The Student Room Group

feeling a bit stressed about uni choice

i just need to get this off my chest but basically im feeling stressed because everytime i think about the uni i chose through clearing i can't help but think of all the negatives instead of the positive things

obviously it wasn't my first choice so i do have a bit of a bitter feeling about it, but by no means at all is the uni im going to bad, but it's also not at the top of the rankings for my course though

i just feel like i might of settled for somewhere i already had in mind because i didn't have very high expectations for myself on results day and didn't look at the higher ranking unis, after the panic of trying to get a place through clearing calmed down i looked at the rankings for my course again and i saw unis that never even crossed my mind, just maybe if i researched a bit more and tried calling other places around i could potentially be going somewhere 'better'

then again, im not even sure if those unis did clearing or would've let me onto the course in the first place, it's all a big 'what if' and 'what could've been' sort of situation, im still going to a russell group just not one of the top ones but my worry is maybe this choice i made will have a massive impact

i just really don't want to have any regrets but also i feel like im judging too much before anything has even happened, i don't want to end up feeling like i made the wrong choice but at the same time i don't know how it would've been for me at those other unis either without ever going, so i know it may seem like im thinking too much into it, but i always think about the worst case scenario and as if i have screwed myself over, i guess all i want is some advice about how to get out of this mentality and stop being so anxious
Original post by Anonymous
i just need to get this off my chest but basically im feeling stressed because everytime i think about the uni i chose through clearing i can't help but think of all the negatives instead of the positive things

obviously it wasn't my first choice so i do have a bit of a bitter feeling about it, but by no means at all is the uni im going to bad, but it's also not at the top of the rankings for my course though

i just feel like i might of settled for somewhere i already had in mind because i didn't have very high expectations for myself on results day and didn't look at the higher ranking unis, after the panic of trying to get a place through clearing calmed down i looked at the rankings for my course again and i saw unis that never even crossed my mind, just maybe if i researched a bit more and tried calling other places around i could potentially be going somewhere 'better'

then again, im not even sure if those unis did clearing or would've let me onto the course in the first place, it's all a big 'what if' and 'what could've been' sort of situation, im still going to a russell group just not one of the top ones but my worry is maybe this choice i made will have a massive impact

i just really don't want to have any regrets but also i feel like im judging too much before anything has even happened, i don't want to end up feeling like i made the wrong choice but at the same time i don't know how it would've been for me at those other unis either without ever going, so i know it may seem like im thinking too much into it, but i always think about the worst case scenario and as if i have screwed myself over, i guess all i want is some advice about how to get out of this mentality and stop being so anxious

The only one who can understand you and take care of you, is you, yourself
So you must take care of yourself.

you cannot change the past now. But those ranking does not matter. The most important thing for your course is finishing with a high grade.
Firstly, congratulations on getting into a russell group uni!
Secondly I think you are being a little harsh on yourself. None of us can second guess what may have happened if we were in different circumstances and you made choices based on the information you had at the time.
Don't worry too much, be kind to yourself and even if you have regrets in the future, it's never too late to change the path you are on. You sound very conscientious and will do well I'm sure :smile:
Anon,

Higher ranked universities do not necessarily mean a better experience at university.

They may have a good reputation but that does not mean that you will enjoy the course or excel, that being said, I hope that you will thrive and enjoy your time at university : ) but there are many factors that make up a good university experience.

You will meet people in life who will want to know what university you went to, so that they can look up or look down on you. Only you can decide if you want to be friends with those people.

Going to a Russell Group university should not define you! You are going to university to study a subject that you are interested in/passionate about, so you can work in a particular field. You are not going to university for a cool hoodie or to name drop the university you attended so you can sound more impressive to people. You are going to get a degree!

You can get that degree at many places and you could enjoy yourself at university at many places! Don't believe the lie that if you don't go this specific university then that's it, you can't enjoy uni and you can't succeed. It's just not true!

If you go with a negative attitude, then all you will see are the negatives, but if you go focused on making the most of university then you will enjoy yourself wherever you go.

What ifs about the past don't help, but what ifs for the present do.

What if you chose to be thankful for the opportunity to go to university?
What if you thought about the opportunity to have more independence and to meet new people who could become lifelong friends?
What if you put your energy into enjoying the last few days of summer, packing and learning more about the course, university or the new area you will be living or studying in?
What if you chose to remember that you would be the same person which ever university you went to, so you can a bring positive attitude wherever you go?
What if you chose to start living in the present and not the past?

Stop wasting time feeling sorry for yourself!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending