The Student Room Group

Foundation Degree or Higher Degree?

I am at the point where my head is about to blow!

I am nearly finishing my computing course in college and i need to fill an application for UCAS for HE asap.

I am stressing and don't know what to pick. Its either between foundation (plus top-up) or higher degree.

Can someone please take their precious time to elaborate and clarify what the pro's and con's are for both.

It would be even better if someone is in the state of doing a degree of these types or has either completed these.

I will be doing something to do with networking.

If you need any more info please do ask as i don't know anything else to write,, seen as though my head is about to explode (seriously) :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Bump? :'(

Reply 2
Okay, this really comes down to you and what your aspirations are.

Some people can have a bit of stigma when they hear you're doing a foundation year so if you can bear that
then you'll be fine. Okay, so a foundation year is traditionally for people who mess up their a levels or did badly.
Obviously it's an extra year, and for "some people" that is really off putting. Personally, i don't think being 22 at the age of
graduation is a big deal.

can i ask what subject you're applying for? networking you said?
Reply 3
You havnt said what level the college course is or what you expected/hopeful result is. Therefore I dont know how borderline (or not) you are for entry to a full degree.

If your predictions do meet the admissions requirement for the full degree/are very close to it, go for it. It will save you time and money, and be an enormous bonus to your self-confidence - 'Hey I *can* study at this level!'.

If you simply arent sure at this stage if you will meet that requirement or not, then there is no harm applying for places on both a Foundation degree *and* a full degree. If you have the ability to do a full degree, you might find the Foundation degree boring/repetitive and loose interest. On the other hand, the increased demands of a full degree course could be just the step-up you really need.
Original post by Mrozzy123
I am at the point where my head is about to blow!

I am nearly finishing my computing course in college and i need to fill an application for UCAS for HE asap.

I am stressing and don't know what to pick. Its either between foundation (plus top-up) or higher degree.

Can someone please take their precious time to elaborate and clarify what the pro's and con's are for both.

It would be even better if someone is in the state of doing a degree of these types or has either completed these.

I will be doing something to do with networking.

If you need any more info please do ask as i don't know anything else to write,, seen as though my head is about to explode (seriously) :frown:

Hi there,

The main reason for study the foundation course is for people who haven't quite made the enrtry requirements to the B.Sc, BA etc.

Studying on a foundation course you will generally be given more support from the university.

When you complete the foundation course and depending on the results you achieve means you have a few options. You can finish studing and start working or you can advance onto a top-up course to gain a degree.

If you meet the entry requirements for the full degree and have the ability and determination to achive this goal, then this could be the better option for you.

I hope this helps

Do Great Things - University of Bolton
Reply 5
Thank you all, i am currently studying BTEC lv3 Extended diploma in IT in my first year i got all distinctions,, for this year i am hoping to get the same (in total d*d*d*)

Reply 6
I want to do the foundation degree as it is a bit cheaper and at the end of the foundation degree i would like to do a top-up. Once the top-up is complete will i have the same chances of a job as a foundation student or higher student (are they both equal in terms of how employers see it) ?
Thanks

Original post by Mrozzy123
I want to do the foundation degree as it is a bit cheaper and at the end of the foundation degree i would like to do a top-up. Once the top-up is complete will i have the same chances of a job as a foundation student or higher student (are they both equal in terms of how employers see it) ?
Thanks

If the course offers both modes of study (e.g. Networking- B.Sc 3year or foundation degree 2year + top-up year) the qualifications are equal B.Sc degrees.

However, your employability will depend on what results you have achieve.
e.g.
student X studied 3 year degree and achieved 2:2 whereas student Y studied foundation 2year + top-up year and achieved a 2:1

Student Y has the higher result, thus has the better qualification.

Do Great Things - University of Bolton
Reply 8
Thanks i now understand,, just to clarify, they both are same right?

Reply 9
Bump?

Reply 10
Bump

Reply 11
Bump

Reply 12
No.

A Foundation degree is a pre-degree year. It is therefore study at sub-degree level.

A 3 year degree is a conventional undergraduate degree.
Reply 13
Ok i have decided that i want to do a HE degree at uni rather than the foundation, but i'm still confused., i don't even know the steps of it and everything.. Th only thing i know is that my teacher told me to sign up for UCAS (which i have done) and then fill everything out.. I don't know what will happen after this for e.g. After i have got a place at uni (probably huddersfield [something to do with networking]) do i need to open an account to get a loan then get a grant etc.. Can someone pleasse pleasee tell me the full steps as i am a total noob,, if you need any info, i can give.. I was going to go for foundation but then realises that it only requires 160 UCAS points but i'm predicted 400+ so i thought higher would be better...

Please help.. Thanks

Reply 14
Start with this page : http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/wheretostart/heexplained/

Then, on the left hand side there is a menu with other relevant topics including 'Finance". This will give you the links to other relevant websites.

Are you still at school or college? Go and see your Careers teacher/advisor. They will be able to guide you through all of this.
Reply 15
Original post by cjc3676
Start with this page : http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/wheretostart/heexplained/

Then, on the left hand side there is a menu with other relevant topics including 'Finance". This will give you the links to other relevant websites.

Are you still at school or college? Go and see your Careers teacher/advisor. They will be able to guide you through all of this.

Thanks i will have a look at the site. also i am still at college and thanks i will do :smile:

If you were willing to do an extra year at the beginning of your degree, then Manchester might be an option for you. Yes, it's an extra year, but it will get you into a better uni than Huddersfield.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2013/courseswithafoundationyear/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending