The Student Room Group

UCAS says i have an "ordinary degree" offer

I picked computer science with an integrated foundation year as my university course, they require an ABB for my grades. I assume that I can get an honours degree at the end of the *4* years, because on UCAS it states "Ordinary degree" on my offer, does that mean I cannot get an honours afterwards?
Which university has made you this offer?

Have you spoken to them about it?
Reply 2
University of manchester
Reply 3
Original post by PQ

No
Reply 4
Original post by PQ

Nope
Original post by Emmet_v15
Nope

Then pick up the phone
"ordinary degree" is odd wording for a non Scottish university to use in an offer.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Then pick up the phone
"ordinary degree" is odd wording for a non Scottish university to use in an offer.

Hmm, i mean it is an integrated foundation course, the first year gives me an ordinary degree, and the rest works up to honours? But i'll give them a call
(edited 11 months ago)
Give them a ring an ordinary degree is usually offered if you don’t get enough cat point’s for an honours degree.
Reply 8
Original post by jonathanemptage
Give them a ring an ordinary degree is usually offered if you don’t get enough cat point’s for an honours degree.

Cats points?
I haven't sat my a levels yet if you mean tarrif points
Reply 9
Cats points?

My predicted is 128, and they require 128 for an integrated foundation course
Cats points?

No CATS points are what the university uses to decide what to award you each unit you compleate will carry a number of points (15 if it’s a half semester unit 30 if it a full academic year) it stands for "Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme” you generally need 360 for a honours degree if a student fails to meet that through failing units usually but still gets 300 points+ then they can be awarded an ordinary or unverified degree (a degree with out honours) anything less than 300 is essentially a fail and they can’t attend graduation they may be awarded a Certificate of Higher Education (120 points) or a Diploma of Higher Education (240 credits) these don’t affect your award level like 2:1 or 2:2 that will rely on how well you do in each unit usually:

3rd = 40%
2:2 = 50% (most people get this)
2:1 = 60% (most people want this)
1st = 70% (th cream of the crop get this)

Does that explain it don’t worry if you don’t get it it will all become clear at university. But still give them a call it a bit unusual just offering an ordinary degree instead of an honours degree.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jonathanemptage
No CATS points are what the university uses to decide what to award you each unit you compleate will carry a number of points (15 if it’s a half semester unit 30 if it a full academic year) it stands for "Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme” you generally need 360 for a honours degree if a student fails to meet that through failing units usually but still gets 300 points+ then they can be awarded an ordinary or unverified degree (a degree with out honours) anything less than 300 is essentially a fail and they can’t attend graduation they may be awarded a Certificate of Higher Education (120 points) or a Diploma of Higher Education (240 credits) these don’t affect your award level like 2:1 or 2:2 that will rely on how well you do in each unit usually:

3rd = 40%
2:2 = 50% (most people get this)
2:1 = 60% (most people want this)
1st = 70% (th cream of the crop get this)

Does that explain it don’t worry if you don’t get it it will all become clear at university. But still give them a call it a bit unusual just offering an ordinary degree instead of an honours degree.

I'm not in uni yet, thank you for the specifics though
(edited 11 months ago)
Hmm, i mean it is an integrated foundation course, the first year gives me an ordinary degree, and the rest works up to honours? But i'll give them a call

An ordinary degree is 300 credits - 2 and a half years of a 3 year degree.

That's not how foundation year courses work, or ordinary degrees. As noted by PQ, an ordinary degree is effectively "almost but not quite the full honours degree". From what I've seen, usually awarded to those who narrowly fail part of third year or compulsory modules in third year that can't be condoned (often the dissertation for example). It's also as noted, very uncommon to be made an offer for an ordinary degree at English universities, where nowadays it almost exclusively exists as an alternate exit award for those who failed to achieve the requirements for the honours degree.

Definitely would recommend you contact them and query this and ask why you weren't made an offer for the honours degree.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by artful_lounger
That's not how foundation year courses work, or ordinary degrees. As noted by PQ, an ordinary degree is effectively "almost but not quite the full honours degree". From what I've seen, usually awarded to those who narrowly fail part of third year or compulsory modules in third year that can't be condoned (often the dissertation for example). It's also as noted, very uncommon to be made an offer for an ordinary degree at English universities, where nowadays it almost exclusively exists as an alternate exit award for those who failed to achieve the requirements for the honours degree.

Definitely would recommend you contact them and query this and ask why you weren't made an offer for the honours degree.

I see, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending