The Student Room Group

private STEP tuitions

I wanna to apply to cambridge for mathematics

I am thinking of go for some private STEP tuitions to help me to prapare the step exams. Of course i will also do some step in my own time.
Has anyone used any private step tuitions before? was it helpful? was it worth it?
Reply 1
I don't really see how it can help much. In my experience the least amount of help and support you get the better you get at it. (By this I mean keeping away from the answers and thinking about it for AGES before considering helps the most)
Reply 2
Original post by oh_1993
I don't really see how it can help much. In my experience the least amount of help and support you get the better you get at it. (By this I mean keeping away from the answers and thinking about it for AGES before considering helps the most)

i like the idea of it, but sometimes I feel Im wasting TOO much time on a single question and not being very productive !
Reply 3
Original post by mathsymathsy
i like the idea of it, but sometimes I feel Im wasting TOO much time on a single question and not being very productive !

Yes I agree with this, I'm finding myself looking at the answer when I'm not making any progress then immediately regretting it.

This can happen in STEP. I would say if you reach two hours thinking about a certain question on STEP, you've derived all benefit out of it. But remember that struggling is kind of the point. :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
so you guys think the 'problem solving skill' is developed by yourself? and a teacher won't help ?
Reply 6
so you guys think the 'problem solving skill' is developed by yourself? and a teacher won't help ?

I think so, the Stephen Siklos booklet comments show how too many hints can make for worse preparation. After all, you'll be left very much on your own in the exam minus a directing hints, scary thought!

Quick Reply

Latest