The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
soonalvin
cambridge is quite a big loss i guess. plus i am stuck in singapore. :mad:

Never underestimate studying Medicine at NUS! It's extremely coveted and a challenge you won't find a breeze.
Reply 161
soonalvin
i don't quite know actually. i replied to medicine already. so i guess it's over for cambridge. but i could always write in to NUS to change my mind. they have LOADS of people waitlisted. yeah.

cambridge is quite a big loss i guess. plus i am stuck in singapore. :mad:

Have you told A*STAR?

Don't be rash about this seriously. This decision is the most important one yet that you'll be making in your life.
Reply 162
i haven't signed the astar contract yet. so it's okay.
yeah, i guess medicine has all the perks and the job security that research cannot ever give. plus, i can always go back to research if i so wish. but i can't go treat people with a bio degree.

and i never said NUS Medicine was easy. I've seen, and tried to learn, some of the first year stuff. Anatomy is a real bitch. haha.
Hey I'm really glad you've made up your mind :smile:
Reply 164
soonalvin
yeah, i guess medicine has all the perks and the job security that research cannot ever give. plus, i can always go back to research if i so wish. but i can't go treat people with a bio degree.
Logical I suppose. Good luck.
Reply 165
soonalvin

and i never said NUS Medicine was easy. I've seen, and tried to learn, some of the first year stuff. Anatomy is a real bitch. haha.

I think you're underestimating your degree. :p:

I doubt you'll ever go unemployed considering the fact that you'll be receiving a degree from Cambridge, and the fact that you'll be guaranteed with a couple years of work experience from A*STAR. You'll be coveted.
Reply 166
Nutter
Logical I suppose. Good luck.

yeah, thanks! hopefully mindef approves disruption.
Reply 167
soonalvin
yeah, thanks! hopefully mindef approves disruption.

Don't worry about it, they will.

Must be good knowing you're gonna end up with 3 bars on your shoulder in a couple of years. :biggrin:

On the bright side, you just made the day of some anxious Cambridge applicant in an obscure part of the world!
Reply 168
Knogle
Must be good knowing you're gonna end up with 3 bars on your shoulder in a couple of years. :biggrin:
I sure hope that isn't your motivation...

On the bright side, you just made the day of some anxious Cambridge applicant in an obscure part of the world!
Not necessarily, since Cambridge won't change their decision on an applicant after they're confirmed in January. Only POSSIBLE scenario is that someone who missed his/her grades is still allowed admission, and I should stress "possible". They can very well make do without the additional student.
Reply 169
Nutter
I sure hope that isn't your motivation...

Of course not. It would be sad if it was. But it's definitely one of the side perks.

Nutter
Not necessarily, since Cambridge won't change their decision on an applicant after they're confirmed in January. Only POSSIBLE scenario is that someone who missed his/her grades is still allowed admission, and I should stress "possible". They can very well make do without the additional student.

Summer pool?
Reply 170
I'm new here :smile:; but while we're on the topic, how about Cambridge Law versus NUS Law + Econs double degree?

I will be self-financed, so money is the main problem for me. I'm not very sure if it's worth going all the way. :frown:
Reply 171
soonalvin
Summer pool?
Oh yes, those Cantabs have another pool coming up soon. Not sure how that one works.
Reply 172
jspuz
I'm new here :smile:; but while we're on the topic, how about Cambridge Law versus NUS Law + Econs double degree?

I will be self-financed, so money is the main problem for me. I'm not very sure if it's worth going all the way. :frown:

First of all, congrats on gaining admission into the double degree programme. I'd have to say though that I would definitely choose Cambridge Law over that. It's for a whole host of reasons and I don't even know where to start myself. I myself had to make a decision between Oxford PPE and NUS Law+Econs but I didn't have to ponder over it for long - I knew that my heart was in England.
Reply 173
jspuz

Hi. :smile: I'd pick Cambridge Law over the double degree at NUS anytime, if I was able to support myself financially that is.
Reply 174
Knogle
I think you're underestimating your degree. :p:

I doubt you'll ever go unemployed considering the fact that you'll be receiving a degree from Cambridge, and the fact that you'll be guaranteed with a couple years of work experience from A*STAR. You'll be coveted.

there are things that won't look nice esp on a public forum. anyhow, i might still go back to them afterall.
yeah. cambridge is still a sore point. but a natsci degree is but a natsci degree. (it's sad when i look at the prospectus. oh the beautiful buildings! :frown: )
Reply 175
Knogle
Hi. :smile: I'd pick Cambridge Law over the double degree at NUS anytime, if I was able to support myself financially that is.

Ditto that. Cambridge, is Cambridge. Haha.
Then again, Medicine, is Medicine. For me, that is.
Reply 176
To be very honest if I were a science student I would take Medicine over Cambridge too. I know a couple of people doing that and some even giving up PSC scholarships. NUS medicine is an amazing course; my sister loves it there, well, at least the clinicals (not so much the mugging :p:) . Medicine is a very rewarding profession - and it's just not the old cliche.

I won't have financial problems or anything; it's more of a question if it's worth the money. I would love to go to Cambridge as well, but I noticed that most of the partners in the law firm I'm working at now come from NUS. I wonder if it's just because of the proportional numbers that actually graduate from Cambridge Law - or the rumour that law firms tend to favour NUS graduates because NUS is their alma matar.
Reply 177
jspuz
To be very honest if I were a science student I would take Medicine over Cambridge too. I know a couple of people doing that and some even giving up PSC scholarships. NUS medicine is an amazing course; my sister loves it there, well, at least the clinicals (not so much the mugging :p:) . Medicine is a very rewarding profession - and it's just not the old cliche.

I won't have financial problems or anything; it's more of a question if it's worth the money. I would love to go to Cambridge as well, but I noticed that most of the partners in the law firm I'm working at now come from NUS. I wonder if it's just because of the proportional numbers that actually graduate from Cambridge Law - or the rumour that law firms tend to favour NUS graduates because NUS is their alma matar.

I really doubt that the theory of law firms favouring NUS graduates because its their alma mater holds water. :p: Go for it. :cool:
Reply 178
jspuz

JBJ's son is from Cambridge too. So was MM. Actually, I think as long as you've the calibre, it doesn't matter whether you went to Cambridge or NUS. But I would choose Cambridge for the unique experience. My Heart is still in England.
Reply 179
jspuz

I guarantee you that you will not be disadvantaged at all with a Cambridge Law degree. If at all, they won't employ you because your pay would be too high! The reason that you don't see many of them around is simply because not many people are even accepted for such a prestigious course each year. It's extremely coveted.

I'm curious though, do you already have an offer at Cambridge or will you be applying this year?

Quick Reply

Latest