The Student Room Group

Edexecel Physics Unit 4 January 2013 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Ramitha
i really dont get it:s-smilie: could u like explain how i select the appropriate scale. for example should i select 1m = 1cm or something like that.

I did it by using average human height and adding up a bit extra by eye, got the answer very close to 9.81.
Reply 81
Original post by Dog4444
A student places a capacitor across the terminals of this power supply. Suggest how this produces a constant voltage.

And you given the diagram of a power supply. You still saying it has nothing to do with the question?

The whole thing is so stupid. :frown:

the diagram is for output of the power supply so because the capacitor has now been put the output will no longer be the same because the capacitor is storing this charge
Original post by Ramitha
i really dont get it:s-smilie: could u like explain how i select the appropriate scale. for example should i select 1m = 1cm or something like that.

Yeah, you have to guess what average human height is. The range of answers is quite big though, so as long as your guess is sensible, you should be okay. And they even tell you in the question what your answer should approximately be. In the examiners report, it said a lot of people didn't use any kind of scale and just gave the measured answer. So you were meant to guess what the average human height is.
Reply 83
Original post by a10
the diagram is for output of the power supply so because the capacitor has now been put the output will no longer be the same because the capacitor is storing this charge

You realise that capacitor doesn't affect the power supply at all?
Reply 84
Original post by Dog4444
You realise that capacitor doesn't affect the power supply at all?

you are not understanding what im saying. Just take a break relax and look at the question and make sense of what we just said to you. It's really not that difficult your trying to make things wayy too complicated.
Reply 85
Original post by a10
you are not understanding what im saying. Just take a break relax and look at the question and make sense of what we just said to you. It's really not that difficult your trying to make things wayy too complicated.

May be, but everything you say just doesn't make any logical sense to me.

We given a power supply with varying voltage. A capacitor is attached to it. Question asks to suggest how it produces constant voltage, but it just doesn't, right?

You said:

1) The diagram is not relevant. But the question clearly mentions that exactly this power supply with voltage according to the diagram is used.

2)
Original post by a10

And it's just not true, because the power supply will keep supplying energy the same way, and it's not affected by the capacitor (at least, in this case).

I appreciate your help, but it's just seems so wrong to me. :mad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Dog4444
May be, but everything you say just doesn't make any logical sense to me.

We given a power supply with varying voltage. A capacitor is attached to it. Question asks to suggest how it produces constant voltage, but it just doesn't, right?

You said:

1) The diagram is not relevant. But the question clearly mentions that exactly this power supply with voltage according to the diagram is used.

2)

And it's just not true, because the power supply will keep supplying energy the same way, and it's not affected by the capacitor (at least, in this case).

I appreciate your help, but it's just seems so wrong to me. :mad:

you just answered your own question. "The power supply will keep supplying energy the same" so now answer the question. If you still want to argue ask your teacher.
Reply 87
Original post by AS01
are u talking about the circuit in the diagram in part c?

No, the link you gave.

Original post by a10
you just answered your own question. "The power supply will keep supplying energy the same" so now answer the question. If you still want to argue ask your teacher.

Don't understand, but thanks, anyway.

The only thing I don't understand is why the capacitor will not discharge when the voltage of a power supply connected to it will drop (Q=CV and voltage falls so less charge so less p,d across plates of capacitor).
Reply 88
Original post by Dog4444
No, the link you gave.

lol for that we are the one switching the point. when we have to charge we connect it to the top one when we have to discharge we connect it to the circuit which will include only resistor and capacitor.
Reply 89
Original post by AS01
lol for that we are the one switching the point. when we have to charge we connect it to the top one when we have to discharge we connect it to the circuit which will include only resistor and capacitor.

Yeah, of course. Just in this question we have no switches and no resistor (before part C).
Reply 90
Original post by Dog4444
Yeah, of course. Just in this question we have no switches and no resistor (before part C).

oh yeah. infact it did not mention anything about those components
Reply 91
Original post by AS01
oh yeah. infact it did not mention anything about those components

Someone help me with these questions i cant seem to get the right answer :s-smilie:

1) A capacitor charges through a 0.22M ohm resistor. Calculate the capacitance if the time taken for it to reach full charge is 5 minutes.

2) A 47 micro Farad capacitor is charged to a potential difference of 15V and then discharged through a 100k ohm resistor. How long does it take for half of the energy stored in the capacitor to have dissipated in the circuit.

This is what i did for part 1)

Tau = RC

5 minutes - 300 seconds

300= 0.22 x 10 ^6 x C

C = 300/ 0.22 x 10^ 6 = 1.36 x 10 ^ -3 Farad. (but the answer is 2.7 x 10^-4 F ) :cry:

for part 2) i did this:

Energy stored in a capacitor

W = 1/2 CV^2

soo W = 0.5 x 47 x 10^-6 x 15 ^2

W = 5.3 x 10^ -3 J (total energy)

Then we need to work out the time constant (tau) :

Tau = 100 x 10^3 x 47 x 10^-6 = 4.7 seconds

Sooo half the energy stored ( 5.3 x 10 ^-3) / 2 = 2.65 x 10^-3 J

and that will be 2.35 seconds???!

(the answer is supposed to be 1.6 :redface:)

Someone help?!!! :angry:
Reply 92
Original post by a10
Someone help me with these questions i cant seem to get the right answer :s-smilie:

1) A capacitor charges through a 0.22M ohm resistor. Calculate the capacitance if the time taken for it to reach full charge is 5 minutes.

2) A 47 micro Farad capacitor is charged to a potential difference of 15V and then discharged through a 100k ohm resistor. How long does it take for half of the energy stored in the capacitor to have dissipated in the circuit.

This is what i did for part 1)

Tau = RC

5 minutes - 300 seconds

300= 0.22 x 10 ^6 x C

C = 300/ 0.22 x 10^ 6 = 1.36 x 10 ^ -3 Farad. (but the answer is 2.7 x 10^-4 F ) :cry:

300 sec =5RC, RC=60.
Reply 93
Original post by Dog4444
300 sec =5RC, RC=60.

ahhhhhhh how do you do part 2!
Reply 94
Original post by a10
ahhhhhhh how do you do part 2!

W = 1/2 CV^2

It's correct, but after that I can't follow where your conclusion came from.

Half energy stored = 1/2CV^2. Do you know how to proceed from here?
Reply 95
Original post by Dog4444
W = 1/2 CV^2

It's correct, but after that I can't follow where your conclusion came from.

Half energy stored = 1/2CV^2. Do you know how to proceed from here?

i was going to do that but then i thought it was wrong caz it doesnt make sense we just worked out the energy? so why would it equal energy again? haha
Reply 96
Original post by a10
i was going to do that but then i thought it was wrong caz it doesnt make sense we just worked out the energy? so why would it equal energy again? haha

Well, you need to find out the energy first to calculate half-energy, to get the values for voltage. So, there's nothing weird about it.
Reply 97
Original post by Dog4444
Well, you need to find out the energy first to calculate half-energy, to get the values for voltage. So, there's nothing weird about it.

but we are trying to find time? not voltage?
Reply 98
The way I would do part two is to find the charge which coincides with half the energy as that will most definitely give you half the energy and then use q=q0(e^-t/rc) to solve for time :smile:
Reply 99
So write 0.5Q0=Q0(e-^t/rc) cancel q0's and then use logarithms to obtain t

Quick Reply

Latest