The Student Room Group

Applying for university (2024 entry) while still in first year at a different uni

I'm extremely unhappy on my course at my university, and I was wondering if I could apply through UCAS before the 2024 entry deadline for a different course at a different university entering first year. Is this possible? Will I have to finish my year here even though I'm applying for a different course? Would I have to drop out before I can apply for a new university? Thanks.
Original post by noahsam7
I'm extremely unhappy on my course at my university, and I was wondering if I could apply through UCAS before the 2024 entry deadline for a different course at a different university entering first year. Is this possible? Will I have to finish my year here even though I'm applying for a different course? Would I have to drop out before I can apply for a new university? Thanks.

Yes it is possible and you can apply while you are still enrolled at your current uni. You will have to list your current uni on your UCAS application. And no, you don't have to finish your first year of your current course.

Is it just the course you are unhappy with or do you not like your uni too? If you like the uni, it is worth exploring if they have any other courses that you could transfer to.
(edited 5 months ago)

Yes. No (unless it is a condition of any offer). No. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
Yes it is possible and you can apply while you are still enrolled at your current uni. You will have to list your current uni on your UCAS application. And no, you don't have to finish your first year of your current course.

Is it just the course you are unhappy with or do you not like your uni too? If you like the uni, it is worth exploring if they have any other courses that you could transfer to.

I have a specific course and uni in mind, thank you for the response. Would I require a reference from a current university tutor or could I get one from a sixth form tutor?
I have a specific course and uni in mind, thank you for the response. Would I require a reference from a current university tutor or could I get one from a sixth form tutor?

This is up to the incoming uni. In a lot of cases they'll ask for a current ref, so it may be better to provide one in the first instance, rather than having a deadline to provide one later.
Reply 5
Original post by normaw

hi - is it likely they'll ask for first year grades as part of the condition to get into the uni, if you're applying to get back into first year at whatever university? I intend to leave and not finish the year, so I don't want to do the exams.
Original post by MAKER12
hi - is it likely they'll ask for first year grades as part of the condition to get into the uni, if you're applying to get back into first year at whatever university? I intend to leave and not finish the year, so I don't want to do the exams.

If you meet the entry requirements of your new course from your A levels (or equivalent), then you shouldn't need to finish this year. It's worth contacting admissions for the unis you are considering to make sure.
Original post by MAKER12

If might be worth reconsidering finishing the year if you think you are capable of passing even if the new university doesn’t require it.

completing and passing the year will mean:
- you will normally be awarded a CertHE early exit award (so won’t have a gap in your CV)
- you will remain council tax exempt
- you won’t have to immediately repay any “overpaid” maintenance loan payments and will be able to use your final instalment

there might be coping techniques that you can put in place to make your remaining time manageable (if you are unhappy) and additional support available (if you don’t think that you can pass the year).

CertHE awards are pass/fail with no grades.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
If might be worth reconsidering finishing the year if you think you are capable of passing even if the new university doesn’t require it.

completing and passing the year will mean:
- you will normally be awarded a CertHE early exit award (so won’t have a gap in your CV)
- you will remain council tax exempt
- you won’t have to immediately repay any “overpaid” maintenance loan payments and will be able to use your final instalment

there might be coping techniques that you can put in place to make your remaining time manageable (if you are unhappy) and additional support available (if you don’t think that you can pass the year).

CertHE awards are pass/fail with no grades.

what counts as overpaid maintenance loan repayments? would overpaid maintenance loans include the first two loans I've received this year? there's one left
Original post by MAKER12
what counts as overpaid maintenance loan repayments? would overpaid maintenance loans include the first two loans I've received this year? there's one left

If you leave more than a week before your final instalment then some of your second instalment will be classed as “overpaid” and all of your final instalment will be cancelled or need to be repaid immediately

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending