The Student Room Group

Do your A Levels matter?

Hi guys :smile:

So I'm doing A Levels in English Lang & Lit, Government & Politics, Sociology and Media.
I'm looking to do American Studies at University.
I would've liked to apply to Warwick but their American Studies course only accepts History and English Lit A Levels.

So, my question is, is it going to be a problem for me that I'm not doing History and English Lit when I apply to other uni's? Government & Politics is similar to History and we do a lot of the analysis that's done in History. English Lang & Lit also has a lot of the English Lit elements people value (analysis of context etc).

Reply 1
The best thing to do will be to just research the universities en masse and see what's right for you. It would still be worth emailing Warwick and just asking if they'll accept your subjects. There is always the off chance that they'll accept you. Likewise for other universities - Don't be afraid to ask!

UCAS has a list of all the universities doing particular courses, so just run through it and find out who does your course and what they want.
Reply 2
It's probably a bit early but I'm doing AS's this year :biggrin: I was considering switching next year to AS English Lit and History, but is it worth sacrificing full A Level's? I'd end up with 2 full A Levels (Sociology and Media) and 4 AS's (English Lang & Lit, Government & Politics, History and English Lit)...
Original post by nicole.elkins

So I'm doing A Levels in English Lang & Lit, Government & Politics, Sociology and Media.
I would've liked to apply to Warwick but their American Studies course only accepts History and English Lit A Levels.

So, my question is, is it going to be a problem for me that I'm not doing History and English Lit when I apply to other uni's? Government & Politics is similar to History and we do a lot of the analysis that's done in History. English Lang & Lit also has a lot of the English Lit elements people value (analysis of context etc).

I know someone who didn't get into History A-level and did Politics and English instead. They claimed that Warwick's American Studies course would still let them in without History.
Reply 4
It's probably a bit early but I'm doing AS's this year :biggrin: I was considering switching next year to AS English Lit and History, but is it worth sacrificing full A Level's? I'd end up with 2 full A Levels (Sociology and Media) and 4 AS's (English Lang & Lit, Government & Politics, History and English Lit)...

warwick certainly will not accept you with only 2 a levels
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
warwick certainly will not accept you with only 2 a levels

Yeah that's true, especially as the two are 'soft' subjects
Reply 6
Original post by The Polymath
I know someone who didn't get into History A-level and did Politics and English instead. They claimed that Warwick's American Studies course would still let them in without History.

Out of curiosity, did they do English Lit or Lang & Lit?
Out of curiosity, did they do English Lit or Lang & Lit?

Lit. But they didn't apply to Warwick in the end. I was just saying that they seemed pretty confident that Warwick American Studies would let them in without History A-level/GCSE.
Reply 8
Lit. But they didn't apply to Warwick in the end. I was just saying that they seemed pretty confident that Warwick American Studies would let them in without History A-level/GCSE.

Ahh ok :smile: I did History GCSE and I got a C. Would that help or hinder do we think?
Ahh ok :smile: I did History GCSE and I got a C. Would that help or hinder do we think?

I don't know. I didn't really believe him, but he seemed quite convinced. I think he got a C/D too, and then said he checked with Warwick American Studies and they said he's be fine if he got As in Politics+English? :dontknow:
I don't know. I didn't really believe him, but he seemed quite convinced. I think he got a C/D too, and then said he checked with Warwick American Studies and they said he's be fine if he got As in Politics+English? :dontknow:

Hmmm...I'll defo email them about it. Looking at the course though, I don't know if it's all that tbh...Where did your friend go in the end?
Hmmm...I'll defo email them about it. Looking at the course though, I don't know if it's all that tbh...Where did your friend go in the end?

He's applying this year, for Animation.
He's applying this year, for Animation.

Well good luck to him :smile:

Are you talking about Warwick's BA in History, Literature and Cultures of the Americas? If so, I can't see anything that says they 'only' accept History and English Literature A-levels. All I can see is that under 'Essential Subjects' they 'normally' want History OR English Literature:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/depta2z/cas/t704/

Or have I misunderstood you?
Nope, that's the one :smile:
I was just thinking they might get a bit iffy, especially as it seems my other two subjects are 'soft'...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
As ageshallnot said, they're website explicitly says:

ESSENTIAL SUBJECTS
Normally English or History at Advanced or Higher level, though candidates offering other subjects will be considered; minimum GCSE grade C in a modern foreign language is normally required.

'Normally' implies that, while preferred, they will likely consider candidates without it.
'English' implies English Literature or Lit&Lang (and maybe language, but that might be a grey area)
'though candidates offering other subjects will be considered' is the single sentence on that page which directly answers your question.

And your other subjects aren't going to be detrimental at all. Sociology is an essay-based subject and - while perhaps not as desirable as, say, psychology - is going to show that you have the right way of thinking for this sort of degree. Heck, it might even be more relevant than psych (I don't personally know, this isn't really my subject area..). Media adds a fourth subject which isn't really necessary, but it will show the admissions tutors that you're more rounded than the average candidate, and the creative skills that you develop could be useful in future (perhaps something to mention in your PS).

Stay as you are, do the full A-levels, and apply to Warwick. You'll be fine.

Good luck :smile:
xenite and I agree - go for it! :smile:

But you will need 3 A-levels (AAB) and an AS in another subject with at least a C.
Ahh, thankyou all very much for clearing that up
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending