The Student Room Group

Working abroad with PGDL/SQE

I want to do law as a career. If i want to work abroad, eg commonwealth countries and EU countries, can I qualify to work there with a conversion course or do I need to get a senior status/accelerated law undergrad degree? I’m aware most countries require their own special measures before qualifying for the bar because of their specific legal systems, but can you even get your foot in the door with a conversion course or do you need that second degree?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by pmcl34n
So i’m studying history in my second year of undergrad at Durham, and I want to do law as a career. If i want to work abroad, eg commonwealth countries and EU countries, can I qualify to work there with a conversion course or do I need to get a senior status/accelerated law undergrad degree? I’m aware most countries require their own special measures before qualifying for the bar because of their specific legal systems, but can you even get your foot in the door with a conversion course or do you need that second degree?

Hi @pmcl34n

Unfortunately, there is no straight answer to this question and it really depends on the country. Usually, a law conversion course would help in some regard but would probably not prevent you from having to also complete their education requirements as the law conversion is used to get a foundation in the key areas of UK law and if the jurisdiction is different, this often isn't that transferrable. If you decided to study all the way until qualifying as a barrister through the BPC, then you would likely have to do less training when transitioning abroad, however, there would still be certain conditions then. I would recommend researching independent countries as they usually list their requirements and which countries they accept lawyers from within their system.

I hope this helps a bit and good luck! :smile:

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending