The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Narev
I'm not sure about other subjects, but looking at the UK A levels for Mathematics, I think Singapore's is more rigorous. I've looked at some sample papers, and I find the questions there relatively easy, as compared to Singapore's A levels in Mathematics, or Further Mathematics.

Plus, I dislike the fact that they can pick and choose modules unlike SG's, where you just sit two 3x hour papers, and even have resits if they do badly. It kinds of..puts a mockery on the examination of mathematics, where you could simply mug for that module and pass.

yep i did say the math is loads easier. not sure bout further math. dont take that. o the resit thing i have to say is unfair... but the module thing. pros and cons. we take modules may seem to mean we have less to study per exam but it ALSO means they have more to test per topic. so yea... i prefer singapore's a level sitting style in that sense....get rid of the agony in ONE SHOT.. im so used to finishing my exams knowing i have nothing else to study for...here's like...ok people, u guys finished r exams. now the for next module..blah blah blah...gribit.. lol
Reply 1981
gi.
yeap the catered fees are included in the intercoll fees

ah well sent my choices anyway and i chose stanford street. u have to rank all of em anyway. having lived with a host family before in england i DONT WANNA have my food included in the fees. i mean i wanna go out with my friends on weekends and friday to eat out but end up feeling hey..but i did pay for the food already..*sadly goes back home* lol.
Reply 1982
Jilly.0
yep i did say the math is loads easier. not sure bout further math. dont take that. o the resit thing i have to say is unfair... but the module thing. pros and cons. we take modules may seem to mean we have less to study per exam but it ALSO means they have more to test per topic. so yea... i prefer singapore's a level sitting style in that sense....get rid of the agony in ONE SHOT.. im so used to finishing my exams knowing i have nothing else to study for...here's like...ok people, u guys finished r exams. now the for next module..blah blah blah...gribit.. lol

Nod, but I kind of see the modules as a: Memorize this much. After exam - forget.

A three hour paper can help (but not entirely alleviate) this - because you don't actually know what will come out, so you have to actually understand everything.
Reply 1983
Narev
Nod, but I kind of see the modules as a: Memorize this much. After exam - forget.

A three hour paper can help (but not entirely alleviate) this - because you don't actually know what will come out, so you have to actually understand everything.

lol the modules are actually synoptic. i.e. its literally studying everything u did in january in june again, plus ur june stuff...its built up tbh...besides physics and math...so that kinda sucks...esp for people liike us who r used to burning our books after the one day of agony hahahah
Anyone going to newcastle for medicine? :biggrin:
Reply 1985
sweetweet
Anyone going to newcastle for medicine? :biggrin:

Aberdeen Aberdeeeeen!!! :yep: haha. BTW are you applying for NUS med?
Wow you have ALL offers I'd be so thrilled if I were you!! Just curious, why did you choose Aberdeen? It was one of my initial choices for ucas :smile: And yeah I'm applying NUS but would really like to live in the uk....ON MY OWN!! :biggrin: CHEERS!!
Reply 1987
sweetweet
Wow you have ALL offers I'd be so thrilled if I were you!! Just curious, why did you choose Aberdeen? It was one of my initial choices for ucas :smile: And yeah I'm applying NUS but would really like to live in the uk....ON MY OWN!! :biggrin: CHEERS!!

Ahahaha thanks!!! :awesome: I think I'm really lucky XD

Do you mean Aberdeen over the other unis I've received offers from or the initial uni picking process? (Really different for me... Cos when I picked the medical schools at first I didn't know much about their course structure and stuff- until like a few days before the interviews where I'd be frantically reading up ahaha :p: )

Well I'd take it as the former anyway :biggrin:

Aberdeen cos I think it has a really great course structure compared to the rest: Integrated + systems based + a great new centre for teaching + lower fees and other stuff! :yep: And partly (teeny weeny bit) because of the city itself being small and safe and peaceful and nice and near the sea ^^ (sounds like singapore ey?? :X)

Ditto the bolded bit!!!!!! HAhaha :p:
ANYONE ELSE FROM SINGAPORE GOING TO LSE?? I'm matriculating in 2011 because of NS!!!! x(
Reply 1989
It's sadd :bawling: Many in Sg think that overseas med schools (excluding oxbridge, cos they're like 'THE best in everything...') can't compare to NUS med. And the general idea is that as long as you fork out $$$$ you can get in. Frustrating! :mad2:

What are your thoughts on this? ):
Anyone going to London for medicine?? :biggrin:
Reply 1991
sweetweet
Anyone going to London for medicine?? :biggrin:

Me! UCL, 2011 :smile:
Reply 1992
Octupus
It's sadd :bawling: Many in Sg think that overseas med schools (excluding oxbridge, cos they're like 'THE best in everything...') can't compare to NUS med. And the general idea is that as long as you fork out $$$$ you can get in. Frustrating! :mad2:

What are your thoughts on this? ):

I agree. NUS medicine has always been regarded as one of the best courses in the best university in Singapore. And Singaporeans, with our obsession of being number one in just about anything, are naturally biased towards our own medical school. Anyway, it's not like the average Singaporean spends time comparing NUSmed with overseas med schools. Thus the impression remains.

However, I believe that once you become a doctor, nobody really cares which school you came from. It really comes down to how well you perform on the job. You could have gone to the lowest ranked med school but still outperform peers from 'better' medschs if you're good. I think it really boils down to passion and determination on your part.

So, don't bother about what other people think of overseas medschs. Go ahead and enjoy your overseas study experience, grow in your passion for medicine through the course, and come back and show everyone how good a doctor you are :smile:
Reply 1993
rdan
I agree. NUS medicine has always been regarded as one of the best courses in the best university in Singapore. And Singaporeans, with our obsession of being number one in just about anything, are naturally biased towards our own medical school. Anyway, it's not like the average Singaporean spends time comparing NUSmed with overseas med schools. Thus the impression remains.

However, I believe that once you become a doctor, nobody really cares which school you came from. It really comes down to how well you perform on the job. You could have gone to the lowest ranked med school but still outperform peers from 'better' medschs if you're good. I think it really boils down to passion and determination on your part.

So, don't bother about what other people think of overseas medschs. Go ahead and enjoy your overseas study experience, grow in your passion for medicine through the course, and come back and show everyone how good a doctor you are :smile:

Woww that's a really inspiring post!!!! Thanks! :jumphug:
rdan
Me! UCL, 2011 :smile:

You're a guy? Lol I'm probably going to IC this yr. Hope to know you next year!
Hi :h
Reply 1996
Octupus
Aberdeen Aberdeeeeen!!! :yep: haha. BTW are you applying for NUS med?

Aberdeen?! Same here!

(Oh and uh so are you applying for NUS Med?)
Reply 1997
Jilly.0
why AM i glad to see someone's more interested in me than kcl and uk per se hahah...well...firstly, i have to admit i came here for a levels with two reasons in mind.
1) im gonna be reading law. its a very uk-based subject. so being here early will make me get used to the life here and also the uk 'system'. making me able to get the knack of things easier
2) i THOUGHT key word being THOUGHT) it will make me have an edge over other students who have not came over for a levels when it comes to university application. but this reason u can completely ignore cos...well..i got rejected by oxford so there u go.

im gonna be really honest to say some of my friends came over because they couldnt handle the stress in singapore. i am from nanyang girls high and i did not do the o levels and went to hwachong thru the IP programme. so i dont know much about the o level system but the stress in nanyang and hwachong was so immense that some couldnt take it. so that i can completely understand too. As for me, i guess i could handle the stress but i think if i am so sure im gonna be reading law instead of some other courses, and UK is the only place i wanna be since i was in sec 2 , i mite as well come here earlier. true, u do not really know what u want when ur 15 but i guess for my case, i knew where being in nanyang is gonna lead me cos i knew i was gonna go hwachong and one thing that puts me off is that...well im from nanyang primary as well..the near-stagnation of my social circle(since the girls mostly went on to nanyang girls with me andmost of them qualified to go thru IP to hwachong as well) is not something difficult to imagine i guess... yeap.

:smile:)

Wait. Does Jilly... = Jillian?!
Reply 1998
satinskies
Wait. Does Jilly... = Jillian?!

eh? lol sorry whose this haha
Reply 1999
Jilly.0
eh? lol sorry whose this haha

Your friend/ ex-classmate who really, really wants to study Med (in UK)?

Quick Reply

Latest