The Student Room Group

What to pack? What not to pack?

Hi everyone,
So, you've got your university offer and found the right accommodation for you - now what? With uni fast approaching, packing might be top of your list of priorities.

It's tempting to take all of your personal belongings with you. After all, you want your room to feel like a home away from home - right? Top tip: highlight the essentials and build your packing list from there.

Moving to uni for the first time? Need help with what to take or even what NOT to take? We've got you covered.

Returning to uni this September? Comment below one essential you will be bringing back with you and one thing you definitely won't be!
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi everyone,
So, you've got your university offer and found the right accommodation for you - now what? With uni fast approaching, packing might be top of your list of priorities.

It's tempting to take all of your personal belongings with you. After all, you want your room to feel like a home away from home - right? Top tip: highlight the essentials and build your packing list from there.

Moving to uni for the first time? Need help with what to take or even what NOT to take? We've got you covered.

Returning to uni this September? Comment below one essential you will be bringing back with you and one thing you definitely won't be!

Hi,

I will definitely be taking back a really long surge-protected extension lead. It is the most useful thing when setting up your room just the way you want it. And often the plugs seem to be in awkward places.

Definitely don't take a full kitchen set-up! Take enough to cover yourself and no extras. Remember you can always buy more when you get there and it's usually pretty cheap from charity shops. Lat year we ended up with 2 toastie makers, 2 air fryers and 2 smoothie blenders in our kitchen and it's really not necessary. If your accommodation has a communal set up, stick to the basics or discuss with your flatmates what you're going to bring.

-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Pack of screwdrivers. Used them every single year. There's always something a bit loose that you don't need to request maintenance about, but you just need a little screwdriver to tighten something that annoys you.

:tsr2: 's full packing checklist is here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/freshers/what-to-take-to-university-checklist
Hi everyone,

My one essential would be my airer for drying clothes, laundry can be expensive so saving money on drying was a great help.
On thing I won't be bringing is multiple pans, most cooking can be done with one, occasionally two, pans and they take up a lot of cupboard space.
:smile:
Hi everyone,

Hi!

I've found command strips to be really useful every year, they're a great way to hang things up so you can personalise your room without marking the walls. Often first year rooms will have a notice board too, so push pins might come in handy. I definately won't be bringing back as many clothes as I did in first year though, only the ones I know I'll definitely wear at uni. I brought lots of clothes that I convinced myself I'd need, but there turned out to be very little cupboard space!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending