The Student Room Group

Concord College

Hi, are there any female students that went to concord college here that could help me with what to pack? I come from a country that doesn't have winter and am unsure of how many sets to bring especially since I heard laundry is only done once a week. If anyone could help with a winter packing list or even a summer one, I'll be very grateful!! Thank you in advance!!
Original post by J_exploration
Hi, are there any female students that went to concord college here that could help me with what to pack? I come from a country that doesn't have winter and am unsure of how many sets to bring especially since I heard laundry is only done once a week. If anyone could help with a winter packing list or even a summer one, I'll be very grateful!! Thank you in advance!!

Hi are you from Singapore by any chance?
Reply 2
Original post by Chua Sharon
Hi are you from Singapore by any chance?

Yes I am!!
Yes I am!!

Glad to find someone from Singapore! I may be going there next Sep too. Trying to find out if there is a sort of support group for Singaporean students in Concord. BTW, not sure if you can share if you also apply to other schools like Cardiff Sixth form or Oxford International school, or what makes you decide on Concord?
Reply 4
Glad to find someone from Singapore! I may be going there next Sep too. Trying to find out if there is a sort of support group for Singaporean students in Concord. BTW, not sure if you can share if you also apply to other schools like Cardiff Sixth form or Oxford International school, or what makes you decide on Concord?

Oh I didn't apply to any other schools actually. But for me, my mom had a friend whose daughter went there so she felt that it was alright to let me go. Furthermore I looked at their curriculum and what support they gave for university admissions which suited my needs. Lastly it was their extra curriculars. I wanted to make sure there was something I liked. I'm going this September and if u do go next September let me know! I know group chats are made prior to going but it is from the admission officer as such I can't guarantee there will be one if you go. But I'll be happy to help once I figure out the system there and just drop me a message!
Oh I didn't apply to any other schools actually. But for me, my mom had a friend whose daughter went there so she felt that it was alright to let me go. Furthermore I looked at their curriculum and what support they gave for university admissions which suited my needs. Lastly it was their extra curriculars. I wanted to make sure there was something I liked. I'm going this September and if u do go next September let me know! I know group chats are made prior to going but it is from the admission officer as such I can't guarantee there will be one if you go. But I'll be happy to help once I figure out the system there and just drop me a message!

Yup, my mum also think may be better for me to go UK so easier to progress to the good universities there hopefully. Thought I am also kind of worried/skeptical since such schools are quite academically driven, so not sure is it really easier/better than just finishing A levels here.

For some reason, i cant seem to send a PM. let me try to figure out how to do that so can chat more!
Reply 6
Yup, my mum also think may be better for me to go UK so easier to progress to the good universities there hopefully. Thought I am also kind of worried/skeptical since such schools are quite academically driven, so not sure is it really easier/better than just finishing A levels here.

For some reason, i cant seem to send a PM. let me try to figure out how to do that so can chat more!

You guys will find UK A lvls so easy compared to SG a lvls especially if u guys were from a local school. I'm a Singaporean who did A levels in the UK and now serving NS so if need anything lmk!
Original post by HARR1
You guys will find UK A lvls so easy compared to SG a lvls especially if u guys were from a local school. I'm a Singaporean who did A levels in the UK and now serving NS so if need anything lmk!

Thanks for sharing! Yes, am from local school. However, UK has in the recent years made their A levels harder, also AS results no longer contribute towards the final A level results.

Is it quite common for students in UK (esp those schools with high proportion of Asian students) to be getting tuition on top of paying the very high boarding fees? I am quite worried about additional financial burden on my parents if I can't cope there well enough to be scoring A..
Reply 8

Do u have insta that way we cld private message?
Do u have insta that way we cld private message?

Hi yeah, anisha_07211.. not active though lol
Reply 10
Thanks for sharing! Yes, am from local school. However, UK has in the recent years made their A levels harder, also AS results no longer contribute towards the final A level results.

Is it quite common for students in UK (esp those schools with high proportion of Asian students) to be getting tuition on top of paying the very high boarding fees? I am quite worried about additional financial burden on my parents if I can't cope there well enough to be scoring A..

Nah its not really like Singapore, you'll find your school hours are quite long as well as teachers being more than happy to do 1 on 1 teaching if you don't understand something. I only know one person in my whole time in the UK that got tutoring and it was my sister LOL and it was one maths session a week.
Original post by HARR1
Nah it’s not really like Singapore, you'll find your school hours are quite long as well as teachers being more than happy to do 1 on 1 teaching if you don't understand something. I only know one person in my whole time in the UK that got tutoring and it was my sister LOL and it was one maths session a week.

Tks for sharing! Yes I am aware that hours are quite long, and even Saturday morning is taken up by tests.

are all the lessons for the math and sciences conducts in small group? Any lecture style lessons like in Singapore JC? Do teachers really follow up closely on each student progress as what they say on their website?
Reply 12
Tks for sharing! Yes I am aware that hours are quite long, and even Saturday morning is taken up by tests.

are all the lessons for the math and sciences conducts in small group? Any lecture style lessons like in Singapore JC? Do teachers really follow up closely on each student progress as what they say on their website?

honestly i feel like the teaching is better in UK. The group size is very school dependent for example the school I went to I had like 4 people in my class so it was pretty much like tuition. If you have time lots of schools offer like open days or sometimes you can have taster days at schools to see if it is suitable. I found that my teachers were very good and would be very happy to stay back after class to help me if i didn't fully understand something. I had a physics teacher who would arrive and leave an hour late/early to school just so students could ask him questions and he wasn't getting paid extra it was just cuz he was such a good teacher and offered his help.
Original post by HARR1
honestly i feel like the teaching is better in UK. The group size is very school dependent for example the school I went to I had like 4 people in my class so it was pretty much like tuition. If you have time lots of schools offer like open days or sometimes you can have taster days at schools to see if it is suitable. I found that my teachers were very good and would be very happy to stay back after class to help me if i didn't fully understand something. I had a physics teacher who would arrive and leave an hour late/early to school just so students could ask him questions and he wasn't getting paid extra it was just cuz he was such a good teacher and offered his help.

Sounds like a great school? Do you mind sharing which school you attended for A levels?
Reply 14

Class sizes depend on subject combinations. The average is around nine per class.

Given that there are tests in each subject every other week, it is difficult to not follow up closely.

Most of our Singaporean students love it at Concord - they always say how much free time they have compared to back home.
Thanks, are you from Singapore? How would you say the stress level is at concord compared to say a top school in Singapore? How would an average student from a top IP school fare there usually?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending