The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Need advices how to get into Central Saint Martins (fashion design)

hi :smile: i'm currently a senior doing IB and college applications are coming really really soon. I really want to get into central saint martins to do fashion and have been there for a short summer course, but have a lot of questions about how to get in. it'll be amazing if anyone could help.
1. Is it possible for a highschool student to apply directly for the BA instead of doing foundation first?
2. What do they look for in a portfolio? and for the BA, does the portfolio need to be completely focused on fashion or they want a variety of things?
If anyone have other experiences with CSM please do share, it'll help a lot. :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by glendaagarcia
hi :smile: i'm currently a senior doing IB and college applications are coming really really soon. I really want to get into central saint martins to do fashion and have been there for a short summer course, but have a lot of questions about how to get in. it'll be amazing if anyone could help.
1. Is it possible for a highschool student to apply directly for the BA instead of doing foundation first?
2. What do they look for in a portfolio? and for the BA, does the portfolio need to be completely focused on fashion or they want a variety of things?
If anyone have other experiences with CSM please do share, it'll help a lot. :biggrin:

Hi there, I'm applying this year for womenswear at CSM, I did a short course there too! I did a foundation degree at LCC and they definitely prefer it if you have done a foundation before hand but there are a few students who have been accepted straight from A-levels. For a fashion-based course, they want a purely fashion portfolio, such as sketches, photos of garments you have made etc. I applied last year but unfortunately didn't get in, but as its my life-long dream to study fashion design there I am re-applying after having had a year out working on my personal work and gaining experience in the fashion industry! best of luck to you, hope you get in! hope to see you there! :smile:
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
A fair amount have either worked (and i mean year or 2 long) in fashion design/ cutting or this is there second degree, or theyre international with a lot of financial help from mummy and daddy.
I suggest posting in the creative arts forum, where more arts students will see your questions and some of them will have been answered. I'd always advise a foundation.
Reply 4
Original post by laurensmith
Hi there, I'm applying this year for womenswear at CSM, I did a short course there too! I did a foundation degree at LCC and they definitely prefer it if you have done a foundation before hand but there are a few students who have been accepted straight from A-levels. For a fashion-based course, they want a purely fashion portfolio, such as sketches, photos of garments you have made etc. I applied last year but unfortunately didn't get in, but as its my life-long dream to study fashion design there I am re-applying after having had a year out working on my personal work and gaining experience in the fashion industry! best of luck to you, hope you get in! hope to see you there! :smile:

Thank you soo much for your information. Do you know how many pieces should I put for the BA portfolio? also, good luck on you too
Reply 5
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I suggest posting in the creative arts forum, where more arts students will see your questions and some of them will have been answered. I'd always advise a foundation.

Thank you for your advice, I'll post on the creative arts forum too. :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you soo much for your information. Do you know how many pieces should I put for the BA portfolio? also, good luck on you too

that's okay. Umm it's entirely down to you, I would just put your best pieces in, they say quality not quantity, I think they would rather see a few pieces of really good work rather than loads & loads of just average work. (Apparently they only spend maximum 5 mins per portfolio! so make sure it stands out from the rest!!) Although when I went for interview I was really surprised at how much people were bringing in! definitely bring a few sketchbooks, they like to see your sketchbook work. A big thing for them is looking at process so an idea from very first thought to final outcome so make sure you have work that reflects those processes. hope this helps! :smile:

basically it's very very unlikely they consider IB applicants for straight BA courses.
other than product design really because that's more technically based.
but they say that the IB is not enough to cover for the equivalent of a foundation course, so sometimes when you apply they might just put you in the foundation anyway.
either way i really think everyone would benefit from doing a foundation first. im doing the course now at csm and everything is absolutely new to me. I did IB art as well and it is nothing compared to the focused projects you have here.
also a lot of tutors work in industry and are very accomplished in their practice and it's good to be taught by them.
you also get the freedom to try lots of things and an extra year to do whatever you want so it really is worth the time and effort to do foundation, i think the course is really great.
Reply 8
Original post by jacksonriddle
basically it's very very unlikely they consider IB applicants for straight BA courses.
other than product design really because that's more technically based.
but they say that the IB is not enough to cover for the equivalent of a foundation course, so sometimes when you apply they might just put you in the foundation anyway.
either way i really think everyone would benefit from doing a foundation first. im doing the course now at csm and everything is absolutely new to me. I did IB art as well and it is nothing compared to the focused projects you have here.
also a lot of tutors work in industry and are very accomplished in their practice and it's good to be taught by them.
you also get the freedom to try lots of things and an extra year to do whatever you want so it really is worth the time and effort to do foundation, i think the course is really great.

thanks for your advice. are you in the foundation course right now? do have any tips regarding portfolios?
thanks for your advice. are you in the foundation course right now? do have any tips regarding portfolios?

yeah, dont just put random pieces in there if they dont show anything, they kind of have limited time looking through your stuff so make it to the point and show them what you do. also have a lot of different mediums and techniques and stuff. and bring in a sketchbook or two, preferably with lots of images. also what you're trying to show is that your work is exceptional, ie your ideas are things that people cannot think of themselves, so make sure you have stuff in there that has your own style and whatnot.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jacksonriddle
yeah, dont just put random pieces in there if they dont show anything, they kind of have limited time looking through your stuff so make it to the point and show them what you do. also have a lot of different mediums and techniques and stuff. and bring in a sketchbook or two, preferably with lots of images. also what you're trying to show is that your work is exceptional, ie your ideas are things that people cannot think of themselves, so make sure you have stuff in there that has your own style and whatnot.

do you have any advice into how many work should I put in the portfolio. My interview is by the end of the month :s-smilie:
Reply 11
If you're still looking for portfolio advice then take a look at Aiko's post here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
Thank you for your advices. I got into the foundation at csm. :smile:
Reply 13

Can you help me! What did you do to get in, like what qualifications and experience did you have? I have 2 years yet but I want to make sure?
Hi guys :smile: I am new to this site and need advice on how to get into CSM as well!! My passion is fashion design and need to know what exactly I should include in my portfolio and sketchbooks..I am great at drawing human figures and make cartoony sketches..just wondering if this is a bonus point for them or is it a lot of art and crafts as well that would interest them?? Do they value a lot of time involved in the research and creative process before doing the final product?? I am actually confused pls help me out as it is my first time doing this and have never applied to a prestigious college before!! cheers! :smile:
Hello, I am a freshman in highschool and it's been my life long goal to get into CSM. I really would appreciate it if someone were to give me some tips on what I should do from now up until the final college application. I currently attend an art highschool and i start taking fashion as my strand next year (sophmore). I don't know what i should do, any summer programs, look into internships, start my portfolio early? Thanks:smile:
Reply 16
Hi, anyone here taking or planning to take the portfolio preparation course "Orientation to Art & Design"?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi
I also want to get into CSM and I am only 12,but I know a lot of info about your portfolio.
1.make sure that your portfolio is a neutral color and has no fancy logo's as well as it being A4.
2.make sure that you are consistent with your best work and that it goes at the front(remember not to leave it at the back)
3.include photography of your designs( make sure that this is done well or professionally)
4.only include illustrations if you are a fairly good illustrator.
5. Don't be afraid to be unique and remember that you are competing against many other people around the world.
GOOD LUCK🍀

congrats!! please help me. do you think i have a chance of getting into csm since i have spent all highschool studying science and don't have much experience in art! but i am really interested. like madly since i was a kid. what should I exactly do for portfolio?
Do I need maths on my school diploma to study fashion design? Because I'm currently studying in an arts school which doesn't do them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending