The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

melsonchun
Lol, okay.. Have you settled the gargantuan costs that involved in living in london? Suppose if i get admitted into kcl or ucl, i'm saying if, i'm worried that my parents would not have deep-enough-pockets.:frown:

yeah. i THINK they have prepared the astronomical costs.:confused: 'cos when I received my first conditional offer (KCL. this was before the release of As) I had double, triple-checks with them they can cope with the financial burden. Yeah.

Well, if you're worried about the costs, then opting for non-london schools would be much cheaper. Like warwick, nottingham etc.
Hi guys!

Any fellow Singaporeans starting Electronic & E Engineering at UCL this year?
melsonchun
Lol, okay.. Have you settled the gargantuan costs that involved in living in london? Suppose if i get admitted into kcl or ucl, i'm saying if, i'm worried that my parents would not have deep-enough-pockets.:frown:

Don't worry! I'm sure if your parents actually agreed to you going to kcl/ucl for uni they would've made plans already :smile: anyway, what made you decide to apply for law? if i rmbr correctly.

i think i'm the only one in my jc applying to the uk too, the scholars aside.
Reply 1383
woo.. more people..

We should make a list of people going to a UK Uni this year..

Ok I shall start..

List of Singaporeans going to a UK University 2009 on TSR
1. lionelg (Aerospace Engineering @ University of Bristol)

List of TSR people attending the UK Pre-departure event on the 25th July 2009
1. gi
2. ychangling
3. lionelg
Reply 1384
2. Jialat (Aerospace Engineering @ University of Bath)

1. gi
2. ychangling
3. lionelg
4. Jialat(Maybe)
RANDOMLY BUTTING IN :X

3. strychnine (Biology and Math @ University of Bristol)

1. gi
2. ychangling
3. lionelg
4. Jialat
5. (maybe?) strychnine
summersolitude
Don't worry! I'm sure if your parents actually agreed to you going to kcl/ucl for uni they would've made plans already :smile: anyway, what made you decide to apply for law? if i rmbr correctly.

i think i'm the only one in my jc applying to the uk too, the scholars aside.

Haha, hopefully man. I mean the feeling kind of sucks - you know going abroad will be a strain on finance somehow, yet they still agreed to it, and you sort of feel guilty and morally obligated to repay them in future. And the extra cost for that wee bit of extra prestige of coming from a london college. Well, parents are indeed a noble lot.

Anw, law. Hmm, it would seem unconventional since I came from a science stream in JC and most ppl would think of ppl making such a switch as ppl hankering the high salary and stuff related to money. As for me, I have enjoyed the way of reasoning; the intellectual challenge that law provides. It's almost like there are so many ways to arrive at a decision - itself also a constantly evolving body of rules and regulations, which makes the study all the more exciting. Sounds idealistic right? Haven't really decided what I really want to do next after the degree despite the very obvious career paths. Hope I manage to convey my enthusiasm for law through my PS, enough to convince them to offer me admission.

How about you? What made you decide to take up the course that you'll be taking?
Reply 1387

1. gi
2. ychangling
3. lionelg
4. Jialat
5. (maybe?) strychnine
6. Narev (perhaps)
4. brighteyee (Law @ Uni of Bristol) i'm malaysian though. hehe

1. gi
2. ychangling
3. lionelg
4. Jialat
5. (maybe?) strychnine
6. Narev (perhaps)
7. brighteyee
Another question, if I happen to screw up my O levels and got a majority of B3s and A2s, how will the admission team view that?
Reply 1390
melsonchun
Another question, if I happen to screw up my O levels and got a majority of B3s and A2s, how will the admission team view that?

dependent on universities. some universities dont really focus alot on our O levels, which is almost equivalent to UK's AS levels.. i only heard of oxbridge and LSE sifting through their first round of great many applicants with AS results.

by the way anyone going in 2010? .. only seen the 2009 or the one 2011..
melsonchun
Haha, hopefully man. I mean the feeling kind of sucks - you know going abroad will be a strain on finance somehow, yet they still agreed to it, and you sort of feel guilty and morally obligated to repay them in future. And the extra cost for that wee bit of extra prestige of coming from a london college. Well, parents are indeed a noble lot.

Anw, law. Hmm, it would seem unconventional since I came from a science stream in JC and most ppl would think of ppl making such a switch as ppl hankering the high salary and stuff related to money. As for me, I have enjoyed the way of reasoning; the intellectual challenge that law provides. It's almost like there are so many ways to arrive at a decision - itself also a constantly evolving body of rules and regulations, which makes the study all the more exciting. Sounds idealistic right? Haven't really decided what I really want to do next after the degree despite the very obvious career paths. Hope I manage to convey my enthusiasm for law through my PS, enough to convince them to offer me admission.

How about you? What made you decide to take up the course that you'll be taking?

I haven't really decided yet, but I'm thinking of doing something along the line of geography, especially so since the UK is such a fabulous place to do earth sciences or geology. But I think most people feel that its a total waste of time to study something like geography as opposed to say business which imo, is truly the most overrated 'superficial' course that people do based on the impression of better income and all. I thought of doing political science and sociology too but yeah, geography offers some modules one these subs all well so I guess it would be a little bit of an overlap.

Still not sure though.. what do you think?
gi.
by the way anyone going in 2010? .. only seen the 2009 or the one 2011..

I would be! That's if my application gets through after I've applied :smile:
Reply 1393
well my only advice would be that just try and apply and see what comes back then consider your options. Go with an open mind.

If you already made up your mind on that particular uni, and they reject you, the feeling would suck.
summersolitude
I haven't really decided yet, but I'm thinking of doing something along the line of geography, especially so since the UK is such a fabulous place to do earth sciences or geology. But I think most people feel that its a total waste of time to study something like geography as opposed to say business which imo, is truly the most overrated 'superficial' course that people do based on the impression of better income and all. I thought of doing political science and sociology too but yeah, geography offers some modules one these subs all well so I guess it would be a little bit of an overlap.

Still not sure though.. what do you think?

Hmm, if you ask me, I'll definitely encourage you to take up whatever that you have passion in. I used to enjoy geog a lot in secondary school, so i can understand the attraction. Pragmatically speaking, and sadly, geog does not offer much prospect, except maybe in the teaching or environmental profession? Perhaps political science and sociology would open more doors? Unless you're talking abt the opportunities abroad, then the world would be your oyster!:biggrin: Haha, hope i have been useful.:woo: :woo:
melsonchun
Hmm, if you ask me, I'll definitely encourage you to take up whatever that you have passion in. I used to enjoy geog a lot in secondary school, so i can understand the attraction. Pragmatically speaking, and sadly, geog does not offer much prospect, except maybe in the teaching or environmental profession? Perhaps political science and sociology would open more doors? Unless you're talking abt the opportunities abroad, then the world would be your oyster!:biggrin: Haha, hope i have been useful.:woo: :woo:

Actually i'm not planning to do anything geog related in future. My parents have got their business so yeah, I've somehow got a cushion if I don't really make it. Well as a consolation to myself, Prince William did geography too :p: Oh well, I guess I should just stop worrying too much and apply for the uni at the end of this year and see how things go! It would suck so bad if I worry for like an entire year and end up doing some random course in NUS FASS. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much! haha anw have you finished your a levels or?
Reply 1396
Umm to all those looking to apply to a UK Uni, there's this Scholarship and Top Universities Fair on the 19th June (Sunday) @ Suntec City 10am-6pm

Universities reps (and I suppose alumni/current students) from the US/UK/AU would be there and there would be the usual talks and stuff.

List of Unis and details can be found on the Straits Times newspaper :smile:
Lionelg
Umm to all those looking to apply to a UK Uni, there's this Scholarship and Top Universities Fair on the 19th June (Sunday) @ Suntec City 10am-6pm

Universities reps (and I suppose alumni/current students) from the US/UK/AU would be there and there would be the usual talks and stuff.

List of Unis and details can be found on the Straits Times newspaper :smile:

I think you meant July.

And I might be going to the UK (Warwick) too. :smile::woo:
Reply 1398
yes July.. sorry.. hahaa :smile:
summersolitude
Actually i'm not planning to do anything geog related in future. My parents have got their business so yeah, I've somehow got a cushion if I don't really make it. Well as a consolation to myself, Prince William did geography too :p: Oh well, I guess I should just stop worrying too much and apply for the uni at the end of this year and see how things go! It would suck so bad if I worry for like an entire year and end up doing some random course in NUS FASS. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much! haha anw have you finished your a levels or?

Haha, i see. Thats cool too.:yep: No worries, I'm sure you'll do well in what you do. I have confidence in you!!! LOL for the prince william part. Well, i'm currently doing national slavery, so I guess I've taken my A Levels already? Well, if your family's financial condition permits, you can still go abroad despite being admitted into fass right?(well, i chose ntu acct over nus fass. that will be my safety school in sg):biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest