The Student Room Group

Money saving tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lalalaliv
Some great tips here, I definitely need to utilise them because I'm terrible with money.

I signed up to mysurvey.com a year or so ago and have earned around £50 since as you can exhange reward points from doing surveys for deposits into a paypal account. They can be a bit boring sometimes but worth it for an easy tenner now and then. I've also been sent products to test before like Elle magazine and a volvic drink that wasn't even on the shelves yet so it can be quite good at times!

I was really skeptical of these types of sites but a friend of mine makes a decent amount of money from them so I started to give them a go. Paidsurveys is the one I use the most. For a little time a day I can get a couple hundred pounds per month.
Also I saw something about drinking tap water in restaurants. Yes! what a money saver that one is and helps the waistband!!
Reply 61
Original post by The_Faceman
I was really skeptical of these types of sites but a friend of mine makes a decent amount of money from them so I started to give them a go. Paidsurveys is the one I use the most. For a little time a day I can get a couple hundred pounds per month.

As was I before I started because I only wanted to do it for actual money because I'm not really interested in vouchers and stuff.

What's the web address of the one you use? Struggling to find it on google.
As was I before I started because I only wanted to do it for actual money because I'm not really interested in vouchers and stuff.

What's the web address of the one you use? Struggling to find it on google.

Its Paidsurveys.uk.com
A guy in my class told me about it and I'm doing alright out of it. It links to survey sites so you can double your earnings. Let me know what you think just in case I'm wasting my time on it!
Reply 63
Original post by The_Faceman
Its Paidsurveys.uk.com
A guy in my class told me about it and I'm doing alright out of it. It links to survey sites so you can double your earnings. Let me know what you think just in case I'm wasting my time on it!

I'm on it now, I'm quite dubious though because you have to say yes or no to so many offers. Also it keeps redirecting me to the paid offers website, I did the first two offers and earnt £100 apparently but don't wanna do the third because you have to open a current account with Santander and you have to complete all 26 offers to get the money.

How did you actually earn money?
I'm on it now, I'm quite dubious though because you have to say yes or no to so many offers. Also it keeps redirecting me to the paid offers website, I did the first two offers and earnt £100 apparently but don't wanna do the third because you have to open a current account with Santander and you have to complete all 26 offers to get the money.

How did you actually earn money?

Yeah once you get past the original signup it works a lot better. Things like that are expected as the company has to make money from the site.
On your homepage just click the links to the other survey sites. You get money from those sites from completing their surveys. For me its a good way to get access to lots of survey sites without having to trawl through the internet looking for them. Also means you won't be on a scam site as well
If you're having any more problems let me know and I'll try and help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
There is so many ways to make a little bit of extra cash while at university, found this article when I started at Uni. Some ways worked some did not.

http://www.savethestudent.org/make-money/10-quick-cash-injections.html

Some are a little silly

I got an advert on my car was a nice £30 a month for doing nothing. Called Uni Car Ads

Anyone got any other ideas - i don't want to work in a bar again.
Reply 66
Hi,
Make a list of important things and for those things also that you can live without them.
Daily write you expenses.
I tend to enter comps to save some money!

One competition I found was from Lenovo, they're running a competition called lenovo inspire me you can win a laptop, a holiday alongside £1500 spending money, pretty decent.

And you get to choose your own destinations out of New York, Antigua, Tokyo, Portland Oregon. :smile:

U Just gotta watch the videos and pick a destination and enter. The laptop is pretty cool aswell. The link for the comp is below....

http://www.lenovoinspireme.com/
Reply 68
hey you can check this affordable art online. am sharing this sites for you to check it out. http://dealsandjobsonline.blogspot.com/2013/09/buy-affordable-art-online.html
Here are some tips to save money -
. Writs a list before you go shopping and stick to it.
. Invite friends over instead of going out.
. Give up expensive habits,like cigarettes, alcohol and drugs.
. Instead of throwing out some damaged clothing, repair it instead.
. Don't spend big money entertaining your children.
Reply 70
Go Groopie is a daily deals website and has some great discounts on a whole range of products to travel packages too. Great way of saving money on items that normally cost loads
Reply 71
Original post by Kate.
Basically just read moneysavingexpert.com, I doubt there's anything you can think of that isn't already on there lol.

Completely agree with this, off the top of my head I can't think of anything not on that site. I'd particularly like to mention his money saving mantras though (Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I get it cheaper elsewhere?' or 'Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I get it cheaper elsewhere?' if you're skint) which basically tell you to always question if something is cheapest, as I've noticed a few people give advice that could lead some people to spend more rather than save.

Things like saying you should get a railcard as even if you only make a couple of journeys the savings will pay for it or you should shop at Aldi/local markets because it'll be cheaper. Whilst these things may be true for some they're not for all and therefore aren't good pieces of advice. I personally have worked out I would lose money under these suggestions. I'd therefore always recommend questioning advice given and checking it will actually save you money before blindly following it.
Only drink water except for special occasions.

If you have a big group of friends and everyone is skint do a birthday type "secret santa". So you only need to get one of your friends a birthday present each year.

If your looking for dresses I'd really recommend ebay. Most people only wear a special dress a few times so you can get stuff in brand-new condition for a fraction of the price.

Keep a money diary and see where you can cut corners.

I'm 23 so I don't really drink alcohol much or go to bars anymore. And seriously the amount of money it saves is amazing. I drank lots when I was at Uni so I understand you guys will want to go out and have fun (I did too), but cutting out alcohol and the social scene really saves so much money. I only plan to drink on special occasions now. And also cigarettes are the biggest waste of money.

Don't buy newspapers or magazines as all the info is online.

I think the majority of girls spend way too much on cosmetics. I mostly have the staples: my foundation, powder, blusher, mascara and a few eye shadows and lipsticks that go with most outfits. Only buy nail varnish to match an outfit for a special occasion and don't wear it generally.
(edited 10 years ago)
+ take a shower instead of a bath

+ only use the heater when it really cold

+ use your bike more often

+ use less makeup
Reply 74
One simple, but good way of saving money is every time you get a £2 coin, put it in a piggy bank. :tongue:
If you are thinking about buying a second hand car consider one that has had an LPG conversion. It costs about 70p/litre.

You still have a petrol tank as the car starts and runs on petrol until the engine is warm, then switches automatically to gas. Once it has switched you are using fuel at getting on for half the usual price.
Dont use fabric conditioner - use a splash of white vinegar instead.
Reply 77
Some good tips on here.. I'd suggest using an app called MySuperList which basically shows u all the prices for one product e.g. Weetabix prices from Sainsburys,Aldi, Tesco, Asda and so on... Pretty useful at times hahaha

Overall I'd suggest just keeping track of your day to day expenses and only buying stuff when you really need it such as new clothes or other stuff like that

Budgeting is becoming such a major part of student life! Its a good life skill though:yep:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by snozzle
Where's the cheapest fuel? I think you can save 10p a litre if you spend £50 at sainsburys but not sure.

Never get these things. If I have to spend £50 first, im not really saving. Anyway you can save more of your dole money by cycling to work rather than driving.:rolleyes: plus you get a bit fitter.
Original post by Laomedeia
Never get these things. If I have to spend £50 first, im not really saving. Anyway you can save more of your dole money by cycling to work rather than driving.:rolleyes: plus you get a bit fitter.

The upfront cost is more expensive upfront but cheaper in the long run because a driver is gonna use £50 of petrol at some point

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending