The Student Room Group

Apocalypse Pods To Beat The End Of The World

http://news.sky.com/story/1025452/apocalypse-pods-to-beat-the-end-of-the-world

A Chinese inventor intends to ride out the end of the world with survival pods designed to beat tsunamis and earthquakes.

As people across the globe tremble in anticipation of next week's supposed Mayan-predicted apocalypse, one Chinese villager says he has just what humanity needs - tsunami-proof survival pods.
Former farmer and furniture maker Liu Qiyuan, 45, calls the spheres Noah's Arks, designed to withstand towering tsunamis and devastating earthquakes.
The pods use a glass fibre casing over a steel frame. They cost 300,000 yuan (£30,000) each, and are equipped with oxygen tanks, food and water supplies.
"The pod won't have any problems even if there are 1,000-metre-high waves... it's like a ping pong ball, its skin may be thin, but it can withstand a lot of pressure," said Mr Liu at his workshop in Qiantun, an hour from Beijing.
"The pods are designed to carry 14 people at a time, but it's possible for 30 people to survive inside for at least two months."

Personally, I've alerted father to this, as I don't like the prospect of being trapped underground in our Code 1 bunker in the country. And it's only £30k anyway.

So, what do you think of this? Would you order one? Are you going to?
Reply 1
The problem with living through Armageddon is the **** fest you wake up to. I'm not sure I want to survive the complete downfall of civilisation and wake up to a world where the flu may kill you.
Original post by Aj12
The problem with living through Armageddon is the **** fest you wake up to. I'm not sure I want to survive the complete downfall of civilisation and wake up to a world where the flu may kill you.

That's true.

In any case, if belief that the world is going to end this year is only because it's based on the Mayan Calendar; then we can be well assured that the "world" will definitely not end, because the end of the Mayan Calendar long count is much like the end of any year (i.e. 31st December; when 31st December ends, the world doesn't end; the calendar merely restarts).

What I'm actually worried about is the many nutters who believe so much that something will happen that they actually (whether willingly, intentionally or not) cause something to happen - this would be deluded people. I mean, planes may go down, terrorist attacks may happen - but not because of the Mayan calendar, but actually because nutters believed the "prophecy" (there never was any explicit prophecy by the Mayans) and were frightened and thought they had nothing to lose or something. Really, I can almost see some sort of domino effect/contagious mass panic effect occurring and that's what's slightly worrying.

Let's not also forget the many hundreds if not thousands (if not more?) across the planet who have sold everything and ended their normal lives and are now "waiting" for the end of the world - what happens when it doesn't "end". There'll undoubtedly be a lot of suicides - but there may also be craziness beyond this. Think about it - no money, no job, no house or anything - they have nothing to lose....

Basically, it may just become some ugly half completed self-fulfilled prophecy...
Reply 3
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
That's true.

In any case, if belief that the world is going to end this year is only because it's based on the Mayan Calendar; then we can be well assured that the "world" will definitely not end, because the end of the Mayan Calendar long count is much like the end of any year (i.e. 31st December; when 31st December ends, the world doesn't end; the calendar merely restarts).

You've not heard of the return of Bolon Yokte?
Original post by Martyn*
You've not heard of the return of Bolon Yokte?

Oh no, oh dear. I've not heard of him.

But I've just searched it up now and it seems that my knowledge of the 2012 phenomenon is not as good as I thought. So, the Mayans also believed that this Bolon guy would come on 21 December 2012...

In any case, I don't see why we should trust or believe the Mayans - why do you think we should believe them?
Reply 5
i'm still scared it is going to end, my friends said it will start with a mega earthquake
Original post by lil hottie
i'm still scared it is going to end, my friends said it will start with a mega earthquake

You needn't be scared. So far, there isn't really any proof. Belief in all of this is not so much more different than belief in religions - and proof of things there is fairly scarce, if existent at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending