lots of decorations. It is very exciting to be able to decorate your new room but I would avoid bringing so much that you dont have a place for it and your room ends up being cluttered. Take a few photos and some fairy lights or wait till you are there! You can always print photos and buy little bits to make it feel more homely once you are there and you know what you are working with.

Will you be going to university next September?

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
pets?
An open mind. Unis frown upon those these days.
Reply 6
Weed
Hi there,
In terms of things you are not permitted, I'd recommend checking your tenancy agreement or speaking to your property team. For example, certain appliances may need to be PAT tested. For what not to pack, I'd say stay away from large, bulky items that you may not have room for. It's great to pack things that may you feel at home but be conscious of how many decorations you bring, you don't want your room overflowing with clutter! And random kitchen gadgets, think if you're actually going to use them!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending