The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Vet Med Funding

I was planning on doing vet med, but A Levels didn’t go to plan and now I am doing BSc zoology, and will be applying for a graduate entry vet Science at bristol.
However, I have just found out that despite being graduate entry, it is still classed as an undergrad and since you will have a degree when applying, you cannot receive a loan to cover you tuition fees, only maintenance for living costs. There’s no way I can afford £37,000 over four years, so is there any alternative funding I can apply for?
Not any guaranteed funding as far as I’m aware (someone else can interject if they do know of some) except you do get a maintenance loan but obviously that isn’t enough to cover tuition + living. Some unis will do bursaries or scholarships if you’re eligible but that’s on an individual uni basis, and it still may not be loads of money. Otherwise it’s down to you really, it is expensive which is why on TSR I try to discourage pre-uni applicants from going down the graduate route and favour retaking A Levels etc. Is it possible for you to work for a while before applying to get some savings? Maybe any support from family? You can work a bit throughout the degree but obviously wouldn’t be masses amounts (due to it being a 9-5 on weekdays basically, EMS placements in holidays, high workload requiring studying out of uni hours etc) but obviously people do manage to get by somehow with that as there is plenty of people doing the same.
Reply 2
Original post by RambleAmple
Not any guaranteed funding as far as I’m aware (someone else can interject if they do know of some) except you do get a maintenance loan but obviously that isn’t enough to cover tuition + living. Some unis will do bursaries or scholarships if you’re eligible but that’s on an individual uni basis, and it still may not be loads of money. Otherwise it’s down to you really, it is expensive which is why on TSR I try to discourage pre-uni applicants from going down the graduate route and favour retaking A Levels etc. Is it possible for you to work for a while before applying to get some savings? Maybe any support from family? You can work a bit throughout the degree but obviously wouldn’t be masses amounts (due to it being a 9-5 on weekdays basically, EMS placements in holidays, high workload requiring studying out of uni hours etc) but obviously people do manage to get by somehow with that as there is plenty of people doing the same.

I was going to resit my a levels, but was told not to do that and to do the graduate entry. I wish people had more information given to them about these things earlier!
There’s the possibility of working to save up, but I’ll be having to work a long time in order to save up £37,000 while paying rent and other bills. I know people who have been working for decades and don’t have that much.
My family won’t have enough to cover that and I wouldn’t ask them to try as it wouldn’t be fair on them, or my brother.
It unlikely I would be able to work enough to make that much money as I have a disability that limits how much I can do without it impacting on my studies.

To be completely honest, I can’t see any way I would be able to afford it and I think I’ll just have to accept that I can’t do it.
I do feel for you, I do agree there should be more funding etc especially as there is a vet shortage. I also don't think I'd be able to do the degree if I had to pay out of pocket for tuition fees. I'm not really sure if there are many other avenues to explore in terms of funding, I'm hoping someone else may have additional info/ideas but it is very difficult. Some EMS placements may also pay you, but likely not all of them (especially clinical or sectors you may not have much previous experience in) and those that do might not necessarily be a lot of money - e.g. £50 to cover transport costs or something.
Reply 4
How far into your degree are you, is leaving the course something you'd consider?
If you 100% want to be a vet then I don't see the point of doing any other degree, think some foundation/gateway courses are still open for application if you meet the criteria.
Reply 5
Original post by 06parent
How far into your degree are you, is leaving the course something you'd consider?
If you 100% want to be a vet then I don't see the point of doing any other degree, think some foundation/gateway courses are still open for application if you meet the criteria.

I dont meet the criteria for the vet course with foundation year and wouldn’t be able to get into the main vet course if i dropped out of my current degree as I didn’t quite get the grades at a level. My reason for doing my current course is because i am still very interested in and saw it as a stepping stone to the vet course and a good way to develop myself as a scientist and make myself a better vet. I was not informed at the time that tuition fees for the grad course were not covered by loans, and it does look like i dont have another route into that career.
Reply 6
Original post by 16hdennis
I dont meet the criteria for the vet course with foundation year and wouldn’t be able to get into the main vet course if i dropped out of my current degree as I didn’t quite get the grades at a level. My reason for doing my current course is because i am still very interested in and saw it as a stepping stone to the vet course and a good way to develop myself as a scientist and make myself a better vet. I was not informed at the time that tuition fees for the grad course were not covered by loans, and it does look like i dont have another route into that career.

If i were you id quite and redo your A levels, it will be quicker and much cheaper. Better to take one step back rather than one step on a pathway you are unlikely to be able to change later.

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending