The Student Room Group
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton

Is Bolton university any good?

Scroll to see replies

In an earlier post the University used an out of date newspaper article
"In 2013 the University of Bolton was named one of the safest campuses in the region...."
and rightly caused a stack of debate.

The same newspaper today publishes an article with bang up to date stats

robberies dropped by 20 per cent
burglaries of all kinds dropped by six per cent
drugs offences 21 per cent reduction

So far so good.
then

VIOLENT crime in Bolton has risen by 46 per cent in the last 12 months, year ending March, 2015.
Sexual offences rose by 59 per cent.
Crime overall in the town is up eight per cent on last year it's three per cent nationally.

full article here
bit.ly/1MgJXHH
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton
Reply 41
Hi,
I have recently been offered a place at Bolton University in illustration and Animation. It was a second choice of mine, I was rejected from MMU for the same course.
I am 21 and feel like if I don't accept the offer for this Uni I'll be too old and wont be able to pay for fee's using student finance.

After reading through these comments I feel really discouraged and I am unsure whether this is the right place for me...
I also read from one student that they (staff in Animation n illustration) didn't teach very much and most of it was self directed... that's fine and all but I am expecting to learn to make progress with what I like to do.

Thanks.
Original post by Kakrn
Hi,
I have recently been offered a place at Bolton University in illustration and Animation. It was a second choice of mine, I was rejected from MMU for the same course.
I am 21 and feel like if I don't accept the offer for this Uni I'll be too old and wont be able to pay for fee's using student finance.

After reading through these comments I feel really discouraged and I am unsure whether this is the right place for me...
I also read from one student that they (staff in Animation n illustration) didn't teach very much and most of it was self directed... that's fine and all but I am expecting to learn to make progress with what I like to do.

Thanks.

You can still get student finance when you are older, I'm studying at Bolton and I'm one of 4 mature students on my course, I'm 26 the oldest is in his 30's.

Then again I did end up at Bolton, so take from that what you will.

Having said that I don't really have a problem with Bolton, a couple of tutor **** ups but they were sorted out eventually, not sure what your course is like.

Essentially when it comes to student finance your age doesn't matter if you haven't already studied at that level.
Reply 43
My son has been offered a place at Bolton to do Mechanical Engineering with Foundation. Any opinions? Positive views most welcome.
Original post by werdneka
My son has been offered a place at Bolton to do Mechanical Engineering with Foundation. Any opinions? Positive views most welcome.

Hi there

I'm a Rep for the University of Bolton, but I genuinely think your son will benefit greatly from studying here.

I recently chatted with some of this year's graduates from the Mechanical Engineering degree, and they were all very positive about the course and the department. They were impressed with how friendly and helpful staff are and they were really enthusiastic about the practical tasks that they were set as part of their coursework and about the strong links with industry. The Engineering school as a whole was judged as demonstrating world-leading research in the most recent Research Excellence Framework and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Bolton has also recently received accreditation by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), which shows how well thought of the department's courses are. Have a look at this story with quotes from the students: http://www.bolton.ac.uk/MediaCentre/Articles/2015/July2015-15.aspx

Hope this helps! Best wishes, Clare
I accompanied a prospective student to an open day earlier in the year at the request of their parents who had business commitments.

The campus appears to be very well maintained and all credit to them, almost unrecognisable from my recollections when visiting Bolton some years ago.

I work with an engineering organisation and I ask around if people had any experience of studying there. Surprising (for me) several people responded with high regards for the education (electronics and mechanical engineering) they received while attended the then known Bolton Institute of Technology (BIT). This of course is some years ago (1990's) when BIT became Bolton Institute of Higher Education before finally today known as University of Bolton.

I mention this history as the name changes seem to mark the amalgamations of less technical subject areas leading to a decline in electronics and engineering. I work in a modern technical environment and it was apparent that the university had not keep pace.

What concerned me also, was the relatively low admissions bar, engineering is a discipline that requires a good grounding in maths and sciences in general. Study groups with a potentially diverse ability can adversely effect the pace and depth of study, a well versed and progressive group of students is important to advance the course content.

Not to be too negative, I did see that the university is making an effort to reverse these trends, especially with automotive, but again I saw no evidence of electric vehicles, so some way to go.

The prospective student I accompanied has received results that exceed their pessimistic outlook and offered a place by their university of choice. I write this response to some extent to balance the comments here by the university marketing and some insight from my research.

#ILookLikeAnEngineer
Reply 46
Original post by Djw91
I'm starting at the uni in September and have lived in Bolton for 4 years, the uni itself is small and not the best but a first at Bolton is the same as a first in any other uni, it depends in how well you study. The Bolton area isn't too bad, it depends where you live. I live in Heaton/dean behind queens park in a private residents and its lovely and picturesque. Never had any problems with anyone. There are a lot of shops closing down and so on but Manchester is 20 mins away by train (I commute to work every day) and very accessible via bus also. Nights out are probably best in Manchester but there are a few decent pubs about in town! Look forward to meeting new people!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, a first at Bolton.... or Central Lancs, John Moore's, Derby etc etc is NOT the same as a First from, say, Durham, Cambridge or Imperial. To believe so is simply delusional.

But if you are happy with delusions, carry on
Original post by RunaNebbles
Hey, Second year here, Studying SFX for film and television.

Just saying that I had a great first year, I stayed in Orlando (was not too shabby but the noise can be disruptive; earplugs or play some music)
Kitchens are small, the fridges/freezers were also small, make a plan with your flatmates about food.
You might get one cupboard each, I recommend keeping non-perishables in that, keep fresh food in fridge or freezer. I found two slices of bread uneaten and going mouldy in mine. Tinned food is your best friend. Although the hobs are a little fussy and take a while to warm up. My flat had a portable oven cooker in the kitchen (I believe bottom flats get this.) it is small but we still managed to cook cakes and a roast in it. Oh Decorate your rooms, yes cover up that boring brown board on the wall with something like wrapping paper, or find the biggest poster you can and splat it on. Your here for almost a year, change your room around, I moved the bed to the radiator (warmer) and it gives you more floor space for sleepovers/floordrobe. Orlando does have a small garage shop close by, sometimes it sells bread, (crap load of sweets) and quite nice people work there. Whilst here I did not hear about any break-ins, other than the one at the very end when I had left to start my holiday, (some idiot used a bin to keep the main block door open) I did not hear about anything stolen though, seemed they hit a vacant flat.

Ladies, there is an Ann Summers store here.

Nightlife is alright, there are a few clubs, I suggest grouping up before hitting the town at night. Ladies do not go out on your own at night! Try and stay with people you know, the town changes at night, guys drive around in vehicles trying to pick girls up, but if you do find yourself alone, go stand outside a club where there are bouncers, and call a cab home. But I'm a pub person (plenty of pubs), I like to play card games with fellow students and mess around with the Xbox in the SU... If it’s still there, If not I'll offer up my Xbox/games again.

Gym membership could seem expensive, but go for it, when your stressed it’s the best feeling in the world to unwind by taking a dip in the pool.

There are not many clubs, but I'm an airsofter and so are a few lecturers, ask around and you could help make up an airsoft team. There is a woodlands site nearby.
No guns are allowed in Orlando and on campus... Unless your SFX and you made the damn thing. Ask permission first I guess...
There is a TA just down the road from Orlando. So if a Zombie Apocalypse occurs... you’re safer than Hollins.

I really disliked staying at Hollins, the bathrooms are rather shabby but enclosed, rather than the gym style bathrooms in Orlando. Also the ovens were a little slow to work. Big fridges and freezers - good to keep the beer and cider cold (I'm from Somerset, Cider is nice.) Crap long way to walk in the morning, I had to walk miles to get to college once, I decided to go closer to uni and the shops.
If anyone needs any help, I will be arriving on Saturday.

I do not regret going to Bolton, I have been very homesick at times and I live about 4-6 hours away by car (depending on traffic) and it’s a similar time by train.
But it was an experience I would never change (apart from catching fresher flu...)

"Ladies, there is an Ann Summer's here."
Brilliant! What better advertisement can you have for a university.

You can get shafted and exploited at the same time, and, in silk crotchless panties. It makes £27,000 debt all worthwhile.
Honest opinion?

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Why? A number of reasons. I write this having detailed knowledge of the place for over a decade.

1. Bolton itself is rather like a down-market version of Mogadishu except with rain and a greater chance of contracting clamidia.

2. George Holmes, the V-C, is a national joke. Just Google him and find out why.

3. They had good - great - teaching staff. Sadly, they knew what standards were. As a consequence most were purged: some retired. What you are left with is a sad gang of young intellectual munchkins who are desperate to leave.

4. Oh just go to the Chancellor's Mall in Week One. A more pitiful display of student apathy you will never meet the World over.

5. Do not live in student accommodation. It has a slightly tendency to catch fire and incinerate you. But all is well, for the V-C will deny, post your burning, that it was not student accommodation in the first place, so you only have yourself to blame.
Oh dear!

I think that all of the above correspondence are forgetting the proud motto of the University of Bolton. A motto which adds glister to its illustrious record of achieving high status employment for its graduates.

What is that proud motto, you may ask? I give the England translation: "Would you like fries with that?"
I'll play
"sapientia superat moras" is the University of Bolton's real motto. Created recently btw, that institution doesn't have a history, beyond the institute of HE it once was - regardless of what they say in faux histories.
sapientia superat moras - wisdom overcomes difficulty. well clearly there's very little wisdom there anyway.
To make it any good?
removal of George Holmes would be a start but it's pretty much too late, the University's bad reputation is sealed by now. It has affected the town of Bolton as well.
Yep, avoid.
I wish I'd read some of these comments before making the error of starting a MSc there. It's a miserable experience studying here. Everything is online (you can't speak to a human, and you need to register all your details just to ask a question), there is no other support at all. If struggling with broken Bolton IT systems (and being required to access information that Bolton have prevented you from viewing) is your bag, then Bolton Uni is for you! Knowing when and where your class is should not be a guarded secret, yet 12 (twelve) requests to personal tutors and course leaders failed to get a result, so I have missed teaching that I have paid for, purely because Bolton have IT and organisational issues. The academic staff there appear not to care much about students, but close ranks quickly when questioned. My course was not as sold. Good luck!
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by _PJ_
Absolute lies. You're like a poor-quality college and you still owe me my qualification that I worked extremely hard for but that you are withholding due to disability discrimination and retaliation - and this is AFTER you libelled me after I complained about unprofessional staff, one of whom tried to intimidate me.

Unlike your Facebook site, you can't ban me from here for telling the truth about your so-called "university". You even ILLEGALLY replaced a really good students' union president with a member of staff one year so that students couldn't get adequate representation.

As a current student, I don't find it hard to believe your story.
Hello, everyone.

I agree with everyone in this forum; Bolton is mediocre and as one participant compared it to a college is very truthful. I am in the law department, too. Oh, were did all the good lecturers go?! Currently chasing work from last year as the department quite clearly is effective in managing their time. The department is unsupportive to students and if they are, the department is biased. If I had my choice again, I would not have gone to Bolton. Quite simply, this is my message to any student considering the law department, consider another university. Most of the people I started with at Bolton went to other universities for their second and onward years. Unfortunately, I believed the naivety that the department was going to expand and opportunities would arise. Left with a degree that is practically useless as I cannot obtain work in other industries as I am overqualified and I feel like people in my industry consider Bolton to be the 'Sunday league' of law schools.

Department staff are not helpful, the books in the library are practically ancient, and you will be being taught by persons who have minimal practising time in law opposed to other university's lecturers. Also, if you have to do any group tasks, half of the students cannot be bothered and those who I have witnessed do not take university seriously. I was once sat in a lecture with only myself and the lecturer; and even he said call it a day. Looks bad when the staff give up! For anyone wanting a university experience that is decent and career opportunities, study elsewhere!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending