The Student Room Group

The John Lewis Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by EastLondonerUK
How does ANYONE get past John Lewis's online application? :confused: I applied yesterday and it beat HMV as the worst application I have ever done and now I have to wait 2 weeks to see whether I've got through to the next stage :frown:

Focus on the JLP values in each scenario.
I.e always try to put the customer first etc. etc.
hey, does anyone know what the selling assistant position job at JL entails?
Hey guys,

Sorry to bump this thread after such a long time.

I'm due to start in Stock Management in JL in just over a week's time. I haven't heard anything about an induction though - do you know what standard procedure is with this? Also, what do I wear on my first day - I know I'll have a different uniform as I'm in Stock Management but I haven't had anything through about that...any help would be appreciated!
Hey, I'm starting at JL in November, and the booklet I got said that on your first day, you should wear smart dark grey/black business wear (suit), white or black shirt, and polished shoes. Then they can help you order clothes if you need it.
Hey, so i went to an interview with john Lewis on the 29th of September 2014 and I got this email on the 2nd of October:

Thank you for attending the assessment centre at John Lewis.

I am pleased to confirm you have passed the assessment centre, and are currently on hold until suitable hours match your
availability.

If you no longer wish to be on hold then please feel free to withdraw your application.

We will be in touch as soon as a position becomes available.

Thank you
This is for a christmas temp position by the way.

Thanks
Reply 145
Original post by eshxntel
Hey, so i went to an interview with john Lewis on the 29th of September 2014 and I got this email on the 2nd of October:

Thank you for attending the assessment centre at John Lewis.

I am pleased to confirm you have passed the assessment centre, and are currently on hold until suitable hours match your
availability.

If you no longer wish to be on hold then please feel free to withdraw your application.

We will be in touch as soon as a position becomes available.

Thank you
This is for a christmas temp position by the way.

Thanks

I know people who received this email when working there last Christmas and it usually means they are trying to match your availability to hours. When they're hiring loads of people for Christmas, they need to get people allocated to shift so they are interested in taking you on but this is just informing you so you know why its taking some time. My colleagues got calls soon after offering them a job so you have a good chance, don't worry its not a bad :smile:

btw, how did you find the interview? What questions did you get..?
Original post by zedaa
I know people who received this email when working there last Christmas and it usually means they are trying to match your availability to hours. When they're hiring loads of people for Christmas, they need to get people allocated to shift so they are interested in taking you on but this is just informing you so you know why its taking some time. My colleagues got calls soon after offering them a job so you have a good chance, don't worry its not a bad :smile:

btw, how did you find the interview? What questions did you get..?

Ahhhh that gives me hope, thankyou.
Its just that my phone is in repairs at the moment so they might be ringing it off with no reply lol.
And the interview was fairly easy, I was just a bit intimidated at the fact that there were so many people there waaay older than me, and i was the youngest lol (16)
But the questions asked on the one to one were:
- Tell me about a time you asked for criticism, and how I took action
- Tell me about a time you had to promote a product etc
- Tell me about a time you had a change of environment or something
And a few generic interview questions like why John Lewis
Then we done a group task which we were given a description of what 3 customers wanted, then we were given a booklet of the items to choose from which best matches what they want; then we had to sell it to the manager and say why we chose it.
Reply 147
Original post by eshxntel
Ahhhh that gives me hope, thankyou.
Its just that my phone is in repairs at the moment so they might be ringing it off with no reply lol.
And the interview was fairly easy, I was just a bit intimidated at the fact that there were so many people there waaay older than me, and i was the youngest lol (16)
But the questions asked on the one to one were:
- Tell me about a time you asked for criticism, and how I took action
- Tell me about a time you had to promote a product etc
- Tell me about a time you had a change of environment or something
And a few generic interview questions like why John Lewis
Then we done a group task which we were given a description of what 3 customers wanted, then we were given a booklet of the items to choose from which best matches what they want; then we had to sell it to the manager and say why we chose it.

Ahh, yeah that's a problem. They said at my interview they'll contact by email so keep an eye on that and the communications centre on the job site or even call them up to tell them that you're phones unavailable here is another number lol. Yeah dont worry, age doesn't mean much lol, they like students from what I've heard. also a benefit for hiring you is that you can work the same for slightly less haha.
Thanks for the tips though! All the best :smile:
Reply 148
Original post by matthewoingram
Hey guys,

Sorry to bump this thread after such a long time.

I'm due to start in Stock Management in JL in just over a week's time. I haven't heard anything about an induction though - do you know what standard procedure is with this? Also, what do I wear on my first day - I know I'll have a different uniform as I'm in Stock Management but I haven't had anything through about that...any help would be appreciated!

Can I ask what your start date is? My interview is on the 31st and I'm wondering when the position would actually start (its a Christmas temp) :smile:
Hey guys,

I applied for John Lewis late September and managed to get a group interview on the 16th of October. The following day (17th October) I received two missed calls from John Lewis. I called them up on Monday (as the recruitment person wasn't available on weekends) and they said that the calls were about a job offer and to discuss hours. They said to expect an email relatively soon regarding the job.

Does anybody know how long I should expect to wait for this email for? It's been a week since they called. Another interviewee at the group interview received their email that Monday after the weekend. I hope missing their call doesn't put me at a disadvantage?
Reply 150
Original post by joannehiquiana
Hey guys,

I applied for John Lewis late September and managed to get a group interview on the 16th of October. The following day (17th October) I received two missed calls from John Lewis. I called them up on Monday (as the recruitment person wasn't available on weekends) and they said that the calls were about a job offer and to discuss hours. They said to expect an email relatively soon regarding the job.

Does anybody know how long I should expect to wait for this email for? It's been a week since they called. Another interviewee at the group interview received their email that Monday after the weekend. I hope missing their call doesn't put me at a disadvantage?

Give them a call! The recruitment process is bound to get hectic at this time of year so don't let them forget you. Just say you got job offers on the line and you need to know whether the role is still available and if they need to confirm hours with you blah blah etccc. I get that you don't wanna sound pushy but you gotta. Mega congrats on getting this job because Ive tried John Lewis a few times and ugh they never seem to want me haha:smile:
I suggest calling the store first then the central HR office, because the stores could perhaps give you more information first hand cos they only communicate with the central HR office after which can be slow.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 151
Original post by lacheveche
Hey, I'm starting at JL in November, and the booklet I got said that on your first day, you should wear smart dark grey/black business wear (suit), white or black shirt, and polished shoes. Then they can help you order clothes if you need it.

Hi I am new to this and I even dont know how to use this forum.
But my question is a have a chef interview to John Lewis and any experience people could help me please.
Original post by zedaa
Give them a call! The recruitment process is bound to get hectic at this time of year so don't let them forget you. Just say you got job offers on the line and you need to know whether the role is still available and if they need to confirm hours with you blah blah etccc. I get that you don't wanna sound pushy but you gotta. Mega congrats on getting this job because Ive tried John Lewis a few times and ugh they never seem to want me haha:smile:
I suggest calling the store first then the central HR office, because the stores could perhaps give you more information first hand cos they only communicate with the central HR office after which can be slow.

Hey thank you so much for your help! Ah keep trying! They rejected me at first too, haha. I will definitely give them a ring tomorrow then :smile: Thanks again and good luck in the future! x
Reply 153
Can someone tell me what ??is on the chef interview to JL
I've got a job as a Catering Assistant at a John Lewis cafe/restaurant. The job description wasn't that in depth so would anyone who has worked/works in the role tell me more about the day to day tasks I'll be doing?

My start date is tomorrow :smile:
Reply 155
Original post by LaurawrS1993
I've got a job as a Catering Assistant at a John Lewis cafe/restaurant. The job description wasn't that in depth so would anyone who has worked/works in the role tell me more about the day to day tasks I'll be doing?

My start date is tomorrow :smile:

ok but what was on interview???
Original post by joannehiquiana
Hey guys,

It took about a week and a half before I got my email, so don't worry about it too much! They're hiring christmas temps everywhere and recruitment is centralised now so it's bound to take a bit longer than usual.
Original post by dakanabelle
It took about a week and a half before I got my email, so don't worry about it too much! They're hiring christmas temps everywhere and recruitment is centralised now so it's bound to take a bit longer than usual.

Ah, alright. Thanks so much for your help and congratulations on your new job :biggrin: x
Reply 158
I asked about what was on interview?!!! no How long did it take!!! You PLEM
Hi, I've just been offered a christmas temp job at John Lewis. On the phone today (Monday) I was asked to start 'next saturday', which I agreed to. However, afterwards I wasn't sure if by next saturday she meant literally next saturday or this coming one. I realised that I'm away this coming saturday, and I did put this on my availability sheet, but I'm worried she didn't see that and it's this weekend I'm supposed to start! I haven't received the email she said I would get to officially accept the position (she did say it would take a few days), so I'm not sure what to do! Do you think she meant this saturday or next?

Also, just a few standard questions, can anyone tell me about uniform/staff discount/do christmas temps get a bonus/what do sales assistants in the womenswear section usually do?

Sorry for the essay/rambling/many questions, and thanks in advance! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending