The Student Room Group

How do people get 90%+ for their BA/BSc dissertations?

I see some people on LinkedIn with 90%+ listed on their bio as their dissertation grades in disciplines like Modern Foreign Languages and history. How do people get such ridiculously high marks?

Is it possible to salvage such a high mark if you start early and put in hours everyday from September? EVEN if you messed around the previous two years and didn’t do any work? I mean surely if you pass with no effort then you should be able to do very well with lots of effort right?
Achieving exceptionally high grades, especially in disciplines like Modern Foreign Languages and history, often requires a combination of factors and strategies. Below are some guidelines through which students can get the best possible grades:

Natural Aptitude: Some individuals might have a natural affinity for the subject matter, which can make grasping concepts and retaining information easier for them.

Consistent Effort: Consistently putting in effort throughout the course, attending classes, completing assignments, and engaging with the material are key factors in understanding and excelling in a subject.

Effective Study Techniques: High-achieving students often use effective study techniques such as active recall, spaced repetition, and creating comprehensive study guides.

Time Management: Managing time efficiently helps ensure that you cover all necessary material and have sufficient time for revision.

Engagement: Actively participating in discussions, seeking clarifications when needed, and engaging with the material beyond what's required can deepen understanding.

Early Start: Starting early allows for more time to digest and internalize concepts, leading to a better grasp of the subject matter.

Seeking Help: If you've struggled in previous years, seeking help from teachers, tutors, or academic support services can be crucial in addressing gaps in your knowledge.

Focused Revision: Spending time revising effectively, summarizing key points, and practicing with past papers or relevant exercises can significantly improve your understanding and performance.

Original post by Sr777777
I see some people on LinkedIn with 90%+ listed on their bio as their dissertation grades in disciplines like Modern Foreign Languages and history. How do people get such ridiculously high marks?

Is it possible to salvage such a high mark if you start early and put in hours everyday from September? EVEN if you messed around the previous two years and didn’t do any work? I mean surely if you pass with no effort then you should be able to do very well with lots of effort right?

Slim possibility they are truly exceptional, but in all likelihood they went to an institution that used a different frame of reference on the marking scale. So, most traditional, very academic universities, rarely give grades outside the range of 48 (crashingly bad) and 76 (once per year, think about publishing), except of course in subjects like maths or multiple choice settings where there is no judgement, just black or white, right or wrong. But for example, the Open University takes a different approach, and grades across a much wider spectrum of grades, so 80s and 90s are more common. It doesn't mean the work is better, it just means there is more differentiation in the scale used.
Some people make huge sacrifices in order to put the time and effort to achieve those grades. Two of the lads I did my undergrad with always got top grades (90%+), including their dissertations, and it was because they worked incredibly hard. They'd turn down nights out and other social events to stay in and study. I'd send a photo of a pint and ask if they want to join, and I'd get back a photo of their textbook. They'd be studying for exams as soon as modules began. They got good grades consistently throughout their undergraduate degrees.

Then this one guy I did my masters with was a savant. His average for the entire course was 96%, despite putting very little time into his coursework. I don't mean he was one of those people who claimed he did little work; I mean he and I pulled all-nighters together before every deadline submission because we goofed off every other night drinking, playing video games, working out (yeah, he's also swole), watching movies, etc. I can work well under pressure but he is something else entirely. He received an award at our graduation for his outstanding grades and I was so damn proud of him.

As for passing with no effort vs putting in effort - yeah, you'll see your grades go up. I only started caring about my grades in my final year. That doesn't make it easy though. My grades went from 50s/60s to just scraping a first (rounding saved my classification!) when I put in the effort.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
My average was in the 80s for both my BA and MA in philosophy and I was first in the cohort in both. At the time, I didn't think I was doing anything particular but what it was in the end was a) loads of reading, b) making an effort to write like I was publishing, c) badgering for better feedback and direction, and finally d) boxing clever with unit choices.

There's no magic formula, it us just a case of working smart and getting the right guidance.

I then read for another postgraduate at Oxford and was getting 70s and 80s there, too.

I was doing this from day one in first year. I've never seen anyone turn it around to hit 80s in the final year alone, but they can turn it around to hit a low 70s for sure.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending