The Student Room Group

What do you think to this?

Whilst doing my regular check of political party websites I found this -

The article was on The BNP website and contains a fair amount of venom but...

Assuming this is true how do you feel about contracts being awarded based on the "diversity" of the firm in question? (read and then scroll to the bottom)

I would like to point out that I am not endorsing the views of the BNP or any political party.

--------------------------------------------------------

The mayor of London has threatened to end contracts with suppliers who fail to commit themselves to a “diverse” workforce. In an extraordinary move which could lead to collapse of dozens of small businesses the London Development Agency (LDA) which is the mayor’s agency for business and jobs has written to its existing suppliers, including small- and medium-sized businesses, asking them to fill in a questionnaire designed to “assist in developing enterprises”.

Questions include the percentage of staff and company owners who are from black, Asian or minority ethnic (BME) groups and the percentage of disabled employees, as well as the number of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender staff.

The survey also asks when existing contracts will come to an end and how much they are worth.

Blackmail

This is a deliberate move by the office of Ken Livingston to force his flawed political ideas on the capital ensuring that only those companies that meet specific “diversity” criteria are successfully awarded public tenders, effectively nothing less than political blackmail “toe a politically correct line or else”.

With much needed improvements to the transport system, affordable housing, water and sewerage infrastructure projects plus the Olympic games due to be held in the capital in 2012, there is a huge pot of money for public contracts worth several billions of pounds.

A spokeswoman for the LDA said this questionnaire was one way “…..to ensure both smaller and more diverse suppliers have the chance to become part of the supplier base.”

“Strength in diversity”

Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, has said that he believes “London’s diversity is its greatest strength”, which is an empty Orwellian slogan. Modern London is, for many people who have to live and work there, a filthy, crumbling, overcrowded anthill and many white Londoners are fleeing the city to the Home Counties and further afield to escape the dubious benefits of “diversity”. In March, when he announced the first firms to sign up to a £10m programme to improve workplace diversity, he said: “I want to ensure London businesses really harness and make the most of the opportunities that diversity in the workplace can deliver.”

Last year, the LDA recruited a business diversity manager who needed to demonstrate “a track record of demonstrable success in BME, women and disabled business development”.

The LDA move is part of a wider insidious national government drive to increase gender and ethnic diversity among its suppliers.

Common sense

Diversity amongst the workforce must be the least important parameter for awarding a public contract. Ability to provide the product or service, value for money, reliability, financial integrity and solvency are all important factors. The number of one legged Jamaican lesbians in the dispatch department is utterly irrelevant.

--------------------------------------------
Reply 1
I see no blackmail in what Ken is doing.

We live in a multicultural society, whether you like it or not, and as long as that is the case then 'Diversity' in the workforce has to be upheld.

Also it is illegal to refuse a job to somebody due to their ethnicity, therefore these companies should already have a mixed race workforce - hence nothing to worry about.
Reply 2
law:portal

We live in a multicultural society, whether you like it or not, and as long as that is the case then 'Diversity' in the workforce has to be upheld.

Also it is illegal to refuse a job to somebody due to their ethnicity, therefore these companies should already have a mixed race workforce - hence nothing to worry about.

What a crock of fallacious, simplistic bilge.
Reply 3
How so?

Don't make a statement without backing it up.
Reply 4
law:portal

I agree with Profesh - law:tongue:ortal your point doesn't really make sense.

The irony is that Ken wants to do exactly what you are saying he shouldn't. Refuse to award contracts to companies on the basis of ethnicity.

What about a company that employs 20 people but none of them are from an ethnic minority or disabled, do they need to sack half their workforce and replace them with ethnic and disabled workers?

I fail to see how the ethnic makeup of the workforce makes a company any more or less suitable.
Reply 5
Well to me the information in your first post shows how information can be taken out of context, also if that was written by the BNP (sorry I don't know their policies) then appears that they are quite racist.

However, if a company has only white people in it, and they are refused work because of it then that is unfair. I would like to see you provide a government link showing this is what they intend to do.
Reply 6
Multi-culturalism stinks
Reply 7
Higgy
Multi-culturalism stinks

So do you. OF JEW ASHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 8
It does buy me when anyone in favoured for anything because of race/sex/sexuality. I have a friend who is a senior HR chapy for the London Fire Brigade. He has told me in the past that they are desperate for applications from gay/black men and women. They had enough straight white men. The very act of trying to stop inequality is creating such systems! The world is an arse.
Reply 9
buy???...try bug.

Latest

Trending

Trending