The Student Room Group

Tutors pressuring you into early deadlines?

I'm applying for medicine 2013 entry and as I'm sure everybody knows, the early deadline is 15th October.

But my tutor just said to me today that I should try to send mine in tomorrow.

:confused:

Why on earth would she want me to send it in so early?! It's like a whole month until the deadline! I would understand if my reference still had to be written, but I was told that my reference was all written and checked and ready to go and the only thing they were waiting for was me.

Is anybody else being pressured into ridiculously early internal deadlines? And what are you doing about it?
Reply 1
Original post by TLi1295
I'm applying for medicine 2013 entry and as I'm sure everybody knows, the early deadline is 15th October.

But my tutor just said to me today that I should try to send mine in tomorrow.

:confused:

Why on earth would she want me to send it in so early?! It's like a whole month until the deadline! I would understand if my reference still had to be written, but I was told that my reference was all written and checked and ready to go and the only thing they were waiting for was me.

Is anybody else being pressured into ridiculously early internal deadlines? And what are you doing about it?

Well I know sometimes sixth form's have procedures to go through before sending off a student's UCAS application. For example, my sixth form had to have my application in 2 weeks before the October 15th deadline, as it was checked by my tutor, the school's UCAS advisor, head of sixth form and head of the school! Weird school formalities.....

Don't feel to pressurised by their deadline, as long as they have time to check it will be sent to UCAS by the 15th! :smile:
Reply 2
I'd say go for it, they know what they're doing.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by tobnot
Well I know sometimes sixth form's have procedures to go through before sending off a student's UCAS application. For example, my sixth form had to have my application in 2 weeks before the October 15th deadline, as it was checked by my tutor, the school's UCAS advisor, head of sixth form and head of the school! Weird school formalities.....

Don't feel to pressurised by their deadline, as long as they have time to check it will be sent to UCAS by the 15th! :smile:

Thank you. Today I spoke to them and I managed to push my deadline to this weekend 8)
Reply 4
Original post by TLi1295
Thank you. Today I spoke to them and I managed to push my deadline to this weekend 8)

No problem! Best of luck with your Med application! :smile:
Reply 5
My teacher wanted it in for last friday :eek:

But it's going to be more like next week. At the end of the day as long as it's before the deadline I don't see the hurry (although I aim to get mine sent off soon so it's out of the way).
My school had an internal deadline to compensate for the time taken up with administration/attaching and receiving references etc. It's probably a good sign that your school is wanting it ASAP, likely means they want to do it properly.
Go for it! :smile:
Wow my school haven't even done my reference yet..
Reply 9
Original post by tobnot
No problem! Best of luck with your Med application! :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by oli_G
My teacher wanted it in for last friday :eek:

But it's going to be more like next week. At the end of the day as long as it's before the deadline I don't see the hurry (although I aim to get mine sent off soon so it's out of the way).

Yeah definitely. I just wanted a few more days but now that I've got that I suppose it's ok :smile: Will be so relieved once it's all sent in!
We had to hand in Oxbridge applications today as well! I can understand why though... even if your reference is written, it might get changed in light of what you've written in your Personal Statement, or the courses/universities you've decided on. At my school, we are told to leave a week for the reference and a further week for internal checks: our head of sixth form, head of UCAS & deputy head of sixth form all check it for any errors or improvements. It will obviously take longer if your school has a lot of applicants for early deadlines. It's better than them not doing it properly and having a mistake in your application! To be honest I'm really relieved to have it all done so I don't have to worry about it anymore :smile:
Reply 12
A lot of the time it's to give them a buffer in case a few people are late. Say you handed it in on October 7th: a week is plenty of time to turn around an application. But what if every Medic or Oxbridge hopeful in your sixth form handed it in that day? Potential disaster. At the end of the day though, it's your application, and you shouldn't send it until you are happy. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending