The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
allymcb2
Then as I predicted you failed to disprove me logically and resorted to insults. I suppose next you will say 'its so obvious its not worth arguing about' or something equally drole.

Circular logistics do equal superiority. It's like calling a magician an amazing scientist. You make it very hard for even the most subjective persons to NOT see you as pompous. Thought, having been obviously raised in an environment that caters to self imagery and white collar, high class society, it's not hard to see why the "old money" shines through. Either that or blatant denial. Either way, you need a wake up call.
Reply 181
Don't get nasty.
This is pretty interesting, if you could all just stop making personal attacks on each other. :boxing:
So, no throttling, gouging, no hitting below the belt, no biting, scratching, crunching or sticking your tongue in anyone's ear just to confuse and distract them. I want a nice, clean debate and I really mean it about the tongue thing. :toung:
Reply 182
Laika
It could be argued that there are ideologies which follow a more logically sound principle than moral relativism, and thus are preferable even though they are not universal truth. It would not be blind faith to support such an ideology as there would be a strong philosophical argument for it.

And clearly there are such systems, as under moral relativism events like the holocaust would be justifiably morally sound.

You are contradicting yourself. You are accepting moral relativism as a universal truth in itself, when it is clearly just one concept of morality competing with other ideas such as utilitarianism etc.

No. I am not putting forth moral relativism as a universal truth. It is based on the assumption that universal truth does not exist. If universal truth existed there would be one single ideology. But without knowing what universal truth is (or if it exists) we cannot construct that ideology, so the idea that morality is not relative does not bring us to any conclusion, because we cannot work out what is the right one.

I think you will find that Hitler's ideology is logically inconsistent within itself. But that is by the by. Just because we both find the idea viscerally repulsive doesnt make it any more wrong than our own ideologies. I have assumed that universal truth does not exist, as I have yet to see any evidence that it does.
Reply 183
clyn
Don't get nasty.
This is pretty interesting, if you could all just stop making personal attacks on each other. :boxing:
So, no throttling, gouging, no hitting below the belt, no biting, scratching, crunching or sticking your tongue in anyone's ear just to confuse and distract them. I want a nice, clean debate and I really mean it about the tongue thing. :toung:

Well said
Unfortunately, it is inevitable in these things,(unless you are working exclusively with the intelligent, and that adjective applies to no-one thus far in the debate).
Reply 184
Rusty33
Circular logistics do equal superiority. It's like calling a magician an amazing scientist. You make it very hard for even the most subjective persons to NOT see you as pompous. Thought, having been obviously raised in an environment that caters to self imagery and white collar, high class society, it's not hard to see why the "old money" shines through. Either that or blatant denial. Either way, you need a wake up call.

Here we go again with the pathetic insults.....How dare you make judgements/predictions about my background! If I havent posted it, its none of your business.
Reply 185
Dr_SS_Lecter
That is truely disgusting? Your mother carried you to full term during pregnancy? All those sleepless nights when you were gestating when you were crying etc. Sacrificed alot in your upbringing? I would have paid for that aborption myself even though i am strictly against artifical aborption?

So say after 5 years at medical school i go abroad to a 3rd world country and work as an aid worker sacrificing my future career, so you have no respect as i am a charity worker? I am not from a wealthy family....no respect for me? How the hell did you get into Oxford, did you offer the interviewer some light oral relief! :rolleyes:

No, that is not truely disgusting. My mother did the same for me as a dog does for its own offspring. She followed her instincts. I dont care how much money anyone's family has I care how intelligent THEY are. The last statement is quite disgusting. No Oxford don would accept such a bribe. And I would rather take the death penalty than do that for ANYTHING.
Reply 186
cottonmouth
Your arrogance is astounding, disgusting, and does nothing to dispell any myths about Oxbridge snobbery. This comment pretty much proves Laikas point about how shallow you are. You have a brain, great. Using it in a non-academic way might be something you'd like to try, Ally McBeal. What a stupid username!

Your attempts at insulting fall far short of their mark sir. I have no interest in what you think of Oxbridge, or me, in fact. Nor is it my aim to 'dispell any myths'. I dont see anything wrong with snobbery. Using my brain in a non-academic way is not something I am interested in. And by the way, its called irony. You might want to look that up in the dictionary sometime.
In response to the original post. I have a weekend job, and there are many customers who talk down to me because they assume that I don't go to college.

But then again, just becuse a person doesn't go to college, it doesn't make them any less-intelligent, in my opinion.
Reply 188
allymcb2
Here we go again with the pathetic insults.....How dare you make judgements/predictions about my background! If I havent posted it, its none of your business.

If you are unhappy with the overwhelming critiques, perhaps you should take a hint.
Reply 189
I find the fact that you project such status onto insults laughable. On the contrary. The greater the criticism, the harder I will attack. I find i to be the best form of defense.
Reply 190
allymcb2
......... My mother did the same for me as a dog does for its own offspring................

So now you are calling your mother a dog? The mammalian response in canis genus is quite different to homo sapians.
Reply 191
allymcb2
No. I am not putting forth moral relativism as a universal truth. It is based on the assumption that universal truth does not exist. If universal truth existed there would be one single ideology. But without knowing what universal truth is (or if it exists) we cannot construct that ideology, so the idea that morality is not relative does not bring us to any conclusion, because we cannot work out what is the right one.

But in accepting that moral relativism is a certainty, you are instilling value to a construct which holds that all constructs are equal in value. Therefore elevating it to status above any other construct, which is internally contradictory. Rehardless, that is a rather shaky area. What I find more concerning is that you hold that the holocaust and any such atrocity is equal in moral value to any ideology.

I think you will find that Hitler's ideology is logically inconsistent within itself. But that is by the by. Just because we both find the idea viscerally repulsive doesnt make it any more wrong than our own ideologies. I have assumed that universal truth does not exist, as I have yet to see any evidence that it does.

I think you will find that moral relativism is a heavily criticised outlook, and by accepting it and proposing it as some sort of attainment of higher intellect, you are only showing your lack of education on the subject.
Reply 192
allymcb2

But in accepting that moral relativism is a certainty, you are instilling value to a construct which holds that all constructs are equal in value. Therefore elevating it to status above any other construct, which is internally contradictory. Rehardless, that is a rather shaky area. What I find more concerning is that you hold that the holocaust and any such atrocity is equal in moral value to any ideology.

I think you will find that moral relativism is a heavily criticised outlook, and by accepting it and proposing it as some sort of attainment of higher intellect, you are only showing your lack of education on the subject.
Reply 193
Dr_SS_Lecter
So now you are calling your mother a dog? The mammalian response in canis genus is quite different to homo sapians.

never the less it is merely an automated response.
Reply 194
It is like respecting her for going to the loo. Something done by natural course. Just because dogs do it differently does not mean that she deserves recognition for it.
Reply 195
Laika

I am not accepting it as a certainty. I am accepting it as the most logical result with the available information. I am fully aware of its criticisms, and I am not holding it up as an attainment of higher intellect. I am challenging you to prove the existence of universal truth, or at least present evidence for it. As this is the crux upon which your argument rests.
Reply 196
allymcb2
I am not accepting it as a certainty. I am accepting it as the most logical result with the available information. I am fully aware of its criticisms, and I am not holding it up as an attainment of higher intellect. I am challenging you to prove the existence of universal truth, or at least present evidence for it. As this is the crux upon which your argument rests.

I do not claim to have any ideology which acheives absolute moral truth; however I do contest that there are outlooks which are far more productive and logical than moral relativism.

Unfortunately they require some level of empathy or respect for other conscious beings so I doubt you'd subscribe to them considering your earlier remarks.
Reply 197
No I would not. I am not interested in 'productivity' its merit is an axiom in itself.
allymcb2
No Oxford don would accept such a bribe.

You obviously haven't heard much about dons:rolleyes:
Reply 199
allymcb2
Well said
Unfortunately, it is inevitable in these things,(unless you are working exclusively with the intelligent, and that adjective applies to no-one thus far in the debate).

Really? But you seem to hold yourself in disproportionately high esteem...

Latest

Trending

Trending