The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
congrats! :smile:
Reply 1181
congrats verse. anyway,im taking the same subjects as u too. just finished j1. btw, my o levels grades are lousy 5 b3, 1a2, 1 c6.. how does it affect me? also, i cant decide between uk n us (yup i noe about collegeconfidential, ive been there for past 1 yr :smile:)
Reply 1182
heheh, i'm also having a hard time deciding between both. it seems to me that its hard to decide which US Uni is good? and it seems getting an attachment or job offer in US is rather difficult due to citizenship issues?
Reply 1183
IMO getting a job overseas will definitely be tough no matter where you go, especially if your degree is a general type degree. In Europe I think your potential employer has to justify to the Government why they have to hire you instead of someone else from the EU or something...
I'm planning to do straight Economics either in Nottingham, Loughborough, Exeter or Lancaster.

Does anyone know how employers (and other humans in general) think of these universities, here in Singapore? And how does it matter to them if it's a BA or a BSc?
Reply 1185
anwar1808
I'm planning to do straight Economics either in Nottingham, Loughborough, Exeter or Lancaster.

Does anyone know how employers (and other humans in general) think of these universities, here in Singapore? And how does it matter to them if it's a BA or a BSc?

To be honest I feel that perhaps save Nottingham, the rest of those unis will draw blank stares from many people.

I was looking at Exeter for its combined degree programmes which seem to offer alot of variety but decided against it because of the lack of name recognition.
Reply 1186
Well, I know people who have studied in loughborough in Singapore, but I'm not sure if they are well-known for economics (I know they are for engineering)
Typical Singaporeans, going for name recognition and all.
I'm not saying its bad, its just the way society is today. Sigh.
All the unnecessary stress. At the end of the day you learn roughly the same set of skills required in your degree.
Reply 1188
mmm, i guess it depends on how you look at it..
For me, going overseas means going to a university better than what we have here, in which name and recognition plays a part, and of course, i'm looking to experience studying overseas (although I have already)

I guess we all have our different views on things, and I agree with you that it is the way the society is, I guess nothing is perfect.
Reply 1189
halo other sg peeps here. What uni are u going to and mind telling me your grades? Im taking h2 history econs lit h1 maths and I just realised I cant do straight econs in UK as i dont have h2 maths. is that true?
rawkingpunkster
All the unnecessary stress. At the end of the day you learn roughly the same set of skills required in your degree.

Obviously if good money's gonna be spent on a certain venture, good returns would be a nice thing to have. It is true that two different universities might give you the same set of skills, but if one is more recognised than the other - while all other things remain constant - wouldn't that be better? Nonetheless, I agree with you that society is to blame for such perceptions. Unfortunately or not, we live in that society.

Valour
halo other sg peeps here. What uni are u going to and mind telling me your grades? Im taking h2 history econs lit h1 maths and I just realised I cant do straight econs in UK as i dont have h2 maths. is that true?

That is not true at all. Do more research! For starters, check out the universities I've mentioned - Nottingham, Loughborough, Exeter, Lancaster. They don't require higher level math (though I trust they would most definitely be 'tie breakers').
Reply 1191
the best way to check is to email the universities themselves :smile: So far most of the universities I emailed reply pretty promptly.
Reply 1192
rawkingpunkster

Don't hate me because I'm not rich enough to justify the cost of getting a foreign education if it's not significantly better than what I'll be able to get locally. :rolleyes:

And look around the international study forum mate...you'll find that this is a natural concern and not merely 'typically singaporean'.
Reply 1193
@verse: any news from the unis?

i recently got an email from southampton for my poly results.. emailed them already.. heh
Reply 1194
Btw, Lionel you are not lionel lewis right? Anyway, what's your gpa/course if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 1195
lionel lewis?! LOL!
somehow I wish I was and I wish I wasn't.

My course is aerospace tech at NP..

GPA.. let's just say very close to 4 :wink:
Reply 1196
hmm so do singaporean students send in ucas forms or send it directly?
Reply 1197
i did it online... are there actually forms that can be sent? never seen anything like that on their website.
Reply 1198
Valour
hmm so do singaporean students send in ucas forms or send it directly?

So how do you actually include teachers' reference?
Reply 1199
You can get your teacher to type it out and send it to you through email.

Lionel:
Only the offer from York so far. =/

Quick Reply

Latest