The Student Room Group

the course or the uni? Durham vs. UEA

Ok so here's my dilemma...
I have to reply to my offers quite soon, BUT I can't decide between UEA and Durham. They've both offered me ABB

Durham has an amazing reputation and the course (anthropology) is perfect for me, but is quite far away

BUT I really like East Anglia as a university, but the course (anthropology, art history and archeology) isn't exactly what I had in mind, tho seems good and has the chance to spend a year in Australia

The thing is that both places are completely different, so i like aspects of both of them.

Anyone got any advice?
Reply 1
I'd bite the bullet and go with Durham. Like you said, the course is good and the reputation is great. Unless you really dislike Durham's collegiate system/campus life, you should head there.
Reply 2
UEA all the way!!! It's great!!!
I'd go with Durham. Enjoying the course is really important, and as long as you don't dislike the university, I'd say that would be the better choice.
Reply 4
imho always go with the course over the uni, because its silly to go just for somewhere you like for a course you don't really want to do. so stick with durham i guess.
Reply 5
Stick with Durham. You'd fine happiness where ever you go! :smile:
Reply 6
As both Durham and UEA are "good" universities I wouldn't worry that much about reputation overall, although you might want to look at how each is rated for the specific course that you want to study. For example, if you want to do psychology, make sure that the course is BPS accredited. The Quality Assurance Agency has subject reports for most unis that you can view at:

http://www.qaa.ac.uk/reviews/reports/instIndex.asp

I also agree with another on here that unless you hate the place, go with the university that does your first choice course.

You also need to realise that once you are "in the system" i.e. you have been accepted through UCAS at a university and done say a year there, it is much easier to transfer to another university.

Latest

Trending

Trending