The Student Room Group

American Lit context (OCR English Literature A Level)

Does anyone have any good American Lit 1880-1940 context points? I feel like I keep saying the same basic points again and again.

My main 2 texts are Gatsby and Grapes.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sizeable Muppet
Does anyone have any good American Lit 1880-1940 context points? I feel like I keep saying the same basic points again and again.

Thanks!
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1iCxGFoZqHghbv27MiVHn9vbqjsBGasC2uLWwB7DQHNQ for the critical appreciation question!
Original post by Sizeable Muppet

Thanks!

Also check out my revision channel: ‘gabby’s Revision channel’ = I did a revision video on The great gatsby context!
Reply 3

it says on this powerpoint that A03 is 50% but it isn't, its actually 12.5% i swear4?
The unseen extract is 12.5% context, but the comparative essay between the two texts is 50% ao3 :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by FThisSI'mOut
The unseen extract is 12.5% context, but the comparative essay between the two texts is 50% ao3 :smile:
Oh so does that powerpoint context count for Gatsby and Grapes of wrath too?? :smile:
during prohibition, there was obviously increased smuggling and organised crime, but the american government tried to combat the illegal sales of alcohol by adding poisonous chemicals, but the gangs hired chemists to make the alcohol safe to drink. the government then added even stronger poison, which resulted in around 10,000 deaths in total. also, alcohol was thought to be the reason of crime in america but the prohibition saw a sharp increase in all sorts of crime including assault and theft; police department costs rose during this time. reckless driving is reflected in the carelessness of gatsby's guests, myrtle's death, and the accidents in grapes as well - car crashes resulted in over 23,000 deaths and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in property damage.
Original post by amanijm
Oh so does that powerpoint context count for Gatsby and Grapes of wrath too?? :smile:

I mean, I've looked through the slides (not the powerpoint don't wanna get sued), and there's definitely stuff that applies to GoW and TGG, like Marxism and the Prohibition. But I think that this is mainly meant to help you with the unseen extract, since you can get anything from 1880 to 1940 :smile:
Original post by amanijm
it says on this powerpoint that A03 is 50% but it isn't, its actually 12.5% i swear4?

Yeah the comparative essay ao3 is 50% sorry for the confusion! I just added that for my personal benefit as a few of the events I put in the slides are beneficial for the grapes of wrath text because it’s full of so many events that could link! Sorry for the confusion and good luck in your exam!
Original post by amanijm

On my revision channel on YouTube, ‘Gabby’s Revision channel’, there is a Gatsby context video! The critical appreciation slideshow I made is beneficial for the grapes of wrath text as it’s full of historical events! E.g American war of independence can link to the xenophobia towards the ‘okies’
Reply 10
Original post by gabbylaur2n
Yeah the comparative essay ao3 is 50% sorry for the confusion! I just added that for my personal benefit as a few of the events I put in the slides are beneficial for the grapes of wrath text because it’s full of so many events that could link! Sorry for the confusion and good luck in your exam!

thanks you too! x
Reply 11
Lend us some gatsby's quotes ladsss. Or i am screwed. Only have 2
Reply 12
Original post by Ysushdb

'her voice was full of money' shows Gatsby seeing daisy as a symbol of his american dream - attaching monetary value to her

'he came alive to me, delivered suddenly from the womb of his purposeless splendour' - nicks perception of gatsby changes nd sets gatsby apart from the other characters who are presented (thru nicks eyes) as lacking purpose - also shows in daisy saying 'What will we do the next day, and the next 30 years after that?"

gatsby's daydreams being 'a promise that the rock of the world was founded securely on a fairy's wing'

'his mind would never romp again like the mind of God's' - what gatsby knows will happen after he kisses dais

I'm doing this off the top of my head sorry idk anymore
Original post by Ysushdb

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And one fine morning——

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. (9)

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. "Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had." (1)

"They're a rotten crowd," I shouted across the lawn. "You're worth the whole damn bunch put together." (8)

'I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." (1)

"They're such beautiful shirts," she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. "It makes me sad because I've never seen such—such beautiful shirts before." (5)

“Her voice is full of money,” he said suddenly.

[Tom], among various physical accomplishments, had been one of the most powerful ends that ever played football at New Haven—a national figure in a way, one of those men who reach such an acute limited excellence at twenty-one that everything afterward savors of anti-climax.” (1)

"Well, it's a fine book, and everybody ought to read it. The idea is if we don't look out the white race will be—will be utterly submerged. It's all scientific stuff; it's been proved." (1)

"And what's more, I love Daisy too. Once in a while I go off on a spree and make a fool of myself, but I always come back, and in my heart I love her all the time." (7)

“And I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy." (3)

"I hate careless people. That's why I like you." (3.)

With the influence of the dress her personality had also undergone a change. The intense vitality that had been so remarkable in the garage was converted into impressive hauteur. Her laughter, her gestures, her assertions became more violently affected moment by moment and as she expanded the room grew smaller around her until she seemed to be revolving on a noisy, creaking pivot through the smoky air. (2)

"Daisy! Daisy! Daisy!" shouted Mrs. Wilson. "I'll say it whenever I want to! Daisy! Dai——"

Making a short deft movement Tom Buchanan broke her nose with his open hand. (2)

"Beat me!" he heard her cry. "Throw me down and beat me, you dirty little coward!" (7)

He was one of these worn-out men...He was his wife's man and not his own. (7)

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"
—THOMAS PARKE D'INVILLIERS
The epigraph of the novel immediately marks money and materialism as a key theme of the book the listener is implored to “wear the gold hat” as a way to impress his lover. In other words, wealth is presented as the key to love such an important key that the word “gold” is repeated twice. It’s not enough to “bounce high” for someone, to win them over with your charm. You need wealth, the more the better, to win over the object of your desire.

“They had spent a year in France, for no particular reason, and then drifted here and there unrestfully wherever people played polo and were rich together.” (1)

“In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars. At high tide in the afternoon I watched his guests diving from the tower of his raft or taking the sun on the hot sand of his beach while his two motor-boats slit the waters of the Sound, drawing aquaplanes over cataracts of foam. On week-ends his Rolls-Royce became an omnibus, bearing parties to and from the city, between nine in the morning and long past midnight, while his station wagon scampered like a brisk yellow bug to meet all trains. And on Mondays eight servants including an extra gardener toiled all day with mops and scrubbing-brushes and “He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her hammers and garden-shears, repairing the ravages of the night before….” (3)

perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete. (6)

I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailors' eyes—a fresh, green breast of the new world.” (9)

“High in a white palace, the King’s daughter, the golden girl…” (7)

Reply 14
I survived the war
Original post by Ysushdb
I survived the war

So have I! I blame Trump for the extract being about immigrants :/

I want to especially thank @gabbylaur2n for her preseentation and the video on her youtube channel, they gave me the last minute boost I needed and I managed to use some of it in my exams! So thanks!
Original post by fthissi'mout
so have i! I blame trump for the extract being about immigrants :/

i want to especially thank @gabbylaur2n for her preseentation and the video on her youtube channel, they gave me the last minute boost i needed and i managed to use some of it in my exams! So thanks!
this makes me so happy thank you for using my resources and i bet you did amazing!
Original post by gabbylaur2n
this makes me so happy thank you for using my resources and i bet you did amazing!

You definitely did too!! How did you find the extract, and what question did you choose for the comparison?
Original post by FThisSI'mOut
You definitely did too!! How did you find the extract, and what question did you choose for the comparison?

the extract was okay! my line of argument was isolation in a changing world as the date of publication and title suggested the modernist period

i chose the female characters question as i revised gender before the exam! but yeah it was such a tiring exam my hand was hurting so much.

OVERALL I AM GLAD ENGLISH IS DONE AND WHATEVER I GET I WILL BE HAPPY WITH BECAUSE I GAVE IT MY ALL IF I DONT GET THE GRADES AT LEAST I TRIED AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS !!!

hope you did well as well and i hope you get the grades you want!!!

Do you happen to still have this?? :frown: In need for 2023 exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending