The Student Room Group

OCR AS Biology (F211) - Jan 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by otrivine
hi want to revise :smile:

I will revise with you in a bit, im nearly done editing my notes. Sprry for the delay :P
Original post by HarryMWilliams
You would break this up into two main parts; firstly discussing how water enters the roots and is moved into the xylem and secondly how water is then moved up the xylem. Some key points to discuss!

Roots to Xylem

Metal ions and nutrients actively pumped into roots, this lowers water potential.

Water then diffuses down its water potential gradient passively into the roots of the plant.

The water molecules will now either travel by the apoplast, symplast or vacuolar pathways through various parts of the root cells until they reach the casparian strip which forces all water travelling via the apoplast pathway into the cell (a waterproofing layer if you will).

Because the water molecules are now in the cells prior to the xylem they will have to pass through its plasma membrane, hence the level of water entering the xylem is now controlled.

Xylem to Leaf and Beyond!

Water moves up the xylem of plants from higher areas of hydrostatic pressure to lower areas of hydrostatic pressure under tension through "mass flow".

Water mocules are adhesive and cohesive, which means they become attracted to the walls of the xylem and to other water molecules. Hence, very soon "columns of water" form within the xylem vessels.

THIS IS BRILLIANT
thankyou thankyou thankyou
But could you explain how the water vapour leaves the stomata?
Reply 1382
Please can someone explain me the water vapour potential in transpiration?? bit confused!!
Reply 1383
is the oxyhaemoglobin dissociation curve different to the bohr effect? im really confused! :hmmmm:
You would break this up into two main parts; firstly discussing how water enters the roots and is moved into the xylem and secondly how water is then moved up the xylem. Some key points to discuss!

Roots to Xylem

Metal ions and nutrients actively pumped into roots, this lowers water potential.

Water then diffuses down its water potential gradient passively into the roots of the plant.

The water molecules will now either travel by the apoplast, symplast or vacuolar pathways through various parts of the root cells until they reach the casparian strip which forces all water travelling via the apoplast pathway into the cell (a waterproofing layer if you will).

Because the water molecules are now in the cells prior to the xylem they will have to pass through its plasma membrane, hence the level of water entering the xylem is now controlled.

Xylem to Leaf and Beyond!

Water moves up the xylem of plants from higher areas of hydrostatic pressure to lower areas of hydrostatic pressure under tension through "mass flow".

Water mocules are adhesive and cohesive, which means they become attracted to the walls of the xylem and to other water molecules. Hence, very soon "columns of water" form within the xylem vessels.

Doesn't the casparian strip force water into the symplast pathway first and then into the cell?
Original post by 06ypicto
is the oxyhaemoglobin dissociation curve different to the bohr effect? im really confused! :hmmmm:

The dissociation curve shifts to the right and down for the Bohr effect, usually it's sigmoid shape, s-curved.
Reply 1386
What is the name of prokaryotic DNA?
Is it referred to as 'bacterial chromosome' or 'circular chromosome'????
Original post by Anongal
What is the name of prokaryotic DNA?
Is it referred to as 'bacterial chromosome' or 'circular chromosome'????

Prokaryotic cells have circular DNA or a plasmid:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
A good question for you is:-

role of macrophages
Original post by sandra95.p
Doesn't the casparian strip force water into the symplast pathway first and then into the cell?

The symplast pathway sees water molecules diffuse through cytoplasm inside cells. As far as OCR are concerned this is inside the cell (according to my AS teacher).
The symplast pathway sees water molecules diffuse through cytoplasm inside cells. As far as OCR are concerned this is inside the cell (according to my AS teacher).

ok, thank you :smile:
Original post by otrivine
A good question for you is:-

role of macrophages

what is a macrophange???????? :confused:
Original post by sandra95.p
ok, thank you :smile:

No worries.

Original post by morvenrkr

Macro.. BIG, phagein.. eater? :s-smilie:
Original post by morvenrkr

Macrophage is white blood cell:tongue:
Does anyone have a good model answer for blood plasma, tissue fluid and lymph? When i attempt to answer this question i write:

* Blood plasma diffuses out of the capillaries forming tissue fluid at the arterial end because the there is a higher hydrostatic pressure in the capillaries than in the capillary bed.

Is this even right, and if so what do i say after this?
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
Does anyone have a good model answer for blood plasma, tissue fluid and lymph? When i attempt to answer this question i write:

* Blood plasma diffuses out of the capillaries forming tissue fluid at the arterial end because the there is a higher hydrostatic pressure in the capillaries than in the capillary bed.

Is this even right, and if so what do i say after this?

What is the question?
Reply 1396
Define Homologous pair of chromosomes!
Reply 1397
Original post by Anongal

Chromosomes that have the same genes at the same loci.
Original post by Anongal

'Chromosomes of same length, with centromere in same position'
^^ should get you two marks
Reply 1399
Original post by Beni24
Chromosomes that have the same genes at the same loci.

Usually 3 mark question.

would u say: genetically identical chromosomes that have the same genes but different alleles at the same loci, found in the nucleus

??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending