The Student Room Group

AQA Buss 4 Jan 13

I'm doing my Buss 4 exam in Jan along with Buss 3.
The topic is on mergers and takeovers.
I have started reading on this little revision note my teacher has given me on mergers and takeovers. (I'm studying the 5th bullet point.)
I know that I need to start doing a research and that reading off notes is no good. My teacher said chose 4 companies and research on them.
I was wondering what companies you guys have chosen in relation to point 5 and if there are any useful links or resources that could help me with the exam. I'm starting to read newspapers to pickup some articles. BAE-EADS tie-up is the most recent one do you guys think this a good starting point. I'm also keen to do a research on Safeway and Morrison.
Also do I need to cover the spec as well? I mean will there be questions from the book!?
I'm doing this on my own. I'm the only one in my college doing buss 4 in Jan as the rest of the class is doing it in June, so tips and helps will be very much appreciated. Thank you!!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dan94adibi
I'm doing my Buss 4 exam in Jan along with Buss 3.
The topic is on mergers and takeovers.
I have started reading on this little revision note my teacher has given me on mergers and takeovers. (I'm studying the 5th bullet point.)
I know that I need to start doing a research and that reading off notes is no good. My teacher said chose 4 companies and research on them.
I was wondering what companies you guys have chosen in relation to point 5 and if there are any useful links or resources that could help me with the exam. I'm starting to read newspapers to pickup some articles. BAE-EADS tie-up is the most recent one do you guys think this a good starting point. I'm also keen to do a research on Safeway and Morrison.
Also do I need to cover the spec as well? I mean will there be questions from the book!?
I'm doing this on my own. I'm the only one in my college doing buss 4 in Jan as the rest of the class is doing it in June, so tips and helps will be very much appreciated. Thank you!!

Yeah I'm doing it then too. I'm going through some case studies and matching info the research bullets we were given. Sharing notes is probably a good idea.

Anyone who did BUSS4 in June, do you still have revision notes or tips? Is so, they would be really really helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 2
Original post by NightStrider
Yeah I'm doing it then too. I'm going through some case studies and matching info the research bullets we were given. Sharing notes is probably a good idea.

Anyone who did BUSS4 in June, do you still have revision notes or tips? Is so, they would be really really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt those people's research is gonna be much of a help.
Usually teachers predict what might come up and the students do a research on that topic.
I think its a waste of time to do research on all topics.
I doubt those people's research is gonna be much of a help.
Usually teachers predict what might come up and the students do a research on that topic.
I think its a waste of time to do research on all topics.

I mean we already know that M&As WILL come up, and what we need to focus on about them e.g. compare and contrast, but we need to know specific examples
Reply 4
I mean we already know that M&As WILL come up, and what we need to focus on about them e.g. compare and contrast, but we need to know specific examples

I'm really putting my focus on point 2 and 5. If I have enough time then I'll go for the 3rd one too.

Kraft and Cadbury is a very good one to look at.
Along side with Tata and Jaguar.
I'm really putting my focus on point 2 and 5. If I have enough time then I'll go for the 3rd one too.

Kraft and Cadbury is a very good one to look at.
Along side with Tata and Jaguar.

So far I have done Kraft Cadbury, Morrisons Safeway & Tata Jaguar
Reply 6
So far I have done Kraft Cadbury, Morrisons Safeway & Tata Jaguar

Safeway and Morrison is a good one too.

Just going back to the impact of takeover and merger on stakeholders.

I used British Airways and bmi. and I quoted Richard Branson when he said this is a deal which "screws the public".

Technically he wasn't talking about the customers but he was talking about how the takeover of bmi will give great power to IAG to gain landing and take off slots at Heathrow and therefore causing a great threat to Virgin.
Safeway and Morrison is a good one too.

Just going back to the impact of takeover and merger on stakeholders.

I used British Airways and bmi. and I quoted Richard Branson when he said this is a deal which "screws the public".

Technically he wasn't talking about the customers but he was talking about how the takeover of bmi will give great power to IAG to gain landing and take off slots at Heathrow and therefore causing a great threat to Virgin.

Hey, I have some resources for BUSS4 which I think are really useful, I have linked them here.

You're doing BUSS3 as well right? Well, I have a pack for BUSS3 also if you want.
Reply 8
Hey, I have some resources for BUSS4 which I think are really useful, I have linked them here.

You're doing BUSS3 as well right? Well, I have a pack for BUSS3 also if you want.

Thanks and yup I'm doing BUSS 3 too.
Thanks and yup I'm doing BUSS 3 too.

Good luck, I'm panicking like hell......
Reply 10
Good luck, I'm panicking like hell......

I actually find BUSS 3 very easy.
and BUSS 4 is about 57 marks for an A
So do well on one of the questions and ok on the other one and you'll be fine.
I'm more worried about section B.

Is this your first time doing BUSS 4?
I just have no experience when it comes to answering those 40 markers in section B.

My teacher told me that there is likely to be a question on managing changes or the impact of current economy on firms.

So i'll try to prepare for both and hope one will pop up.
I actually find BUSS 3 very easy.
and BUSS 4 is about 57 marks for an A
So do well on one of the questions and ok on the other one and you'll be fine.
I'm more worried about section B.

Is this your first time doing BUSS 4?
I just have no experience when it comes to answering those 40 markers in section B.

My teacher told me that there is likely to be a question on managing changes or the impact of current economy on firms.

So i'll try to prepare for both and hope one will pop up.

Yeah it is and it doesn't help how I have other GCSE's littered around in the same time.
You got any notes on M&A case studies. They would really be appreciated.
Reply 13
Hey guys, does anyone have any ideas what may come up for Section B? I am really worried about Section B!

Im retaking this exam from the summer and i think my structure f*cked me up! Any tips would be much appreciated!
Reply 14
Original post by Indyy
Hey guys, does anyone have any ideas what may come up for Section B? I am really worried about Section B!

Im retaking this exam from the summer and i think my structure f*cked me up! Any tips would be much appreciated!

Well my teacher said that the hot topics are now economical changes and implementing strategies.

So I'm focusing on those and hope that one comes up.
Reply 15
You got any notes on M&A case studies. They would really be appreciated.

Hey mate, how is your revision going.
Just finished my research today.
Starting to focus on section B now.
Hey mate, how is your revision going.
Just finished my research today.
Starting to focus on section B now.

Ok - I know about 7 M+As - I'm gonna be focusing on doing past questions. I did a BUSS3 mock and did really well so I wont need to do as well on this.
Reply 17
Is it any use to revising from mark schemes?
Reply 18
Well my teacher said that the hot topics are now economical changes and implementing strategies.

So I'm focusing on those and hope that one comes up.

hey is economical changes under 'The Relationship between Businesses and the Economic Environment'? and what is implementing strategies? is it stuff on MIS?
Reply 19
Original post by Sammie1009
hey is economical changes under 'The Relationship between Businesses and the Economic Environment'? and what is implementing strategies? is it stuff on MIS?

Yes economical changes such as government's fiscal policy or the bank of England's monetary policy. I hope this comes up just because for the fact that I do economics and it would be easy.

Implementing changes is technically ways the firm can bring these changes such as by changing culture and the right leaders.

I seriously think one of these will come as they have been there in most of the papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending