The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
tanglewire
yes i do mean first year and second year entry. university of manchester aren't on the top on the list but it definitely has become my top choice after a brief interview session i had with their admission officer a few months back.

i've already sent an email but hasn't had any reply for a week. i really doubt things are so inefficient as it seems. should i let the waiting continue ?

just wait out i guess, there's no harm. if you reject them, you still have to try for the next cycle of UCAS anyway.

so you sent the email a week ago? just before the admissions/UCAS closing period. i doubt they would have been very free to answer to your email as well. dont worry so much, just wait till the deadline UCAS gave for you to answer to your offers.
tanglewire
yes i do mean first year and second year entry. university of manchester aren't on the top on the list but it definitely has become my top choice after a brief interview session i had with their admission officer a few months back.

i've already sent an email but hasn't had any reply for a week. i really doubt things are so inefficient as it seems. should i let the waiting continue ?

warwick's admission office is closed from 24th dec to 3rd jan. think manchester also having a festive break?
Reply 1782
tanglewire
good day people. i've got my unconditional acceptance to uni of manchester but the level of entry is 1 instead of the 2 i applied. is there anyway to appeal this?

i'm applying for 2011 so would it be advisable to take the risk and reject this offer and wait for the next application and try again ?

First off, congratulations on the unconditional offer!

Regarding your particular situation, which course are you applying for and do they allow direct entry to the second year? If they do, then it probably means they don't think your existing qualifications are sufficient for second year entry. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that you could perhaps write to them with your academic transcripts that show the modules you've taken (and with a letter from your tutor explaining briefly the modules and their content) and explain their relevance to the course you intend to read at the university?

If they don't budge on the year of entry after all that correspondence then it's likely that you'll be given the same year of entry should you reapply in the next application cycle - unless you've done more work in the meantime which they can consider.

So in sum I'd say contact them to have them explain their position and see if you can talk them round first. Good luck!
Reply 1783
BEST WISHES FOR THE YEAR PEOPLE.

Does anyone know if UCAS does clearing for International students applying for Meds ?
Thanks
so where are you guys headed? i got rejected by cambridge so it looks like i'll be heading to LSE to do government and econs.
Reply 1785
I'd love to go to Cambridge or anywhere in the UK, really, but there's the money issue :frown:
meakame
I'd love to go to Cambridge or anywhere in the UK, really, but there's the money issue :frown:

Are you holding offers already or applying this cycle?
Reply 1787
melsonchun
Are you holding offers already or applying this cycle?

I'm holding offers, but Cambridge costs 27000 pounds a year at least... :s-smilie: No way my parents can afford that.
Reply 1788
meakame

those are some impressive unconditional offers you hold... no chance at all with the financial issue? scholarships and all?
Reply 1789
gi.
those are some impressive unconditional offers you hold... no chance at all with the financial issue? scholarships and all?

Trying for scholarships but they're even harder to get than uni places... and I won't know til April or May! Guess I'm just impatient. Ah well. This is the first time I've wished to strike lottery so badly, not that I even buy it. Haha.
Reply 1790
meakame
Trying for scholarships but they're even harder to get than uni places... and I won't know til April or May! Guess I'm just impatient. Ah well. This is the first time I've wished to strike lottery so badly, not that I even buy it. Haha.

thats very true. scholarship places are notoriously hard to get. all the best with it then! if you can get unconditional from imperial and cambridge with mid year results, i reckon you would be competitive enough in the scholarship field.
Reply 1791
gi.
thats very true. scholarship places are notoriously hard to get. all the best with it then! if you can get unconditional from imperial and cambridge with mid year results, i reckon you would be competitive enough in the scholarship field.

Yeah but competitive enough =/= get a scholarship. I know I'm being very pessimistic, but the fact is that getting into a UK uni is really all about your acads, whereas getting a scholarship is all about everything else on top of your acads.

What about you? Congrats for Law!
Reply 1792
meakame
Yeah but competitive enough =/= get a scholarship. I know I'm being very pessimistic, but the fact is that getting into a UK uni is really all about your acads, whereas getting a scholarship is all about everything else on top of your acads.

lucky enough to go on parents' finances. my dad told me not to apply for scholarships cause of the bond, as i dont intend to return to singapore. although, its not like i can get a scholarship either.. pffft.
meakame
I'm holding offers, but Cambridge costs 27000 pounds a year at least... :s-smilie: No way my parents can afford that.

It is the extra college fee that causes the total cost to balloon.
meakame

I am really very curious about how you have not received your final results yet but are holding unconditional offers.

nonetheless, congratulations! Those are one heck of a awesome number of offers.:yep:
well if the schools really like you, its normal for them to give unconditional offers even though you haven't received your results.

on the other hand, i have my A level results already but got conditional offers from LSE and warwick. but the condition was just to pass TOEFL or IELTS or to show them my O level english qualifications, so i guess that's more to do with my english proficiency only.

chronicles
I am really very curious about how you have not received your final results yet but are holding unconditional offers.

nonetheless, congratulations! Those are one heck of a awesome number of offers.:yep:
Reply 1796
meakame

Congrats on yr offers! R u interested in research? If u r, u can try the ASTAR scholarship. U stand a good chance, given that u've already gotten an offer fm cambridge :smile: In fact, I think u stand a good chance for alot of scholarships with a cambridge offer
Reply 1797
chronicles

Thanks! Here's my theory: I'm from NUS High School. Our diploma uses the same cumulative average point (CAP) system as NUS (GPA on a 5.0 scale, basically). So when I submitted my results in September, they were my current CAPs over the past 3.5 years for each subject, plus the overall CAP. I think that's the reason for the UCs.

Though it's strange and unexpected because the previous batch got conditionals from Cambridge, specifying a bunch of overall and subject CAPs.

booyakasha
well if the schools really like you, its normal for them to give unconditional offers even though you haven't received your results.

on the other hand, i have my A level results already but got conditional offers from LSE and warwick. but the condition was just to pass TOEFL or IELTS or to show them my O level english qualifications, so i guess that's more to do with my english proficiency only.

I thought as long as you were from an English-medium school in a country where English is an official language, you're exempted..? Guess they're more stringent then...

terence
Congrats on yr offers! R u interested in research? If u r, u can try the ASTAR scholarship. U stand a good chance, given that u've already gotten an offer fm cambridge :smile: In fact, I think u stand a good chance for alot of scholarships with a cambridge offer

Thanks! I'm interested in research but not to the extent where I'd devote at least 13 years of my life to it. Plus, research as a career is... problematic, to say the least. Thanks for the support.

gi.
lucky enough to go on parents' finances. my dad told me not to apply for scholarships cause of the bond, as i dont intend to return to singapore. although, its not like i can get a scholarship either.. pffft.

*envious* I try to think of the bond as a good career start plus a guaranteed job. Of course there's the issue of 'what if you end up hating it even if you thought it would fit at first' - well, if that happens, just gotta live with it I guess. :mute:
Reply 1798
meakame
*envious* I try to think of the bond as a good career start plus a guaranteed job. Of course there's the issue of 'what if you end up hating it even if you thought it would fit at first' - well, if that happens, just gotta live with it I guess. :mute:

yeah agreed on that point, it has the security of not having to be unemployed after graduation... well all the best in securing the finances for your uk education. hope you at least get a source from somewhere..
booyakasha

Not a hope at doing away with the IELTS altogether? Well, warwick refuses to remove that condition for me too.

Quick Reply

Latest