The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would be suprised if you didn't.
It'll depend on your course. I've avoided it so far.
Yes!
Reply 4
I don't think I had any presentations during my English Lit. degree. Quite a bit of group work though

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
I've had to do a few, most individual but a few group. I hate them so much but they do get easier every time so I guess they're worth the crippling anxiety I get for weeks before hand haha. :colondollar:
Reply 6
I haven't had to yet. But depending on what sort of curveball the department decides to throw fro our key skills may mean I have up to 3 this year :sigh: . It sounds silly, but I much prefer essays. There's less chance of completely flopping under the spotlight :tongue:
I had to do one in my 1st year and it was awful. My group pretty much elected me as the leader which meant I had to say/write the most and ugh it was awful. We got like 68% though... not TOO horrendous. Could have been worse!
I had one during first year and I'll have another this year. They are quite common at uni but it depends on your course.
Reply 9
I've had to do two so far (in my frst year) and I have at least one next year. Most people I know at my uni have had to do one. I loved them personally, I was nervous before the first one but they took so much less time to do compared with an essay.
I've had to.
Actually one of the first assignments we were given was to do a presentation on anything we wanted.

Last year we had a couple to do, one was a presentation of our design portfolio, the other was a presentation on how Sky TV works.
You can avoid it if you select your modules carefully.
Reply 12
Does anybody know if there is a lot of presentations in accounting degree
I do a management degree and I've done so many I can't remember. There not so bad though and I see them as an easy way to improve a mark on a bad essay as they usually count for something like 20% of a module.
I have to do one during induction week! yay me :/
Reply 15
It was only the final year of my degree that I had to do 4 presentations (1 was a group presentation). I also had to do one presentation on my placement year with my boss and placement tutor. The first and second year I had no presentations. I hate them too, but its something you just have to get through. I dont think you will be able to avoid it, I'm sure practically every uni course requires a presentation atleast once during the period of 3-4 years.
I think it varies although chances are you will have to do a few. Some universities like students to present on seminar/tutorial topics, usually in small groups so this means you might do 2 a term but these aren't usually assessed. I had an assessed individual presentation in my first year, but again this was only to a small group and it was 10% of that module grade- it was a skills module, so we had to do an essay, a lab report, a presentation and fill in some booklets, and the final exam was more of a comprehension exercise than anything else.

Anyway, my graded presentation was on a (relevant, with scientific content) topic of our choice, which was approved by our tutor. I got a first XD which I'm pretty sure was based on the fact I handled the questions well, and didn't just read off my slides.
Reply 17
I expect so, they are quite a big thing in many business/management school modules (sometimes assessed, sometimes not). In English maybe you wouldn't have to do so many (but I'd be surprised if you did zero over all three years) :smile:
How many would you have to do for a science oriented degree like biomedical or genetic or biochemistry etc
And do you think the amount of people you'd present to would be small.?
I hate presenting i'm really shy and my voice is quiet so it's a throwback for me
Yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending