The Student Room Group

Apple core litter fine angers County Down driver

Reply 1
Rediculous as it says its biodegradable it would be different if plastic but £150 for an apple. Really?
Reply 2
Throwing things out of moving vehicles (whether they are biodegradable or not) is actually quite reckless... He should have been sent a written notice about responsible behaviour on the roads, not a £50 fine. However, he's an idiot for ignoring the fine - just pay fines when you get them and move on.
Reply 3

It's stupid. It's biodegradable and can provide food for the birds and insects, especially at this time of year.
Reply 4
Original post by Mazzini
It's stupid. It's biodegradable and can provide food for the birds and insects, especially at this time of year.

Exactly and too the guy that said it is wreckless it was thrown straight into a hedge the guy behind must live one sad life reporting him
Reply 5
What about Banana skins? they take a while to degrade.
Reply 6
Original post by Robertall

But still provide good food for insects and tbh its not the point its still biodegradable unlike plastics.. Btw it takes a banana skin 3-5 weeks to decompose
Reply 7
Original post by ThomasD96
But still provide good food for insects and tbh its not the point its still biodegradable unlike plastics.. Btw it takes a banana skin 3-5 weeks to decompose

It takes about two years for a banana skin but he was throwing it in a hedge so it doesn't matter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/sep/24/bananas-litter-hikers-mountains-scotland
Reply 8
Original post by Guy Secretan
It takes about two years for a banana skin but he was throwing it in a hedge so it doesn't matter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/sep/24/bananas-litter-hikers-mountains-scotland

Wow lol dont use wiki answers even still its inevitable that it will decay
Reply 9
I think the fact he threw something that's biodegradable means he probably shouldn't have received such a disproportionate fine - if any - but it's probably more to do with the principle.

People shouldn't be throwing their rubbish out of car windows regardless of what it is and while it's nowhere near as irritating as when you see people throwing McDonald's packaging onto the road, an apple core would still be classed as littering and that's against the law.

I doubt he was really motivated by the ways in which he could help nature anyway so his 'biodegradable' argument is kind of void; littering is littering...
I agree with Karousel. Ok, so an apple core is biodegradable, but what if everyone started chucking their biodegradable items into hedges? While the throwing of a single apple core into a hedge will hardly cause a massive problem, the principle that it is wrong to dispose of waste food in such a manner should be upheld.

While £250 seems a lot, he could have got away with paying a lot less had he just done the decent thing and paid straight up. He would have got away with paying no fine had he just chucked the core in the bin when he got home...
Original post by Robertall

Three to four weeks, with a slight variation in the conditions (a banana peel in a dry desert or permafrost isn't going to decompose as quickly).

The two years line is a myth.
Reply 12
When I read things like this...

Original post by InnerTemple
I agree with Karousel. Ok, so an apple core is biodegradable, but what if everyone started chucking their biodegradable items into hedges?

It would decompose into compost, improve the soil, fertilise the hedging and plants making them stronger and healthier, and many fruit trees would grow along roadsides providing a free source of food for humans and wildlife alike. Oh yes, what an awful world that would be. :rolleyes:

This fine is stupid. The do-gooder who reported it is stupid. The mindless bureaucrats who issued the fine are stupid. I don't understand how these people think it is somehow better for a good apple core to simply be thrown in a bin where it will just end up in some landfill site, become poisoned and ultimately useless; instead of being put back into the environment to contribute to the circle of life, like nature intended?
Original post by Greenlaner
It would decompose into compost, improve the soil, fertilise the hedging and plants making them stronger and healthier, and many fruit trees would grow along roadsides providing a free source of food for humans and wildlife alike. Oh yes, what an awful world that would be. :rolleyes:

This fine is stupid. The do-gooder who reported it is stupid. The mindless bureaucrats who issued the fine are stupid. I don't understand how these people think it is somehow better for a good apple core to simply be thrown in a bin where it will just end up in some landfill site, become poisoned and ultimately useless; instead of being put back into the environment to contribute to the circle of life, like nature intended?

If he was so environmentally conscientious, he could have just seen to it that the apple core was composted. He could have a compost heap at home or, in some areas, the Local Authority provide bins for biodegradable items.

Simply throwing your waste food items into hedges really isn't on. If everyone were to do it, I am sure it could become a problem.
Reply 15
Original post by Mazzini

But if the apple hit a cyclist it could've caused death
Original post by InnerTemple
Simply throwing your waste food items into hedges really isn't on. If everyone were to do it, I am sure it could become a problem.

Depends what kind of food. If its heavily processed junk food, full of artificial preservatives and chemicals, then yes it might cause problems and should obviously be disposed of properly. Fresh fruit or vegetable waste on the other hand will cause no problems whatsoever.
Original post by Fusion

Err... I hope you're joking!
Original post by Fusion

He could have lost control of his car and swerved into a child. Any number of terrible things could have happened that day. But they didn't, and the apple didn't kill a cyclist either. Don't waste time dwelling on the could'ves, we will be here all week otherwise.
Reply 19
Original post by Fusion

I hope you're being sarcastic, but if not I think it would've been fairly self-evident that there wasn't a cyclist there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending