The Student Room Group

The education system within UK

I've learnt education and research method from Sociology lesson and the statistic shows that boys, especially working class are underachieving in education. This means they are more likely, compared to other social class having education failure.

However, statistics can not show the causes and effects. While I am revising for the examination and my academic studies, there is one question comes to my mind: How do we improve the education system in order to support working class families to do well in education and gain higher achievement in their academic studies?

So does anyone has any ideas??

Scroll to see replies

Follow the example of Scandinavia.
One of the main reasons I found that pupils from poorer backgrounds didn't do as well at school was because they didn't have supportive parents at home who could encourage and push them to do well. Whereas my parents were always very supportive of my education and could help a bit with some of my subjects.

Also, a lot of working class pupils were facing pressure from their parents to leave school as early as possible to enter the workforce, even if it meant stacking shelves in Tesco. :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I'd suggest using a voucher program where the schools are privately run and each child is allocated a certain amount of money (equal to the amount spent per pupil in government schools today). This would result in competition for students between schools, as well as private investment in successful schools, and would improve outcomes.
Original post by Smack
One of the main reasons I found that pupils from poorer backgrounds didn't do as well at school was because they didn't have supportive parents at home who could encourage and push them to do well. Whereas my parents were always very supportive of my education and could help a bit with some of my subjects.

Also, a lot of working class pupils were facing pressure from their parents to leave school as early as possible to enter the workforce, even if it meant stacking shelves in Tesco. :s-smilie:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. A lot of families tent to be broken families, where they suffer from a lot of Psychological problems which tents to affect their abilities and general life. Having parent(s) that aren't supportive of anything you do can be a real blow to their children, which is shocking really.

I myself come from a working class family, where I only live with my mother and brothers. I've still, luckily, managed to do fairly well. I've finished College, passed my A-levels, currently working as an Apprentice in Business/Accountancy for a year (finishing soon), going to University in September 2013. Hoping to achieve a Masters afterwards, too. This is due to the fact that my mother is very supportive of me, though - if she wasn't supportive, and was a typical drunken parent who didn't care, then I'd have truly failed - it would have made things 10 times worse and harder.
Reply 5
Original post by Pika-Profiterole
I've learnt education and research method from Sociology lesson and the statistic shows that boys, especially working class are underachieving in education. This means they are more likely, compared to other social class having education failure.

However, statistics can not show the causes and effects. While I am revising for the examination and my academic studies, there is one question comes to my mind: How do we improve the education system in order to support working class families to do well in education and gain higher achievement in their academic studies?

So does anyone has any ideas??

Simple, change the education system.

Lower secondary education leaving age to 15 and after that give people four years free to study GCSE and A levels. These can be taken as credits to be used at any point in your life, so people have the chance to return to education if they decide to leave education at 15. That way they can come back when they feel they are more academically mature and have a chance to succeed.
Reply 6
First we should improved our education system. we should look lower society they should not effort education expenses. we should provide free education to play group to minimum 5th class. then we can improved education system.
Parents need to have aspirations for their children as well as children having aspirations for themselves. The lack of such is a cause for concern and the reason many children don't succeed at school.

This was posted from The Student Roo
Reply 8
I don't think its a failure of the education system. I think its a failure of both the education system to adapt to changes in the work place and the working class themselves to adapt to changes in work.

Up until the mid 1980s, getting good grades at school for most working class students was not a priority since the types of work they would be doing when they leave school did not need good grades. Similarly, the education system provided them with the skills they needed such as numeracy, literacy and some vocational training for work.

Now, most jobs need at least C grades GCSEs in English and maths, even low level semi skilled work. Most students are not capable of getting these grades so schools look like they are failing when they are really reaching a natural barrier defined by the capability of the students rather than the quality of the teaching.
Original post by Smack

From experience, no.

I did much better than my friends who have supportive parents, and my parents are kept completely out of my education to the extent they probably don't even know what A Levels I do.
Original post by Miracle Day
From experience, no.

I did much better than my friends who have supportive parents, and my parents are kept completely out of my education to the extent they probably don't even know what A Levels I do.

The exception does not disprove the rule.
Original post by Smack
The exception does not disprove the rule.

A reason 'you found' also does not prove the rule.
A reason 'you found' also does not prove the rule.

So are you trying to say that having supportive parents has no effect on the outcome of one's education?
Original post by Smack
So are you trying to say that having supportive parents has no effect on the outcome of one's education?

One's determination and one's education standard determines the outcome.
Original post by Smack

They may have an effect but it is by no means definitive. A person can be very successful even with the least supportive parents.

One's determination and one's education standard determines the outcome.

And one's education standard is heavily affected by their social background.

Original post by myblueheaven339
They may have an effect but it is by no means definitive. A person can be very successful even with the least supportive parents.

No-one said otherwise.
Original post by Smack

No-one said otherwise.

Take your reply to myblueheaven339 as my reply to your post. You argued that support from a parent influences your education which has nothing to do with what social backgroud you're from.
Original post by Smack

No-one said otherwise.

I didn't say that they did. I was simply expressing my opinion in response to your post.

Why is it that on this forum you can't say anything without someone else saying "no one said...?" People can have an option without it being an accusation.

Reply 18
It is not related to money but about parental encouragement and fostering a stimulating learning-friendly home environment from the earliest years. Parents making time to engage nurturingly with the forming inquisitive mind of their young one. Fostering a belief that it is best to stay at school and educate oneself fully, to have a more fulfilling and rewarding life.
Take your reply to myblueheaven339 as my reply to your post. You argued that support from a parent influences your education which has nothing to do with what social backgroud you're from.

Eh, having parents that can provide support to your education is quite strongly correlated to being from a more middle class background as these parents are more likely to have completed at least a full school leaver's education themselves, as opposed to leaving at an earlier opportunity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending