The Student Room Group

becoming a doctor abroad

Hi,
I am currently in sixth form and after university, I am considering moving abroad to practice as a doctor, either Canada or Singapore.
I am totally lost on how the process works even after doing some research so if anyone could answer any of my questions, I would be very grateful.
1. Should I transfer immediately after finish university or is it better to do so after training?
2. Would it be possible to transfer to continue training halfway through training in the UK?
3. How do I go about getting jobs in hospitals abroad?
The reason I would like to transfer halfway through training or before becoming a consultant is because I want to have enough time when I guess I'm 'young enough' to make new friends and build a life etc after moving away. So if anyone could give me any advice which could help me plan how to approach this, I would very much appreciate it. Even advice which may be unrelated to this but about moving abroad would be great. Thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by anonymous294
Hi,
I am currently in sixth form and after university, I am considering moving abroad to practice as a doctor, either Canada or Singapore.
I am totally lost on how the process works even after doing some research so if anyone could answer any of my questions, I would be very grateful.
1. Should I transfer immediately after finish university or is it better to do so after training?
2. Would it be possible to transfer to continue training halfway through training in the UK?
3. How do I go about getting jobs in hospitals abroad?
The reason I would like to transfer halfway through training or before becoming a consultant is because I want to have enough time when I guess I'm 'young enough' to make new friends and build a life etc after moving away. So if anyone could give me any advice which could help me plan how to approach this, I would very much appreciate it. Even advice which may be unrelated to this but about moving abroad would be great. Thank you!!

Hard to give a tailored answer especially when you're years away from this being a reality.

However, in general terms, it is much easier to move abroad once you have completed postgraduate training (i.e. have CCT) vs trying to start postgraduate training abroad. Most countries have rules about reserving residency/training positions for home graduates or at least citizens. For Canada in particular it is very hard to find work without CCT or citizenship.

Singapore has a list of acceptable medical schools (not all UK unis are on this) and postgraduate qualifications - in recent years they have become less IMG friendly.

Best bet might be Australia or NZ following completion of FY2 especially if you're flexible about where you're happy to live and work.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Hard to give a tailored answer especially when you're years away from this being a reality.

However, in general terms, it is much easier to move abroad once you have completed postgraduate training (i.e. have CCT) vs trying to start postgraduate training abroad. Most countries have rules about reserving residency/training positions for home graduates or at least citizens. For Canada in particular it is very hard to find work without CCT or citizenship.

Singapore has a list of acceptable medical schools (not all UK unis are on this) and postgraduate qualifications - in recent years they have become less IMG friendly.

Best bet might be Australia or NZ following completion of FY2 especially if you're flexible about where you're happy to live and work.

Hi, thank you so much for your reply! I know it is really far away but I'm on holiday right now so I figured I might as well do some research!
Just a couple of follow up questions, what is the post graduate training in the UK (I assume it commences after you finish uni but at which stage does it end because the UK training is very long with multiple stages?)
How many years is the postgraduate training?
Is Singapore good for becoming a doctor with a good salary and good work/life balance and why would it be a safer bet to go to Australia or NZ? (only reason is that I've always dreamt of moving to singapore or canada even though I've heard Australia is really good for doctors.)
Thank you so much, I know some of these questions sound basic but I would appreciate any help. Thanks again!
Reply 3
Hi, thank you so much for your reply! I know it is really far away but I'm on holiday right now so I figured I might as well do some research!
Just a couple of follow up questions, what is the post graduate training in the UK (I assume it commences after you finish uni but at which stage does it end because the UK training is very long with multiple stages?)
How many years is the postgraduate training?
Is Singapore good for becoming a doctor with a good salary and good work/life balance and why would it be a safer bet to go to Australia or NZ? (only reason is that I've always dreamt of moving to singapore or canada even though I've heard Australia is really good for doctors.)
Thank you so much, I know some of these questions sound basic but I would appreciate any help. Thanks again!

Postgraduate training is a general term referring to any training/education you undertake after graduating from medical school. This includes FY1/2 and core/specialty training and various membership and fellowship exams you have to do along the way. It ends when you complete the training programme and gain a CCT.

Length of training varies from specialty to specialty but 3-8 years is typical. Many people will take longer to complete their training due to taking time out for various reasons - this is normal and fine in most cases.

I don't know huge amounts about Singapore but I think it's pretty work intensive. I'm not sure it's somewhere known for its laid back lifestyle.

NZ/Aus are safer bets for doing training abroad if you're very keen to get away from the UK asap. For other countries like Canada you're likely to struggle without a CCT.
Reply 4
Postgraduate training is a general term referring to any training/education you undertake after graduating from medical school. This includes FY1/2 and core/specialty training and various membership and fellowship exams you have to do along the way. It ends when you complete the training programme and gain a CCT.

Length of training varies from specialty to specialty but 3-8 years is typical. Many people will take longer to complete their training due to taking time out for various reasons - this is normal and fine in most cases.

I don't know huge amounts about Singapore but I think it's pretty work intensive. I'm not sure it's somewhere known for its laid back lifestyle.

NZ/Aus are safer bets for doing training abroad if you're very keen to get away from the UK asap. For other countries like Canada you're likely to struggle without a CCT.

Thank you very much for your reply. If I do residency abroad, does that mean completing FY1/F2 in the UK and then doing speciality/core training elsewhere and is it possible to do this? Also, I am considering doing surgery in the future so would the training timeline look similar if you wanted to train as a consultant?
Reply 5
Thank you very much for your reply. If I do residency abroad, does that mean completing FY1/F2 in the UK and then doing speciality/core training elsewhere and is it possible to do this? Also, I am considering doing surgery in the future so would the training timeline look similar if you wanted to train as a consultant?

You're certainly well advised to complete FY1 so you can gain full GMC registration. Leaving after that is possible but FY2 would be a more natural break point.

Most other countries seem to have shorter timelines for completing specialty training compared with the UK but I'm not sure of the specifics of this.
Reply 6
You're certainly well advised to complete FY1 so you can gain full GMC registration. Leaving after that is possible but FY2 would be a more natural break point.

Most other countries seem to have shorter timelines for completing specialty training compared with the UK but I'm not sure of the specifics of this.

ok thank you very much for your advice, this has helped me a lot! :smile:
Reply 7
Leaving after FY2 is usual practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending