The Student Room Group

bad predicted grades :(

so my school based our predicted grades off of one sent of exams and they happed to go badly so i only got predicted ACC, i take maths computer science and physics (im mortified by these grades btw). My school also made it very clear that we would not have a chance to change them AT ALL once we have gotten them.
I really want to study computer science or electronic/ electrical eng at a good/russell group uni (the dream is eee at UCL rn). I also know that i'm capable of getting WAY higher grades in the actual exams so im intending on going through clearing. However i still need to apply to courses through UCAS and the only ones that will deffo secure me a place are in "bad" unis or have an intergrated foundation year (most of these courses have requirements of CCC i think). I would probs feel very embarrassed if i did take a foundation year just because of how competitive the people at my school are. Do you think its worth taking the risk and putting down unis that have higher reqirements than my predicted and if so how much higher should they be.
Ive also done an EPQ, but havent gotten my predicted. I am also not sure which unis have reduced offer for the course i want to take. Im starting to feel that it was a waste of time as it hasnt benefitted me in the way i expected so far.

im really really stuck with what to do rn and would appreciate any advice
thanks alot :smile:))
Reply 1
Oh my god what a nightmare! I cant believe there is ZERO opportunity at your school for resits and there are no aspects of contextual predicteds at all??
Definitely put down a few safe options BUT don't it stop you from applying to a few unis you think you'll meet the grade requirements for.
Also I hate to say this but for the love of god, don't go unheard with your predicteds, if you think you can get higher, don't shut up about it, I am telling you, meet with everyone, cry, wail, explain your situation, it is NOT fair that you shouldn't get into a uni because of a rough week, whatever the cause.

Even if they made it clear you cant change them, it's unfair to assume that an exam like this wont have people who underestimated the importance of the exam or just aren't having a good time with life and I am sure they know it so DON'T STOP PESTERING
DON'T LET IT REST.
I am rather annoying myself when it comes to school, hell even if you need to make a poster, DO IT. You will get what you want, be it a reconsideration of your predicteds or a resit, and anything is better than nothing.

All the best, hope it works out!!
Original post by Glumdrops
Oh my god what a nightmare! I cant believe there is ZERO opportunity at your school for resits and there are no aspects of contextual predicteds at all??
Definitely put down a few safe options BUT don't it stop you from applying to a few unis you think you'll meet the grade requirements for.
Also I hate to say this but for the love of god, don't go unheard with your predicteds, if you think you can get higher, don't shut up about it, I am telling you, meet with everyone, cry, wail, explain your situation, it is NOT fair that you shouldn't get into a uni because of a rough week, whatever the cause.

Even if they made it clear you cant change them, it's unfair to assume that an exam like this wont have people who underestimated the importance of the exam or just aren't having a good time with life and I am sure they know it so DON'T STOP PESTERING
DON'T LET IT REST.
I am rather annoying myself when it comes to school, hell even if you need to make a poster, DO IT. You will get what you want, be it a reconsideration of your predicteds or a resit, and anything is better than nothing.

All the best, hope it works out!!

oh trust me, ive tried. so have many of my friends. theres just no way of getting through to the teachers.
i sort of just shunned it away over the holidays and now ive come to the actual realisation of what happening.
Reply 3
(Original post by hhhhhhhhhannah)oh trust me, ive tried. so have many of my friends. theres just no way of getting through to the teachers.
i sort of just shunned it away over the holidays and now ive come to the actual realisation of what happening.

Oh man that is so dire, the realisation setting in is always the worst!! good god that is unreasonable. I am so sorry. I am afraid I cant do much for you, but take a video of dancing veggies boppin https://youtu.be/NPCgeuIPGTI?si=8JhAzmwiILp4zWxP and try to get some sleep!!!
Original post by hhhhhhhhhannah
so my school based our predicted grades off of one sent of exams and they happed to go badly so i only got predicted ACC, i take maths computer science and physics (im mortified by these grades btw). My school also made it very clear that we would not have a chance to change them AT ALL once we have gotten them.
I really want to study computer science or electronic/ electrical eng at a good/russell group uni (the dream is eee at UCL rn). I also know that i'm capable of getting WAY higher grades in the actual exams so im intending on going through clearing. However i still need to apply to courses through UCAS and the only ones that will deffo secure me a place are in "bad" unis or have an intergrated foundation year (most of these courses have requirements of CCC i think). I would probs feel very embarrassed if i did take a foundation year just because of how competitive the people at my school are. Do you think its worth taking the risk and putting down unis that have higher reqirements than my predicted and if so how much higher should they be.
Ive also done an EPQ, but havent gotten my predicted. I am also not sure which unis have reduced offer for the course i want to take. Im starting to feel that it was a waste of time as it hasnt benefitted me in the way i expected so far.

Which good unis such as UCL were in clearing for your subject this year? Are they likely to be there this year? What about accommodation via clearing? Would a better option be a gap year?
(edited 7 months ago)

Unfortunately the advice you have been given is pathetic. Screaming and crying gets you nowhere and would just show how immature you were.

You are now moving from a child to an adult and part of being an adult is to accept not everything is rosy and things go wrong which we have to accept.

As far as your predicted grades being based on one set of exams. That is reasonable. That is what A levels are based on and you wouldnt be able to change those results by screaming and crying. You just have to take responsibility for your failings in an adult way.

As far as where you go from here your best option is to discuss things with the school. Are you actually capable of getting into UCL. Obviously nobody on here knows your capability so it is difficult to advise. What is known is the vast majority of students dont reach their predicted grades in exam years. This happened this year again when students were complaining about harsh gradings which is what happens in exams.

As far as where to apply to that depends on the school being honest with you on what you can achieve and you being able to deliver those grades. UCL dont enter clearing so that isnt a choice. If you want to go to UCL you would be best not applying this year and taking a gap year. If the school doesnt believe you will achieve UCL grades perhaps it might be worth applying to 3 ABB or BBB universities who might make you offers you can reach for. Leave 2 choices until you have replies. If you have offers you could try a university that asks for higher. If you get rejections you have the choice of 2 lower graded or foundation courses.
Original post by Glumdrops
(Original post by hhhhhhhhhannah)oh trust me, ive tried. so have many of my friends. theres just no way of getting through to the teachers.

Oh man that is so dire, the realisation setting in is always the worst!! good god that is unreasonable. I am so sorry. I am afraid I cant do much for you, but take a video of dancing veggies boppin https://youtu.be/NPCgeuIPGTI?si=8JhAzmwiILp4zWxP and try to get some sleep!!!

omds what was that video 😭
Original post by swanseajack1
Unfortunately the advice you have been given is pathetic. Screaming and crying gets you nowhere and would just show how immature you were.

You are now moving from a child to an adult and part of being an adult is to accept not everything is rosy and things go wrong which we have to accept.

As far as your predicted grades being based on one set of exams. That is reasonable. That is what A levels are based on and you wouldnt be able to change those results by screaming and crying. You just have to take responsibility for your failings in an adult way.

As far as where you go from here your best option is to discuss things with the school. Are you actually capable of getting into UCL. Obviously nobody on here knows your capability so it is difficult to advise. What is known is the vast majority of students dont reach their predicted grades in exam years. This happened this year again when students were complaining about harsh gradings which is what happens in exams.

As far as where to apply to that depends on the school being honest with you on what you can achieve and you being able to deliver those grades. UCL dont enter clearing so that isnt a choice. If you want to go to UCL you would be best not applying this year and taking a gap year. If the school doesnt believe you will achieve UCL grades perhaps it might be worth applying to 3 ABB or BBB universities who might make you offers you can reach for. Leave 2 choices until you have replies. If you have offers you could try a university that asks for higher. If you get rejections you have the choice of 2 lower graded or foundation courses.

so if i apply to courses that have higher entry requirements would i have a chance of getting in or what, im kinda confused on how it works tbh. why would they give me an offer if my predicted are lower than what they require??
Original post by ageshallnot
Which good unis such as UCL were in clearing for your subject this year? Are they likely to be there this year? What about accommodation via clearing? Would a better option be a gap year?

yeah i was thinking about maybe taking a gap year but im really not sure
so if i apply to courses that have higher entry requirements would i have a chance of getting in or what, im kinda confused on how it works tbh. why would they give me an offer if my predicted are lower than what they require??

For somewhere like UCL that is likely to bee oversubscribed you are unlikely tpo get an offer with several grades below their requirement.
yeah i was thinking about maybe taking a gap year but im really not sure

As above, if you really want to get into a university such as UCL then you're not going to do it by applying this year with those predictions. Therefore you either have to go to a lower ranking university, do a foundation year, or apply for 2025.

most schools predict one or two grades up then what they already achieve, because if you actually put in the effort u improve. Her school probably didnt do this. These are the people not reaching predicted grades. I know people who literally achieve D's and E's in mocks and get predicted B's by sucking up to the school. Predicted grades are inherently stupid and unfair and usually theyre inaccurate too. Who cares what her school believes? that shouldn't be a factor. The examiners aren't going to see your "attitude" or predicted grades or if the teachers like u etc. They will only see what u wrote. u sound exactly like my school stop telling people that they cant do it lmao
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by anon123459804
most schools predict one or two grades up then what they already achieve, because if you actually put in the effort u improve. His school probably didnt do this. These are the people not reaching predicted grades. I know people who literally achieve D's and E's in mocks and get predicted B's by sucking up to the school. Predicted grades are inherently stupid and unfair and usually theyre inaccurate too. Who cares what his school believes? that shouldn't be a factor. The examiners aren't going to see your "attitude" or predicted grades or if the teachers like u etc. They will only see what u wrote. u sound exactly like my school stop telling people that they cant do it lmao

Hi, im also in a similar situation rn with similar subjects (maths cs spanish) but i have predictions of bbc (im tryna get it raised to abb tho :smile: ), im acc so sorry ur going thru this tho, its rlly awful. If you rlly wanna go ucl like its ur dream, then take a gap year and reapply with better grades. If ur fine going to other unis for eee not necessarily bad ones but like lower than ucl, then go through clearing cause electronic engineering is not competitive in the way econ or computer science is so their is likely to be plenty of places at russel group unis. However, if u want to do cs just take a gap year its so competitve icl :frown: dont go to a bad uni or do a foundation year if u dont want to tho, ur much better off having a gap year than doing a foundation year if you know u can get the grades. good luck i hope it works out :smile:
most schools predict one or two grades up then what they already achieve, because if you actually put in the effort u improve. Her school probably didnt do this. These are the people not reaching predicted grades. I know people who literally achieve D's and E's in mocks and get predicted B's by sucking up to the school. Predicted grades are inherently stupid and unfair and usually theyre inaccurate too. Who cares what her school believes? that shouldn't be a factor. The examiners aren't going to see your "attitude" or predicted grades or if the teachers like u etc. They will only see what u wrote. u sound exactly like my school stop telling people that they cant do it lmao

The face is the vast majority of students dont reach their grades. In fact 3/4 dont. Your comments dont fit with the facts when exams are actually taken as against the totally false teacher assessed grades.

Perhaps you might like to explain why 16% got A* in teacher assessed conditions compared to 8% in exams.
The face is the vast majority of students dont reach their grades. In fact 3/4 dont. Your comments dont fit with the facts when exams are actually taken as against the totally false teacher assessed grades.

Perhaps you might like to explain why 16% got A* in teacher assessed conditions compared to 8% in exams.

because predicted grades are based on what the teachers think you'll get, not what you will actually get. the reason for the second is probably because these students got predicted a star because their teachers liked them, and they probably became complacent and didnt work hard enough. However students who get underpredicted are going to work harder to beat their teachers low unfair predictions. Getting predicted a C just means the teachers full on dont believe in you, but she clearly has the attitude to do much better in the actual exams. it is a a clear red flag that you arent allowed to challenge the predicted grades anyways lol
because predicted grades are based on what the teachers think you'll get, not what you will actually get. the reason for the second is probably because these students got predicted a star because their teachers liked them, and they probably became complacent and didnt work hard enough. However students who get underpredicted are going to work harder to beat their teachers low unfair predictions. Getting predicted a C just means the teachers full on dont believe in you, but she clearly has the attitude to do much better in the actual exams. it is a a clear red flag that you arent allowed to challenge the predicted grades anyways lol

Teachers are professional and answerable for their decisions and dont mark student down because they dont like them. Try living in the real world and that is that less than 10% do better than their predicted grades and most are 1 grade better. That is what actually happens in exam years. What basis and with what knowledge of exams do students have to challenge their predictions. How can they compare themselves with previous years students or students elsewhere.

This sort of thinking is exactly why predicted grades have to be made based exams, so that there is a consistency and rigor in what is given. Sounds like the school did a robust job to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending